Making First Longnet

fatjack

Hi all dont know if this has been asked before but I started making nets while ago and seem to be getting on ok but was thinkin about makin a short longnet for hedges etc.. but stuck for how many meshes deep to make it ie tall thanks jack

Any thing from thirteen to fifteen ive never put a selvedge mesh on a net and dont think i will in the near future

It's your choice, but you are missing out by not adding a selvedge, not from the wear angle ( I have nets that are over 20 years old here and no sign of wear at all) but from the net sitting right on the lines. By adding a selvedge you get a more uniform spread of meshes.

Because of the way the hand made nets are made the knots run horizontally when made into a long net, when you just add a running line to the edge of the net, the net still retains the memory of the way the knots lie so it naturally stretches out along the lines. By adding a selvedge you are changing the way the net lies on the lines. When you add a selvedge half mesh you are basically picking each mesh up in the centre of the mesh, which in turn causes the net to close a little giving you a more even spread to the meshes.

Even if you were using the same twine as the body of the net it is still worth doing, a heavier twine makes the closing action more pronounced as it makes it harder for the knots to push against it. Also the very action of knitting a selvedge on the net again helps as it stretches the knots in the opposite direction to the way they would naturally lay.

TC

Edited by tiercel
  • Like 3

Adding a selvedge for me was the high light of making the net. The end was in sight and the selvedge does not take long. For me there was no point in putting all that effort in then cutting a corner at the end. I did notice it made the net sit tidier as well but didn't give any thought as to why but now I know :)

Ok cheers mite add it then thanks:)

It never ceases to amaze me when people ask for advice, are given the correct advice, then say they might do it.

Makes you wonder if it is worth taking the time to explain sometimes?

TC