One For The Pot

Manco

I heard the guinea fowls long before I saw them and walked slowly in the direction of their noise keeping the sun between me and them and keeping close to the tree line. I got as close as I could without breaking cover and checked the distance with my laser rangefinder: 70 yards to the nearest of a small group of three.

I was shooting with my Career 707 Carbine chambered with 16gn Defiants at an MV of 930fps. I have owned this gun for thirteen years and I can’t see myself selling it. It’s simple to work on, built like a tank, with good accuracy and power in spades. I was zeroed at 50 yards and had been shooting at targets at 60 and 70 yards to check the holdover earlier in the afternoon.

I glassed them for a short while and decided on a three-quarter grown fowl which should prove nice to eat. Another check with the rangefinder: 72 yards. The opportunity to take a heart / lungs shot arose and I took it. It was a solid strike and the fowl slumped and looked to be motionless.

At that moment the farmer’s Irish terrier arrived on the scene, spooking all the other birds which immediately took flight in a series of thunderclaps. I wasn’t too bothered about that – tomorrows dinner was lying on the ground anyway.

I walked up to the bird and prodded it with my sticks; it was still alive although mortally wounded so I despatched it with a pellet to the brain.

I prepared the bird for the pot this morning having selected an appealing recipe from Delia Online.

Shoot lekker, shoot safe.

Chris

post-56337-0-87772400-1376218162_thumb.jpg

Edited by Manco
  • Like 2