Unusual Bushing Dog

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just thought i put this pic up of one of the most unusual cross's i,v had the pleasure to have worked with, and i mean pleasure, this little bitch did everything i asked of her and more, worked to h

Long gone old collie bitch.....amazing hunter....would bush all day  

Cracking little dog,we were out round Evesham one year,a fox was put out of a small wood too far for a slip,I watched it run down a cover/edge and then lost sight of it,so I knew it stayed in a small

Posted Images

When we were kids there was an old collie at the end of our street that we used to nick (borrow) lol to take rabbiting. This dog was called Prince and was a local legend. he would bush like a spaniel then chase and catch rabbits for fun

The woman who owned him used to go nuts but the dog loved it and if we didn't take him he would howl the place down

• Like 1
  • 5 years later...
On 06/08/2013 at 00:37, buster gonads said:

Handsome is as handsome does Darbo, he looks likes he's doing a job for you, i,v seen some purpose bread dogs that i wouldnt give kennel room, although i guess we,v both been lucky here, if i were to buy/breed a dog just for bushing i,d edge my bets and go for either cocker or beagle crossed with a terrier but i dont have that luxury, i do try and find a use for the mrs house dog though, i was asked many times what the dog i was working was by other dog men, most thought she was a beddy type, i was even asked to take her beating on a local shoot, i declined, not my scene mate, atb, buster.

I have a number of beagle x terriers ,I find you get a good tracking dog that can also catch well.i only bush with them after rabbits . 

On 05/08/2013 at 14:39, Bosun11 said:

I recently seen a dog i've heard much about over the years, a Labrador x Patterdale. Just about the meanest lookin thing i've seen on four legs in a long time. Big and solid, like a giant Wheeler type terrier but much longer in the back.

This dog has one hell of a reputation as a bushing dog and is hard as nails, pity is best years are now behind it.

Cracking little dog,we were out round Evesham one year,a fox was put out of a small wood too far for a slip,I watched it run down a cover/edge and then lost sight of it,so I knew it stayed in a small cover,I seen every other dog that was there that day follow the line of the fox an lose it beagles beagle xs spaniel xs terriers all lost it and moved on,it was the pat/lab that stayed in the cover an when we walked over he was marking a little rabbit warren,afew lads wanted to move on but I said this was the last place I seen the fox go,so terrier was dropped and a nice vixen was dug and released,that pat/lab stood out from the rest of the bushers by far ??

• Like 3

I recently seen a dog i've heard much about over the years, a Labrador x Patterdale. Just about the meanest lookin thing i've seen on four legs in a long time. Big and solid, like a giant Wheeler type terrier but much longer in the back.

This dog has one hell of a reputation as a bushing dog and is hard as nails, pity is best years are now behind it.

If it’s dog I’m thinking off isn’t it a Jaffa ? 

On 05/08/2013 at 12:44, buster gonads said:

IMGP0061_zps2a238522.jpg

I just thought i put this pic up of one of the most unusual cross's i,v had the pleasure to have worked with, and i mean pleasure, this little bitch did everything i asked of her and more, worked to hand signals, very easy to train, would work any cover, marked for the ferrets, good on the rats and even went to ground now and again [she was only small] dont get me wrong it wouldnt have been my choice for a working dog but it worked out very well, its a cocker cross poodle, unfortunatly she got killed while out working, i,d give my right arm to have her back, this is a genuine post, anyone else had good results out of a so called lap dog or an unusual breed/cross, atb, buster.

IMGP0058_zpsd7b7a4a8.jpg

I’m bringing the same on mate for the rabbit job, she’s 16 month now, she never stops, good nose and loves the cover

E01E7963-D64A-4C17-8843-E87CCA0E52ED.jpeg

92621961-E06A-4396-B65D-CCF342A9A6F8.jpeg

67D5548D-A5D0-43FA-A777-6739FA577395.jpeg

• Like 2
Just now, Aussie Whip said:

Know a bloke who's a conservationist(not an anti)uses 2 basenji's and a bully/cattle dog for bushing and killing feral cats.Goes around on horseback with them.Their very good at their job.

Be good day out to follow him around.

• Like 1

On 01/12/2018 at 10:11, mud said:

Cracking little dog,we were out round Evesham one year,a fox was put out of a small wood too far for a slip,I watched it run down a cover/edge and then lost sight of it,so I knew it stayed in a small cover,I seen every other dog that was there that day follow the line of the fox an lose it beagles beagle xs spaniel xs terriers all lost it and moved on,it was the pat/lab that stayed in the cover an when we walked over he was marking a little rabbit warren,afew lads wanted to move on but I said this was the last place I seen the fox go,so terrier was dropped and a nice vixen was dug and released,that pat/lab stood out from the rest of the bushers by far ??

Any pictures of this labxpat please gents?

Edit: Owt like this? http://www.dogsblog.com/zippy-7/

Edited by Born Hunter