Cartridge Choice For Geese.

Shoot noble sport 56g 2's and 3's for years at geese. 3 years ago we started to shoot b&p 36g 5's and 6's and we've been having twice the kills at every bit as long of range and further and thats nearly all canadas and greys. You'll certainly have no bother shooting greys and pinks with 36g loads! Put them through a good tight choke and put it up the front of them. Anything behind the neck is a waste of a cartridge! If you have to use steel lighter is better. See if you can find anyone that homeloads if you don't yourself. 30grams of steel doing 1650fps is alot more effective then 36grams doing 1300!!

Where in Scotland are you going ?...if your in the fields 36g 3 or 4 buffallos is plenty and a 32 g 5 for ducks will do the job ....agree with remi tighten your choke if need be

Edited by MIK

plenty to eat in my experience it only gives you a bit more range with heavy loads and if you put it through a pattern master it seems to be a very uniformed pattern and after all i aim for the head and neck area so very few pellets end up in the body does the trick for me anyway but i do you 32g 4 steel for the ducks and im sure some will use them geese but it is a big bird atb b :thumbs:

Thats the american way. They call it magnum mania! The only problem with heavy loads of steel is the heavier the load the slower it goes. Thats ok if your shooting 1000s of the same round week in week out but if your going in cold turkey working out lead to ensure clean head and neck shots wont be easy especially not at range. 63gms of steel must be an amazing amount of pellets though. Similar pellet count to about 140 150 gms of lead!

Hi all,

I'm going goose shooting for 3 days in oct to Scotland.

I've got a semi auto with a 3.5" chamber.

What's the best carts to use?

I'm also shooting Duck aswell.

same thing every year ,.............................................just buy some clay loads and take on shots at 200 yards and you will fit right in