When Do You Start Ferreting ?

i normally have a day or two out in september but i feel my proper season starts mid october, how about you lot? i speak to other ferreters about when the ferreting season is and they always say any month with an R IN IT ? do you agree ? i normally stop by march !

normally start end of September and finish march time, sometimes February because we've found in the past depending on weather climate the rabbits have been pregnant in march. I know we do it to control the rabbits but I don't see the point in killing say 5/6 rabbits for the sake of one. We will just take um the next time round.

Edited by dunkers87

Start the now in the horse paddocks or any other field we can access the burrows and just move on to the other permissions as we can . if you wait on a R in the month or the cover dying down your no going to be ferreting much

• Like 2

The r in the month was what the old hands used to go by. Problem is if you have a mild winter or even a couple of weeks of warmer weather you'll find um pregnant . Weather seems to be changing over the years and iv found young in them early in the new year. Seems the seasons getting shorter :-(

Edited by dannyboy P

September to Feb-March for me. As the other posts say though the climate is changing and affecting the wildlife in this country more than ever before now. With the wet winters a lot of the warrens are flooded right through until late spring so I don't ever get a chance to ferret them now as either the rabbits have moved off or the risk of my ferrets drowning is just to high but when I find a warren off of the peaty ground there are often babies or pregnant does well in to or well before the season ends.

I suppose we just have to approach each season differently now.

i normally start mid september ,my first few trips are only for 2 or 3 hours and i only do easy ferreting ,i find it its a good for building up the ferrets fitness and sharpening them up , i find the covers still a bit high and thiers lots of nettles , but im eagre to get out and cant wait for the season to start,when the covers down im out ferreting from 7am until teatime whenever i can ...........i cant wait for the season to start.......jim

When the fields have been cut/end of August time I start of with a few easy sessions couple of hours here and there then do more when cover dies back abit. Start snaring a few rabbits back end of August as well as a few hares not long now?