Dealing With "pump Lock" ... What To Do When Your Hand Pump Doesn't.

I've used a Hill Mk2 pump for the past 5 years and it had performed faultlessly - until a fortnight ago. Then, I experienced the dreaded 'pump lock' to coin a phrase. After a few up and down strokes, the pump 'locked' and it was difficult, if not impossible, to move the handle up or down. It's strange how irrational we are sometimes: because the pump was working fine the day before, my first assumption was that the issue was with the air rifle! When I checked out this theory by using the pump on another pcp I experienced 'pump lock' once again.

A quick email pinged its way to Ernest Hill company asking their 'owls' whether the symptoms I described sounded like a pump issue, received a reply almost 'by return'. According to a resident technical expert I had in fact described the classic symptoms of pump failure resulting from lack of lubrication or one or more failed seals. According to Hill's this generally happens to pumps sooner or later, usually after about 3 years' use. Their technical boffin added that most often it turns out that the 'culprit' is a small green-coloured o-ring that does the real heavy-duty work of the pump. (Aaargh, the infamous green seal!)

Now, I happen to live in rural South Africa and there are no air gunsmiths plying their trade anywhere near to me. Also, I like to be self-reliant as far as my skills, tools and time permit. So I decided to service the Hill pump myself and ordered a replacement seal kit from Hill's South African agent.

While I was waiting for the seals to arrive I stripped down my 2 pcps (A Career 707 Carbine and a Sumatra 2500 Carbine) for a long-overdue inspection of their air cylinders. I was pleased to note that there was no sign of any rust in the cylinders whatsoever. Sehr interesting I thought since I have to confess that I have been very negligent about changing the Dry Pack that I fitted as an accessory for the pump.

Long story short, the new seal kit arrived, I dismantled the pump, cleaned off all the old silicone grease with White Spirit (known for some unknown reason as Mineral Turps over here) and made sure all parts were thoroughly dry. Next I replaced the seals one-by-one having first lubricated them with a smear of silicone grease. Finally I lubricated the sliding parts of the pump sparingly with a smear of silicone grease and put everything back together. And would you believe it - it worked! Fan-friggin-tastic! The pump is now restored to its original performance.

As an aside, on dismantling the Hill Mk2 pump I couldn't fail to be impressed by its robust build quality. It remined my of my old BSA push bike which had a Sturmey Archer three-speed gear and bore the legend "Built like a Gun".

Living as I do in rural South Africa choosing a pump over a dive bottle is a no-brainer. A 300 kilometer round trip to the nearest dive centre to refill a scuba bottle would cost me approximately £30 in petrol alone. (Although an ex-pat, I'm Yorkshire born and bred) And how fitting it is that Hill pumps are manufactered in my home town of Sheffield.

Chris

(Mods, apologies for the 'double post' but I decided to create a new thread rather than add to an older one. Please delete the other post if you wish.)

Edited by Manco
  • Like 1