Absolute Minimum !!!!!!!!!!

Right guys and girls,

This is one of my many questions ive spammed the forums for help,

As you are all aware if youve been on my postings this season will be my first season to get on with what i joined this forum to try and do Ferreting,

I have the land permission at one sizeable area and one medium area, plenty of warrens etc And some undiscovered ones as theres an old railway line and apparently from a preious post there usually goldmines for the bunnies!

What is absolute minimum gear set up you would need to be a successful ferreter ,

What i have now

Bed x whip 12 month

What I need

Everthing lol :hmm:

SO to sum up , what gear will i need?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

absolute minimum.... ferret, pocket to put it in and a dog. i'm sure a lot of us got started with just that.

Right here we go MINIUM GEAR. Marking Dug, Ferrets, Carrying Box, Purse Nets, Poke nets, Stop nets, Net Basket, Purse net bag, Rabbit Carrier, Locator,& collar, Spare batteries, Knife

Patience as it can be a testing when its very slow

I would say 2-3 ferrets

30 purse nets

Ferret box

That's the essentials in my eyes

A ferret finder ain't essential to use if you willing to wait for your ferret after a kill in

Otherwise if you ain't I would pick one up off here for cheap

And then a good shovel and your sorted mate

You've got the dog to catch the ones that you can't net all this stuff about carrying 100 nets and 100 yard long nets I'd rather see a dog run and miss a few than empty a place

I've got a 60 nets which I carry 40 a 25 yard long a stop net which i havnt use any off yet a triple box and a bag for my nets and finders which I got most of that of here for less than 200 pound so it's not expensive if you wait for some good deals mate

Atb l4l

• Like 2

Cheers for the response everyone,

Thinking an ex army fold out shovel ?????

Ive got two weeks from end of aug to get all this gear together including ferrets lol this should be interesting!

NEVER in a million years, i'm sure in the past we have all bought one thinking they will be useful. And every single one of us will have realised after the first spit they are as suitable as tits on a boar...............

Cheers for the response everyone,

Thinking an ex army fold out shovel ?????

Ive got two weeks from end of aug to get all this gear together including ferrets lol this should be interesting!

People slate my folding army shovel. It gets called the Teaspoon by Derbylad off here. I stand by it. Its perfect if you're ferreting on your own or if space is a concern. It digs as well as any in my opinion, and it cost me 2 quid on a car boot. Bargain.

Atb, BB

• Like 1

Pair of wire cutters next to the secateurs can always be helpful when purse netting. I would never advise cutting wire on a fence (quick way to piss off your permission owner, but if there is a barbed fence in a bush thats rotting aware etc, and the wire is over a hole or gunna prevent pursing, I would cut it provided it isn't going to affect livestock in a field or annoy the owner etc. This is an opinion and gear based one though as some would just leave it and if one comes out hope the dog gets it.

Atb, BB

• Like 1

Seems ive stumbled upon an old classic debate here the "shovel Debate " Was thinking large spot of land need to carry minimum gear with me so fold up seemed sensible BUT if it doesnt do the job whats the point, Might be a bit of trial and error situation.

some dogs are natural markers and most mark very diffrent but youll soon see how valuable they are when you put your 30 nets down or run yor quickset round and nowt in lol only advice is as said go often as poss but limit how many rabbs u take he wii soon be markin when hes run afew in i suppose with land being new to you you dont no how deep most sets are so lett me know how you handle your first 6 foot dig with folding army shouvel buy a proper rabbin spade from bulldog with Y handle 30 quid

• Like 1