Fitness And Conditioning (Skycat) Running Dog Maintenance

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

CONDITIONING AND EXERCISE There is to my mind nothing more beautiful to behold than a superbly fit running dog, an animal up on its toes, bursting with life and ready to run like the wind, taking all

Absolutely fantastic stuff...really enjoyed it.

I rate this book aswell lots of good info in it, interesting aswell that n "even tho its better to have the actual book to benefit from all the info" that the author always tries to help folk out on h

Posted Images

Brilliant read I'm defo getting these books.i was wondering how old to start mine on the lamp but now I know it depends on the dog mine is 13 weeks old and iv been told to walk him 5 min for every month of age he is ( true or false) I don't lent him run mad or go running with him just let him walk at his own pace iv got him retreving now as well

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

thank you for this Skycat, very interesting read, what is also important is diet in a running dog, i have a 2 year old 5/8 3/8 Bull X and a year old Saluki Greyhound i walk them 3 times a day whilst working 9-6! i have seen boys run they're dogs whilst riding up farm tracks on a quad, surely that's an accident waiting to happen? i'm using Gain 28 greyhound food at the moment and now and again i buy tripe or chicken mince, can anyone recommend other foods that may be better?

I am new to owning a lurcher only getting one five weeks ago from a rescue centre. I am keen to get him working fit though to be honest I cant see him actually working.

I joined the site to try to find out how to condition a dog and its great that I have stumbled onto this article.

I will be getting this book and also checking the site for other tips. I reckon that those actually using dogs for their intended purpose are the best to ask.

I hope other members who work their dogs dont mind a non-hunting new comer on the site.

The above extract from the book RUNNING DOG MAINTENANCE whetteed my appetite for the book. That and the recommendations from other users meant I couldnt resist buying. There is currently 10 percent off orders if you buy direct from SKYCAT Publications so even more reason to buy .... which is the excuse I will give the wife when the book arrives in the post !

• 2 weeks later...

Found this really interesting, being a complete newbie to all this, the article so informative and makes sense, the likes of warming up before exercise, something I would've easily overlooked/thought about...

I think I'm going to have to invest in this book...

Skycat I'm not one for normally posting, however I have read your book dozens of times and cannot fault it and i congratulate you on your work. A very intresting read which will benefit everyone who has a working lurcher and of course the dogs themselves. Your knowledge is a credit to the game and shows within the books content. It really is addictive and packed with a revealing tradecraft. As a lurcher owner for just on 40 years and still working them regulary,the conditioning of my own dogs really has been an important factor in the success of my fieldcraft. For the newcommers who have posted, this book will, I can assure you simlify practically everything you will ever need to know!If the answers not there speak to your vet! Well done Skycat

• Like 1