Dog And Cat Laws

Hi guys,

Just a quick one, I had an attack on my chickens in the night, mesh was disturbed and 1 killed and 1 damaged. Wasn't sure if it was a fox or cat.

Secured the pen up and pondered my course of action.

Then whilst eating my yea this evening the fowl where making a right racket, so I went down the yard to find a neighbours newly purchased cat mooching around the pen.

They where actually calling over the fence to try and get her back.

I said to them, you have 2 minutes to get rid of it or the dogs would be let out the kennels and it wouldn't take long.

Their response was we will call the police and the RSPCA if your dogs kill our cat.

So my question is, if the dogs wher loose in the garden and they got hold of the cat and killed it, where wud I stand legally?

if your dogs were out and their cat came onto your property and the your dogs killed their cat on your property then it would be an act of nature if however you deliberately released your dogs to kill the cat then i think it becomes criminal damage(as cats are classified as property in law) the RSPCA would also try and do you under animal welfare legislation

I'm sure you wouldn't purposely let your dogs out while the cat is there, but there's no law saying you have to search your own garden from top to bottom in case there are any cats hiding about the place before you let your dogs out for a piss..

Well i reckon youve blown it by threatening them. Now if anything happens too that cat your number 1 in the frame. Better off saying nothing and then if the cat disappears nobody would have known any better. Id try and keep the chickens safe....get yourself a cheap electric fence...they dont like that..... :yes:

• Like 5

An example of fish only get caught because they open their mouth....shouldn't of said nothing and when it happens next door would be none the wiser. Worst thing is to shit in your own doorstep and cause any sort of problem IMO.

• Like 1

My other half (works in animal care) had to go on a dog law seminar and if a dog attacks a human your in the pooper but cats are technically classed as knowones property and you cannot in a court of law get prosecuted for killing a cat, via dog, gun, trap or any other method. But the second you tell anyone that your dog will get set on an animal then the people can say that they where threatened by your dog and that you have told them your dog can be dangerous. Stupid laws and all that.

• Like 1

My other half (works in animal care) had to go on a dog law seminar and if a dog attacks a human your in the pooper but cats are technically classed as knowones property and you cannot in a court of law get prosecuted for killing a cat, via dog, gun, trap or any other method. But the second you tell anyone that your dog will get set on an animal then the people can say that they where threatened by your dog and that you have told them your dog can be dangerous. Stupid laws and all that.

wrong !!!

wrong !!!

correct you are :laugh: cats are treated as property in uk law :thumbs: