Fitter Type English Bull Terrier

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That Tinker belonged to an old school pal of mine from the mid 60's, and we still hunt together albeit at a slower pace. Tinker and Handy ( Red Hand of Ulster to give him his full name) were both bred

One for those interested in Wheatens... from the 1970s.... I had to crop it as the man in photo might not like it,,,    

No there was a wee dog from Limerick called "The Gallant Hendrix", Handy and Tinker, which were the only dogs of this breed I remember seeing certifying, which may be a contributing factor as to why t

Posted Images

check this out lol not mine

Pretty pointless if the dogs back legs arent on the ground...also a good chance of injury letting the dog swing around like that...Springpole can be a handy conditioning tool...i used to have one set up so the dogs front feet where almost on the ground

not pointless at all, just works jaws more , but yeah proper way is back feet or all four touch to target different muscle.

• 1 month later...

Recreate Big E? They were originally created as a show dog by James Hinks....from a mix of the original bull terrier and Dalmatian among others, with the intent of producing a show dog version of what his idea of a bull terrier was that would sell, imho. Try to imagine someone crossing an apbt with any other breed today and making it a better dog for the job.....or crossing a racing greyhound with another breed to produce a faster dog for that job....it ain't gonna happen.

how did the americans create the apbt to better the staff if the staffs were excellent dogs to start with for that type of work?

The Staff came after the Apbt, the Apbt is basically the same breed that was shipped over the pond when the Irish and English settled there...

The history books tell us (God knows I've read enough of them) that the dogs of the English west country ended the Blue Pauls of Scotland.

The dog that became the staff was there before the APBT, only it wasn't called the staff. It had localised names or was just called a pit dog.

The dogs that went over to the states mostly came from these islands but the Irish dogs were most probably brought to Ireland by British troops when they occupied Ireland.

BUT, then the Irish kicked the British ass's back to Old Blighty but kept the bloodlines. Sounds far fetched but it's true.

Then, the Irish lines became localised or family orientated and when sent to the yanks got their reputations such as the Old Family Reds etc. etc.

The Irish probably did more emigrating than our neighbours and landing on the American east coast (a dog fighting and cock fighting stronghold) holding an Irish gamecock or fighting dog was often a visa for a poor man to maybe get a job or somewhere to stay because the American dogfighters and cockfighters were often local business men. The promise of more livestock coming over from the Emerald Isle could get a man and his family a foot in the door ,so to speak.

It's not about being involved in these sports, of which I'm not, but it's about having a big interest in where our dogs came from and learning a very interesting aspect of history that involves our ancestors and our dogs.

Funny enough, talking to folk over the years about the old sports / bloodlines etc. not everything I've heard or know comes out of books.

It fascinates me.

• Like 5

The history books tell us (God knows I've read enough of them) that the dogs of the English west country ended the Blue Pauls of Scotland.

The dog that became the staff was there before the APBT, only it wasn't called the staff. It had localised names or was just called a pit dog.

The dogs that went over to the states mostly came from these islands but the Irish dogs were most probably brought to Ireland by British troops when they occupied Ireland.

BUT, then the Irish kicked the British ass's back to Old Blighty but kept the bloodlines. Sounds far fetched but it's true.

Then, the Irish lines became localised or family orientated and when sent to the yanks got their reputations such as the Old Family Reds etc. etc.

The Irish probably did more emigrating than our neighbours and landing on the American east coast (a dog fighting and cock fighting stronghold) holding an Irish gamecock or fighting dog was often a visa for a poor man to maybe get a job or somewhere to stay because the American dogfighters and cockfighters were often local business men. The promise of more livestock coming over from the Emerald Isle could get a man and his family a foot in the door ,so to speak.

It's not about being involved in these sports, of which I'm not, but it's about having a big interest in where our dogs came from and learning a very interesting aspect of history that involves our ancestors and our dogs.

Funny enough, talking to folk over the years about the old sports / bloodlines etc. not everything I've heard or know comes out of books.

It fascinates me.

A man hears what he wants to hear...and disregards the rest...or so the song goes...im no History expert but in regards to the pioneers of the APBT who made an impact on the breed...J.P Colby springs to mind...he emigrated to America from Wales taking dogs with him...yes he imported dogs from Ireland...but also from England too...then theres Earl Tudor...whos favored line of dogs where the Henry dogs...an English Bloodline...and of course theres Cockney Charlie Lloyd...with his famous foundation dog Pilot...a dog whelped in a pub in Walsall...i think yours is a bit of a romantic view...and one that over states Irelands involvment in the development of the breed...just my opinion

Edited by AKA-BRINDLE
  • Like 1

It fascinates me.

so did the blue Paul become defunct because a better animal came along or were they amalgamated with others to create a better newer breed of pit dog? Interesting stuff Neil. History always gets my attention

While i have read about the history of dogs i find far too many get caught up with the history. How many litters are sold with the selling point being psycho is in the pedigree lol even so many generations back.

It fascinates me.

Yes but where did the Irish dogs come from.... England of course..

• Like 1