I have permission to use a few barns for rats and have been up a few times but not seen much but it looks a likely spot. I have a 10 month old patt and am keen to get him started. There's not many people rat up my way which makes it difficult as my wee fella doesn't get to watch other dogs to learn. Any advice? Cheers

set a cage trap up pal,and take the pup up every day when you check it. cover the trap with a piece of carpet or some other clutter. the dog will soon learn where you are going. let the dog sniff round the carpet with the trap under. the first time there is a rat in the trap the dog will let you know. let him mark the rat under the carpet. then praise him, remove and dispatch the rat. keep doing this for a few days, then take him for a look around the farm where the junk is. let him sniff about til he marks then move the junk for him. he will soon get the message pal.

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses so far folks. Its much appreciated. Iv not really done ratting before so its good to get all this info. Some great advice. I live in caithness Jamie mate. Im not aware of any rat packs here. I was speaking to a decent gamekeeper lad in Dumfries and he said the same about getting the dog out with more experienced terriers but like I said unfortunately its not a big thing up here.