Rabbiting Dogs

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

heres mine not one over 21tts thats all use them for mooching and a we bit lamping mostly ferreting

Posted Images

2 of my current mob. A blank day on rough cover. dogs didn't seem to mind. Guess thats why its called hunting, not killing

xmas2011060.jpg

nice dogs! do you know what's in the little scruff?

Cheers bud, scruff is collie (dam) x 1/4 beddy,3/4 whippet (approximatley)!

How did the collies do for you pal?

Really enjoyed working them, did every type of rabbiting with them, both loved it. The bitch was one of the most natural daytime hunting dogs I have worked and excelled at bushing and worked cover as good as any terrier I've owned....she would hunt for a scent no matter what. The male worked more like a lurcher and tended to wait outside the cover, had some good fun with him lamping, generally doubled up with my whippet, he was a good ferreting dog. Both very good rabbiting dogs, but very different styles. I don't tend to catch a lot given where I hunt, but they always gave 100% and rarely got injured.

I did lamp the bitch occasionally, but she was a sod for hunting on.

Edited by wuyang
  • Like 4

How did the collies do for you pal?

Really enjoyed working them, did every type of rabbiting with them, both loved it. The bitch was one of the most natural daytime hunting dogs I have worked and excelled at bushing and worked cover as good as any terrier I've owned....she would hunt for a scent no matter what. The male worked more like a lurcher and tended to wait outside the cover, had some good fun with him lamping, generally doubled up with my whippet, he was a good ferreting dog. Both very good rabbiting dogs, but very different styles. I don't tend to catch a lot given where I hunt, but they always gave 100% and rarely got injured.

I did lamp the bitch occasionally, but she was a sod for hunting on.

How is your young bitch coming along. :thumbs:

This thread has been a credit to all the guys who've contributed....not a cross word spoken..... :thumbs:

And hats off also to the varied and diverse range of canines showcased within these pages....they ask for little in return for what they give us....just a bit of dedication, some decent grub and a warm bed....and they richly deserve it.... :thumbs:

• Like 11

Hi darbo....thanks for asking...good timing as well as she caught her first solo rabbit this morning......20 months old, but still very puppy like in some ways. I've been giving her some quality time this summer trying to get her to develop her hunting. She's still a sensitive bitch which I've managed to work around but I'm really happy with her. She's very calculated in her style and works her nose very well. Roll on this season....can't wait. Wuyang

• Like 2

Hi darbo....thanks for asking...good timing as well as she caught her first solo rabbit this morning......20 months old, but still very puppy like in some ways. I've been giving her some quality time this summer trying to get her to develop her hunting. She's still a sensitive bitch which I've managed to work around but I'm really happy with her. She's very calculated in her style and works her nose very well. Roll on this season....can't wait. Wuyang

Nice to hear. Good luck for this season. :thumbs: