Hair Lost On My Whippet/greys Tail ? Help!!

go the chemist and ask for the stuff they use to treat scabies....its in a brown bottle and comes out like a milky white ......but it strait on a sponge and rub it in do it once daily.one my dogs had it happen on its back leg and an old boy told me do it.i thought he was taking the piss making out my dog had scabies but he wasn't and sure enough it whent.from then on i gave my dog a raw egg once a week .. :thumbs:

I would bet its 'stud tail' which is caused by a gland ( supracaudal gland) situated usually around 3-4 inches down from the root of the tail. It's veryverycommon in whippets and more noticeable in very fine coated smooth dogs. As mentioned some supplements to promote coat growth can help such as Seaweed etc but you are often stuck with it if it is stud tail as simply the gland is over producing which causes the problem.

Edited by Sirius

I have a whippetgrey x bullgrey the backs of his legs are bald and the hair on his tail comes and goes it doesn't bother him but it doesn't look great , ive tried most things but nothing works , the only thing i can say is its not uncommon in whippets greyhounds etc.

quite few bullxs get it, and whippet+greys, it called (Alopaecia)= form of baldness, you carnt really do lot about it.Your vet should give somthing balance the vitmans out in its body.that can control it :yes:

"Stud tail" just google Supracaudal Gland Hyperplasia dogs :thumbs: .

Seaweed for hair growth :laugh::laugh: thats why you never see a bald surfer.

post-2025-0-08413900-1377874250.jpg

note the good head of hair on this handsome chap!!

Edited by sandymere
  • Like 1