Silly Question

if the land is enclosed it is a different matter as anybody can keep deer as domestic animals so i'm led to believe. i'm sure any deer park would sell you some stock, if this is the case

I think if I go by memory whilst you can keep them as farming purposes that is a good way of claiming a tax break, you cant put enclosed land up for shooting commercially

if the land is enclosed it is a different matter as anybody can keep deer as domestic animals so i'm led to believe. i'm sure any deer park would sell you some stock, if this is the case

I think if I go by memory whilst you can keep them as farming purposes that is a good way of claiming a tax break, you cant put enclosed land up for shooting commercially

there are certain estates where the deer are farmed but also people pay to shoot specimen deer, perhaps there is some regulation as to what constitutes "enclosed land" in terms of acreage or some other criteria? but certainly i suspect there are different regulations in regard to wild deer and captive deer and how they are to be harvested etc

Not illegal for Red and Fallow, probably Roe aswell.

Red and Fallow can be bought from deer parks. Not an easy job, need transport etc and a fair wedge of cash to pay for them even if only charged dead weight. Best to buy hinds/does just after the rut with one or two young males . Also need a fair bit of luck that they do not just bugger off after liberation but I know of one case when fallow were successfully released and held in the area, but they were penned up for a good while before the the door was left open and had become semi tame by that time.

I have an idea! buy a load of deer and tie a yellow ribbon around the head of them all and let them go. if anyone on here sees a deer with a yellow ribbon around its head we wont shoot it.

Hows that?? :thumbs:

I think that's a fair deal :)

I'm going to just try and encourage some to the land I think (probably failing in the meantime)

You could always hang over the wall with a bag of walkers crisps and a few mars bars and lead them through the gate like sheep or a horse then get someone hidden in the ditch to quickly close the gate behind them when you had enticed them in the field. :D

Good luck with it anyhow.

Stu

P.S Snickers work a treat if mars bars wont entice them :whistling:

Edited by Caprelous

If you are prepare to be realistic, enjoy the life style...........European red can be bought as well as fallow for a reasonable cost as calfes. , You need to secure the perimeter & do a little more home work..

There are compnaiees out there that will pay for you fencing & encourage you to farm them for the food chain. Is it sport ?? Is it worth while ?? Do you want to be a deer farmer ??

30 acre will hold 135, comfortable (125/ 10) if you stock good quality food / hay also for winter. Staggs & Buck also have big premium sale rates to stalking estates.

Could you not contact some of the rescue societies? RSPCA etc. and tell them you've got land for them to release deer onto?

They must always be taking in injured/young deer and need a safe place to release them after rehabilitation.... :whistling:

I think that idea may just go down like a lead fart.

RSPCA bringing deer onto a piece of ground after being nursed back to health just so you can shoot them at a later date.

Somehow I think there might just be a No in the reply from them :blink::D