let me get this right, you are complaining about a bloke killing fox`s with a rifle because it will mean there will not be any for you to dig with your terriers. you also state these fox`s had not caused any trouble and theres no shoots local, my question would be, why would either method be used for no other reason than to kill fox`s??

I am not up with the law on terrier work in Ireland , but when i was younger and there were less restrictions on what we did with terriers , i would not kill every fox i dug or bolted , i wanted to test my terriers , and would release the vast majority , so long as they were healthy . You cant expect to find foxes if you kill every one you come across !

don`t you get what i am saying, sport is no longer an acceptable reason for either shooting or digging, justification is only possible with a firm reason, theres no way any argument for either terrier work or shooting could be won on the grounds of sport in the current political climate, I fully understand the testing of dogs without the will to always want to kill but it is impossible to justify to 99% of the public.

I get what you are saying , and i am not trying to justify unlawful terrier work , i was being devils advocate . But i do not see the point in killing for killings sake . I am no friend of the fox , but i do admire and respect it . The new "sport of fox shooting" with night vision ,lamps , and everything else is fine as long as its in an area that needs fox control . But i know loads of gangs of lads going to areas that have no predation problems and foxes are doing no harm , and shooting large numbers for what i can see is no more than bragging rights !!!

• Like 1

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll never get folks If you have a problem with what the blokes doing go tell him aint no point pissing and whinging about it on here

Here we go again playing right into the antis hands, slagging another field sport off, well done, they are bloody foxes for gods sake not corncrakes

the population of foxes in that area malt was already poor, no man can tell me those foxes were shot for the purpose of pest control, i believe in showing my quarry respect and fair play,,, that was j

let me get this right, you are complaining about a bloke killing fox`s with a rifle because it will mean there will not be any for you to dig with your terriers. you also state these fox`s had not caused any trouble and theres no shoots local, my question would be, why would either method be used for no other reason than to kill fox`s??

I am not up with the law on terrier work in Ireland , but when i was younger and there were less restrictions on what we did with terriers , i would not kill every fox i dug or bolted , i wanted to test my terriers , and would release the vast majority , so long as they were healthy . You cant expect to find foxes if you kill every one you come across !

don`t you get what i am saying, sport is no longer an acceptable reason for either shooting or digging, justification is only possible with a firm reason, theres no way any argument for either terrier work or shooting could be won on the grounds of sport in the current political climate, I fully understand the testing of dogs without the will to always want to kill but it is impossible to justify to 99% of the public.

I get what you are saying , and i am not trying to justify unlawful terrier work , i was being devils advocate . But i do not see the point in killing for killings sake . I am no friend of the fox , but i do admire and respect it . The new "sport of fox shooting" with night vision ,lamps , and everything else is fine as long as its in an area that needs fox control . But i know loads of gangs of lads going to areas that have no predation problems and foxes are doing no harm , and shooting large numbers for what i can see is no more than bragging rights !!!

i have to say the hunting ban was what in my view opened up the countryside to these types of shooters and spawned a whole new sport that has done far more damage to fox welfare than all hunting with dogs could ever manage. even though i do shoot as well as run dogs you only have to log on to the air gun section here to see the mentality of some shooters (not all i may add) now imagine that mentality gaining a few farms and an FAC and you can see how it happens. Managing the countryside is about respect and balance.

i have to say the hunting ban was what in my view opened up the countryside to these types of shooters and spawned a whole new sport that has done far more damage to fox welfare than all hunting with dogs could ever manage. even though i do shoot as well as run dogs you only have to log on to the air gun section here to see the mentality of some shooters (not all i may add) now imagine that mentality gaining a few farms and an FAC and you can see how it happens. Managing the countryside is about respect and balance.

Don't you go upsetting they puff gunners lol

• Like 1

Don't you go upsetting they puff gunners lol

me :whistling:

If the guy has managed to shoot that many then there must be a fair number of foxes about as it would be near impossible to get every one in that space of time. Foxes are pests not game and far too many people are treating it a sport first and pest control second. Fox numbers have been controlled for 100's of years and still there are too many in places. As foxes are not used for food then you dont need to be sensible about how many you "harvest"

Edited by wilbert
  • Like 1

If the guy has managed to shoot that many then there must be a fair number of foxes about as it would be near impossible to get every one in that space of time. Foxes are pests not game and far too many people are treating it a sport first and pest control second. Fox numbers have been controlled for 100's of years and still there are too many in places. As foxes are not used for food then you dont need to be sensible about how many you "harvest"

why would you harvest a pest?, a pest only becomes a pests when it clashes with mans concerns, until then its just another animal living in the countryside and has as much right to exist in the numbers that nature dictates as any other animal.

Gotta see your point.....

Sitting in the drivers seat....nice and warm.... shooting rabbits( rabbits for me)....at 50/60+ yards.....

Waste of sport imo.....

Good for hard to lamp/ferret areas.....

And nothing can be done about it.... its their sport....

But still leaves a sour taste on my mouth....

Point taken Paulus,but let's not forget here that foxes have no natural predators, and as such will always be around in large numbers, but I certainly agree with you on the hunting ban, definitely done more harm than good, but the "sport" of foxing with a rifle or shotgun is nothing new and has been around for years,as I have said elsewhere, listen to Pat Carey aka the warrener talk about the good old days, IE back in the 60s and 70s when fox pelts fetched good money, and as he puts it everyone was at the "game" if people are going to slag another mans sport (and I use the term loosely) because he appears to be doing rather well at it, shooting a few foxes that you could have dug to with your terrier, then my advice is shut the f--k up and get some more land where nobody is shooting them, rather than moaning on here in the shooting section.

CC i have 180,000 acres of permission iam certainly not short of land the problem lyes with the shooter with there night vision and a few lampers coming on the land without any permission driving through hedges and locked gates causing chaos no respect for fck all then the good guys wonder why permission is so hard to get

• Like 1

CC i have 180,000 acres of permission iam certainly not short of land the problem lyes with the shooter with there night vision and a few lampers coming on the land without any permission driving through hedges and locked gates causing chaos no respect for fck all then the good guys wonder why permission is so hard to get

Well the shooters with their night vision, are there with permission from the landowner as well as you are they not? and show me somewhere that does not have a problem with "a few lampers" tell me are these guys you mention without permission, doing the gate crashing and hedge smashing, are they shooters? Or are they lads with running dogs? Possibly killing the foxes, Hares, Deer? I suspect the latter(no offence to genuine lurcher lads)so the problem seems to be a broad one, not just down to a chap with a rifle is it.

Ye I wondered that, or is he just talking tough from the corner of his mouth,after 8 pints of worthingtons?

Yeah! Especially when stripes knows that the area is low in fox population to begin with.

Sounds like someone may have exaggerated his hunting prowess! Hardly thread-worthy!

• Like 1

This guy in question. Is there any evidence he's shot/killed all these foxes? Pictures? Video? Eye witness?

Ye I wondered that, or is he just talking tough from the corner of his mouth,after 8 pints of worthingtons?

It is a well known fact that more foxes and deer are killed in the pub !!!

• Like 1