The New IBF Middleweight Champions. Toughed out a very hard fought win, got floored with damaging body shot in the 5th (I thought he was finished) but got up to work is way to a close, but convincing points decision. Well done to the man, he's a top bloke too.

What next for him? Look to unify or concentrate on his domestic rivals I.e Martin Murray. .

• Like 1

Well chuffed for him, like you say he seems like a genuinely good guy.

He fight great I thought, Geale might have not been a killer but he was a tough champ who has beaten some decent fighters.

Can't see him unifying, he won't get Martinez after losing last time and he should go nowhere near Golovkin, for obvious reasons. Peter Quillin would be a decent fight though.

Love to see him in with Murray, an all British genuine world title fight in this country would be amazing, I think their styles would blend really well too.

Did you see the Clev fight mate? If so what did you think?

• Like 1

Mmm quite agree, for me it's a rematch with with Geale or as you say a genuine domestic clash with Murray for a legitimate version of world honours, would be a great fight between two no nonsense operators. I'm a big fan of Murray too.

Yeah, seen the Cleverly fight, not sure what to make of it! I'm not sure whether he was beaten by the better man or whether he just got his tactics wrong, one things for sure, he got clipped by a big punching Russian who finished the fight relentlessly.

Difficult to tell just how good Kovalev is, like all knockout artists I guess, not until they're up against a man who can take they're power will you know whether they are the genuine real deal, he certainly looks the part though!

What were your thoughts?

The New IBF Middleweight Champions. Toughed out a very hard fought win, got floored with damaging body shot in the 5th (I thought he was finished) but got up to work is way to a close, but convincing points decision. Well done to the man, he's a top bloke too.

What next for him? Look to unify or concentrate on his domestic rivals I.e Martin Murray. .

Quality win for him I thought Geale would beat him , but glad to be wrong.Maybe a return with Martinez?

Mmm quite agree, for me it's a rematch with with Geale or as you say a genuine domestic clash with Murray for a legitimate version of world honours, would be a great fight between two no nonsense operators. I'm a big fan of Murray too.

Yeah, seen the Cleverly fight, not sure what to make of it! I'm not sure whether he was beaten by the better man or whether he just got his tactics wrong, one things for sure, he got clipped by a big punching Russian who finished the fight relentlessly.

Difficult to tell just how good Kovalev is, like all knockout artists I guess, not until they're up against a man who can take they're power will you know whether they are the genuine real deal, he certainly looks the part though!

What were your thoughts?

My thoughts are on the other thread about that fight, but briefly, i think Cleverly was out of his depth the moment this fight was signed, and he knew it himself within 30 secs of the first bell on Saturday night.

A lot of hardcore boxing fans, particulalrly in the US, were high on Kovalev prior to this fight, he's been destroying fighters for the last couple of years and every one of them has said afterwards that he's a murderous puncher.

Let's be honest, Clev was a cassic Frank Warren paper champ, his title reign has been poor and he's shown glaring flaws have have been hidden by the quality of opposition he's faced.

I've just read the post fight interview in Boxing News with him which is great, he comes across really well and has handled his defeat with class and dignity - basically saying that Kovalev is a much superior fighter and as soon as he got hit, just on the shoulder, he knew that he was in with a massive puncher and if he got hit clean he'd be out.

Which does beg the question, why did he stand there calling him?? Bravery, daft tactics, inexperience probably all contributed, but i doubt any game plan would have got him out of that ring with his title, i noticed seeing some of Kovalev's previous fights that his timing and judging of distance looked superb, and Clev says the same thing in that interview, he was never out of position and just couldn't avoid his shots.

I had a bet on a boxing prediction league of a stoppage win between round 7-9, didn't think he'd handle Clev quite so easily, the guy looks a monster at that weight.

Anyway, back to Barker, i think Geale deserves a rematch, will probably get in in the UK, but would love a fight with Murray, i feel sorry for him, puts in that awesome performance against Martinez and has nothing lined up, deserves better from Hatton

What were your thoughts?

My thoughts are on the other thread about that fight, but briefly, i think Cleverly was out of his depth the moment this fight was signed, and he knew it himself within 30 secs of the first bell on Saturday night.

A lot of hardcore boxing fans, particulalrly in the US, were high on Kovalev prior to this fight, he's been destroying fighters for the last couple of years and every one of them has said afterwards that he's a murderous puncher.

Let's be honest, Clev was a cassic Frank Warren paper champ, his title reign has been poor and he's shown glaring flaws have have been hidden by the quality of opposition he's faced.

I've just read the post fight interview in Boxing News with him which is great, he comes across really well and has handled his defeat with class and dignity - basically saying that Kovalev is a much superior fighter and as soon as he got hit, just on the shoulder, he knew that he was in with a massive puncher and if he got hit clean he'd be out.

Which does beg the question, why did he stand there calling him?? Bravery, daft tactics, inexperience probably all contributed, but i doubt any game plan would have got him out of that ring with his title, i noticed seeing some of Kovalev's previous fights that his timing and judging of distance looked superb, and Clev says the same thing in that interview, he was never out of position and just couldn't avoid his shots.

I had a bet on a boxing prediction league of a stoppage win between round 7-9, didn't think he'd handle Clev quite so easily, the guy looks a monster at that weight.

Anyway, back to Barker, i think Geale deserves a rematch, will probably get in in the UK, but would love a fight with Murray, i feel sorry for him, puts in that awesome performance against Martinez and has nothing lined up, deserves better from Hatton

I havent read fhe other thread, but very well judged indeed. . I've since had a closer look at Kovalev, dangerous guy! Can't see him being troubled at Light Heavy for a while. . Brave of Cleverly to take the fight, plain stupid waving him in whilst on the rocks!

Yes, another one of Warren's 'WBO' Champions, I thought Cleverly might've had a bit more about him, but looking at his record and seeing his best win was against Bellew? who i dont really rate and would certainly get a hiding from the Russian, I shouldn't really have been surprised. . still if Kovalev tears through the rest of the devision like he potentially could,, the defeat might not look so bad. . And yes Cleverly handled the defeat with dignity, so fair play. .

So Barker defending against Sturm and then Murray I reckon? Yes, Martin certainly deserves a better promoter, no disrespect to Hatton, but he's not good enough, Murray deserves better. . The middleweight devision is blooming, I'm looking forward to Saunders v Ryder.

What's your connection to the sport Sat? You're a knowledgable guy. . I used to be on the button, but lost I bit of interest in recent years. .