Is Anyone Running Cats With Their Dogs?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you put hydrogen peroxide in a syringe and squirt it into the tooth holes three times a day for three days, that won't happen.

the most important thing to remember in regard of preventing infection is to get the wound as clean as posible as quickly as possible. clean water is as good as anything else, just flush as much as yo

I've had feral cat with a lurcher wicked enough animal and as much a pest as a fox if not more so

Research shows that Hydrogen peroxide if over used does/can cause minor tissue damage and slow down healing, that is easy remedied though by not over using :no: I have never needed to use it more than twice on wounds anyway :)

• Like 1

Research shows that Hydrogen peroxide if over used does/can cause minor tissue damage and slow down healing, that is easy remedied though by not over using :no: I have never needed to use it more than twice on wounds anyway :)

That's all I was trying to say. Just don't overuse it and its fine. Like I said I don't use it. I just squirt 7% iodine on whatever is the matter and call it a day. My dogs never get infections and I never use antibiotics either.

• Like 1

That's all I was trying to say. Just don't overuse it and its fine. Like I said I don't use it. I just squirt 7% iodine on whatever is the matter and call it a day. My dogs never get infections and I never use antibiotics either.

3-4 days of penicllin tabs, with warm salt water will clean up wounds, very good for fox+cat bites, prob the same with yote bites.!

I use this spray below, its known as purple spray here, has iodine in it.. works well, as long as you spray it straight away, its handy to carry some around for situations like that. :thumbs:

http://www.vetproductsonline.co.za/products/cattle/antibiotics/11814-ALAMYCIN-SPRAY

• Like 1

Doesn't anyone use antibiotic cream that comes in a syringe with a plastic nozzle? Generally made for cows with mastitis. You can get it right into puncture wounds, and slather it on scratches. Treats the infection at source. I've used it for years on both scratches and punctures, and it is cheaper than a course of antibiotics, doesn't slow healing either. Get it from a hoss and cow vet.

That sounds like bag balm Penney. Which is good for chaffing too by the way.

ATB

No big deal Mickey, your still my closest lurcher friend! I'm going to try out the salt wash. I've got salt on my radar for curing all sorts of things but I have not taken the time to do the research yet. That's the only thing holding me back on that one. Thanks for the tip.

I share what little I know. :thumbs:

ATB

Doesn't anyone use antibiotic cream that comes in a syringe with a plastic nozzle? Generally made for cows with mastitis. You can get it right into puncture wounds, and slather it on scratches. Treats the infection at source. I've used it for years on both scratches and punctures, and it is cheaper than a course of antibiotics, doesn't slow healing either. Get it from a hoss and cow vet.

ATB

The stuff skycat talks of I think is called dry cow, I have not used it but heard good things about it :yes:

Getting back to cat bites. I could see where a dog that always picks up rabbits could get scratched or bit by a cat. If he uses the same gentle grip, it would only take a second. Just like if he's used to tackling coyotes, or raccoons for that matter. He'd have the cat done before it could take hold. It's all what they are exposed to.

ATB

ATB

The stuff skycat talks of I think is called dry cow, I have not used it but heard good things about it :yes:

Thanks C Hall!

ATB

Getting back to cat bites. I could see where a dog that always picks up rabbits could get scratched or bit by a cat. If he uses the same gentle grip, it would only take a second. Just like if he's used to tackling coyotes, or raccoons for that matter. He'd have the cat done before it could take hold. It's all what they are exposed to.

ATB

maybe, but know lads who dogs kill foxes, and will pick up rabbits and rabbits are still alive, and not much damage.Maybe grabbing a cat more so if its a big fecker, might need to be done differnt with claws+teeth going all over the place. Ihad a bullx grey would kill cats, but bloody hell they left a calling card all over him, more than any fox ever did . :yes::yes:

It goes under different names depending on the manufacturer, but is just an antibiotic cream in a syringe: not had to give my dogs a course of antibiotic tabs nor jab them since using it for bites/scratches etc.

• Like 1

That's all I was trying to say. Just don't overuse it and its fine. Like I said I don't use it. I just squirt 7% iodine on whatever is the matter and call it a day. My dogs never get infections and I never use antibiotics either.I used to be the worst for jabbing dogs and givng them courses of synulux every time they got a few bites until someone a lot more knowledgable showed me the error of my ways.

3-4 days of penicllin tabs, with warm salt water will clean up wounds, very good for fox+cat bites, prob the same with yote bites.!

If wounds are cleaned thoroughly Ray there is no need for any sort of antibiotics.They are only needed to get rid of an infection so if you do a good enough job of cleang wounds there is no need for infection in the first place.

Edited by downsouth
  • Like 1

That's all I was trying to say. Just don't overuse it and its fine. Like I said I don't use it. I just squirt 7% iodine on whatever is the matter and call it a day. My dogs never get infections and I never use antibiotics either.I used to be the worst for jabbing dogs and givng them courses of synulux every time they got a few bites until someone a lot more knowledgable showed me the error of my ways.

If wounds are cleaned thoroughly Ray there is no need for any sort of antibiotics.They are only needed to get rid of an infection so if you do a good enough job of cleang wounds there is no need for infection in the first place.

yeh, fair point that :thumbs: