Bushing Bulls

My brother got me a staffxpit pup for Christmas when I was about 5-6yrs old & my brother used to use him for working he would bush like a spaniel no cover to thick he would smash thru it like a bulldozer he had an outstanding nose would mark,sit next holes waiting for something to pop out,jump or climb anything lol prey drive was second to none & he would do anything my brother told him to do he was the most obedient dog I've seen apart from trained spaniels etc,he got stolen when he was about 6-7yrs old from my back garden the b*****ds hes been gone 20 odd yrs now but never forgotten he was a dog of a lifetime atb cbx

• Like 1

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rubbish my staff would actively use her nose, she would follow sents without any difficulty from wood piles to gorse moor. Seen that dog track a scent for at least 400 yards  

and collies were bread for herding but you still want to youse a 3/4 collie to catch rabbits.....

My Patt has a smidgen of bull in him, no problem with his nose, no problem with his drive, he does everything that's asked of him, good cover dog for us.

Posted Images

off topic but... my staff bitch from supposed working lines is useless, had her out earlier and just passing the nettles had her itching like mad and whining, whereas the non working ped farm yard cocker x russel who just tagged along was through the nettles and brambles like nobodys business fs!

My staff used to suffer but she wouldn't whine or quit when out working it was always later when resting, same with brambles her face, ears and chin would be constantly scratched to fec. Just use hibiscrub to clean and teatree oil after for both nettle stings and bramble scratches :thumbs:

• Like 2
  • 4 months later...

bull types don't hunt by nose, they hunt by drive, bodierly presence,no nose required. they do

touch scent but don't rely on it.some bulls will pass cover, cover shy even, but once they see

game they will smash threw a wall let alone nettles !

most bulls are useless, most staff's wont hunt. american have a stronger hunting instinct.

every now and again you hear of bull terriers that hunt and some are vary good but these are the

exceptions.

coats are too thin, the violent ones you don't need in a pack.

like a lot of lads i wouldn't want a pure spaniel but i think they are a good base for crossing

to produce bushing dogs. i think the same of bulls i wouldn't wont a pure one but they are a

good base for bushing dogs.

i love their drive and power threw cover, a fit robust bull terrier type are like tanks going at full drive, they are catch dogs.

two of the best bushing dogs i ever saw were collie x staff - not a combination i would of

thought of - ,litter mates, good coats, 17-19 inch, leggy but thick set and strong, bulldozers

in cover.

• Like 1

bull types don't hunt by nose, they hunt by drive, bodierly presence,no nose required. they do

touch scent but don't rely on it.some bulls will pass cover, cover shy even, but once they see

most bulls are useless, most staff's wont hunt. american have a stronger hunting instinct.

every now and again you hear of bull terriers that hunt and some are vary good but these are the

exceptions.

like a lot of lads i wouldn't want a pure spaniel but i think they are a good base for crossing

to produce bushing dogs. i think the same of bulls i wouldn't wont a pure one but they are a

i love their drive and power threw cover, a fit robust bull terrier type are like tanks going at full drive, they are catch dogs.

two of the best bushing dogs i ever saw were collie x staff - not a combination i would of

thought of - ,litter mates, good coats, 17-19 inch, leggy but thick set and strong, bulldozers

in cover.

Rubbish my staff would actively use her nose, she would follow sents without any difficulty from wood piles to gorse moor. Seen that dog track a scent for at least 400 yards

• Like 8

When I read this title I actually thought it was about bushing for feral Bulls! :laugh:

I watched a program not that long ago where some native, Hawaians I believe, hunted feral Bulls with cur type dogs and when brought to bay, killed it with a native wooden spear!

• Like 1

I got a American bulldog here he's nearly nine now he works cover markes holes and I've seen him full speed throu fields and woods nose to the ground he can use he's nose they can be excellent bushing dogs and as was already said whatever they catch it's game over very quickly

When I read this title I actually thought it was about bushing for feral Bulls! :laugh:

I watched a program not that long ago where some native, Hawaians I believe, hunted feral Bulls with cur type dogs and when brought to bay, killed it with a native wooden spear!

There was hawian fella on monteria boar forum that hunted pig with pit catch dogs and mixed breed dogs few year ago.

I stopped going on it ,when they stopped being free lol

Think he was called Kauai boy.

exceptions.

in cover.

Hahaha mine marks holes, runs scent must do all that by taste!!!!!! Bulls have got very good noses actually but you wouldn't know that by your post,how many have you seen work I mean properly work to come up with an opinion like that?
  • Like 1