Just heard in the last few days a so called hunting man has shot 30 foxes in 10 days with a high powered rifle in the surrounding area of two neighbour villages,, about 10 miles total area,, He was bragging that he stood outside earths and shot vixen and three young foxes,, what a great chap he is. As a terrierman myself i think that is an utter disgrace that in the month of august somebody can wipe out the entire fox population in that area in just 10 days,, I believe not one of these foxes was causing any concern for farmers , they were shot so that person could brag about numbers, unbelievable.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll never get folks If you have a problem with what the blokes doing go tell him aint no point pissing and whinging about it on here

Here we go again playing right into the antis hands, slagging another field sport off, well done, they are bloody foxes for gods sake not corncrakes

the population of foxes in that area malt was already poor, no man can tell me those foxes were shot for the purpose of pest control, i believe in showing my quarry respect and fair play,,, that was j

That's only 3 a day.. Sounds a lot but that wouldn't make a dent in an area that size with a high population density IMO..

the population of foxes in that area malt was already poor, no man can tell me those foxes were shot for the purpose of pest control, i believe in showing my quarry respect and fair play,,, that was just wiping out every fox they saw.

• Like 2

i shot 2 tonight on the shoot but i will say some of the rifle boys do go overboard when theres no need if there not causeing any great problem let them be , pest control on the shoot or a chicken farm well thats a differnt matter , i much preffer to work the terriers and dig them any muppet can shoot them now the crops are down but shooting for shooting sake is not for me live and let live give them some respect be a sportsman not a gun wheeldin nutter

• Like 2

That's only 3 a day.. Sounds a lot but that wouldn't make a dent in an area that size with a high population density IMO..

the population of foxes in that area malt was already poor, no man can tell me those foxes were shot for the purpose of pest control, i believe in showing my quarry respect and fair play,,, that was just wiping out every fox they saw.

In my experience mate, the type of person who feels the need to brag to anyone who'll listen about how many foxes they've shot usually needs taking with a pinch of salt.. :yes: You could probably half that number and still be too high with it, especially in an area you say isn't particularly thick with them! :laugh::thumbs:

i shot 2 tonight on the shoot but i will say some of the rifle boys do go overboard when theres no need if there not causeing any great problem let them be , pest control on the shoot or a chicken farm well thats a differnt matter , i much preffer to work the terriers and dig them any muppet can shoot them now the crops are down but shooting for shooting sake is not for me live and let live give them some respect be a sportsman not a gun wheeldin nutter

Correct topper, there is no shoots in this area or chicken farms, this was just shooting foxes because they saw them on the lamp and were watching cub earths.

In my experience mate, the type of person who feels the need to brag to anyone who'll listen about how many foxes they've shot usually needs taking with a pinch of salt.. :yes: You could probably half that number and still be too high with it, especially in an area you say isn't particularly thick with them! :laugh::thumbs:

Well i hope youre right malt, it was a struggle last season to get a fox in this area, with this years young there was a bit of hope for future numbers, not now!

let me get this right, you are complaining about a bloke killing fox`s with a rifle because it will mean there will not be any for you to dig with your terriers. you also state these fox`s had not caused any trouble and theres no shoots local, my question would be, why would either method be used for no other reason than to kill fox`s??

let me get this right, you are complaining about a bloke killing fox`s with a rifle because it will mean there will not be any for you to dig with your terriers. you also state these fox`s had not caused any trouble and theres no shoots local, my question would be, why would either method be used for no other reason than to kill fox`s??

I am not up with the law on terrier work in Ireland , but when i was younger and there were less restrictions on what we did with terriers , i would not kill every fox i dug or bolted , i wanted to test my terriers , and would release the vast majority , so long as they were healthy . You cant expect to find foxes if you kill every one you come across !

I am not up with the law on terrier work in Ireland , but when i was younger and there were less restrictions on what we did with terriers , i would not kill every fox i dug or bolted , i wanted to test my terriers , and would release the vast majority , so long as they were healthy . You cant expect to find foxes if you kill every one you come across !

don`t you get what i am saying, sport is no longer an acceptable reason for either shooting or digging, justification is only possible with a firm reason, theres no way any argument for either terrier work or shooting could be won on the grounds of sport in the current political climate, I fully understand the testing of dogs without the will to always want to kill but it is impossible to justify to 99% of the public.