Landlining From Sea Shore

Hi guys,

Anyone done this before and whats the method used? Any info will be appreciated . How long a line and what breaking strain? how many hooks and what size ? cheers

Wouldn't mind giving this a go as im a terrible angler.

rew

I have wanted to do this myself, but never have. The ones on ebay are like 3 or 4mm nylon braided rope. You can easily make your own though.

Hook size would depend on the species aimed for and the time if year, I would use 30lb snoods because they can potentially have a fishes teeth rubbing on it for a whole tide. But I would go 40lb plus winter time... 5-10 foot apart should be ok.

I think it would be a case of trial and error to perfect it.

• Like 1

if your setting long lines on a rising tide beware of numptys and there dogs, totally unaware that the tides coming in! its usually a long arsed run to go make sure that fido doesnt start snaffeling your baits when the tides racing in all around you! make sure you sett as late as you can and be there to pick it up as soon as you can get to the end closest to shore as people dont really like to see seagulls flapping around on the beach! my advice would be dont bother, theres to much to go wrong and it only takes one little mistake to end you up in hot water!

Edited by air gun ant
  • Like 2

Aren't you legally required to have your name and address on it somewhere? :hmm:

Good advice by ant there, I heard a tale once about two blokes who made a washing line type effort and came back to find a line of cormorants.. :icon_eek:

Yea, I would do it on the right tide. Set it last knockings and pick it up before its light (winter time). Probably anchor out the line and clip on the pre baited hook links next to the water as it comes in.........

But be aware of sinking sand and fast tides. Never go it alone at night.

I fish allot winter time and dig my own bait with my brother. St Marys bay is a big place when the tides out at night, On a big tide it comes in at fast walking pace............

Cheers

Try finding a sculded bit knock a couple a fencing poles in i use scaff poles but. Am out the way were i do it run yeh line in-between them but as tide dropes away you will need to be there other wise you will catch gulls lol ive netted in this way too

Aren't you legally required to have your name and address on it somewhere? :hmm:

Good advice by ant there, I heard a tale once about two blokes who made a washing line type effort and came back to find a line of cormorants.. :icon_eek:

lol never seen your post. Yeh black headed gull catch and realease though
  • Like 1

Yea, I would do it on the right tide. Set it last knockings and pick it up before its light (winter time). Probably anchor out the line and clip on the pre baited hook links next to the water as it comes in.........

But be aware of sinking sand and fast tides. Never go it alone at night.

I fish allot winter time and dig my own bait with my brother. St Marys bay is a big place when the tides out at night, On a big tide it comes in at fast walking pace............

Cheers

Don't i know it....been caught out once when i was out with the dogs...got to be so careful especially if it's been windy or a bit stormy and the sands have moved about. I wandered down about a mile long stretch of sand bar with the sea on one side and a wide ditch on the other where it had been carved out. I got about half way when i noticed the tide racing in. Booted it back along to find the sand bar completely cut off by chest deep water :doh: no one else about, no phone on me...probably the only time i've been scared for my life :icon_redface: managed it though...you don't realise how cold the North Sea is until you're wading through it in the middle of January :icon_redface:

Think i'll just stick to rod and reel lol

you should see how fast the tide comes in to morecambe bay!!! you wont outrun it put it that way! not something for the inexperienced.

Aye...i go at high tide now and follow the tide out, saves any bother lol

I tried long lining on a beach few years back . Got there as the tide was coming in , set the line and baited about 50 hooks , fixed the line on plywood boards both ends ( dug into the sand ) . Me my mrs and 3 kids (all under 5 ) 6 am , counting the catch as we set it down !!!! . Returned as the tide went out - only to find all the baits covered in crabs . I did not float the line , but it could well have been because it was a poor location . Haven't tried it since ! , any advice greatly welcome , as I am not a fisherman , the idea of food for the table is what appeals , and I would really like give it a go again .

Thanks

• Like 1