Newbie Looking To Get A 12G Shotgun

After 28 years of air rifle shooting I've decided to have a go at shotguns as the 4 permissions I have want the pigeons and corvids taken care of.

The FAO has just visited and approved my gun cabinet and said I should get my licence in a few weeks so am now looking for a shotgun, however I'm not that clued up on them.

I will be doing decoying from a hide and probably a bit of rough shooting, I have a budget of around £250 so I'm not looking for a Purdy.

I'm not bothered about an O/U or side by side or even a 3 shot single barrel but I want a single trigger as I had a go of my mates O/U with a double trigger and found it awkward.

I will be visiting the gun shop to try a few on but don't want to pay their prices.

Any tips and advice welcome.

Worzel

a few weeks!! hope it comes to pass and I don't want to piss on your bonfire but my sons took an eternity, months not weeks, probably from same place if your Kent based, Maidstone?

good luck and I genuinely hope your certificate comes trough asap as it's as frustrating as hell waiting for the post every day, try ringing the issuing office and ask what kind of backlog there is, if any, so that your not left on tenterhooks.

As for a shotgun, after shooting air rifles for years I found I shot best with a semi auto, just felt right :thumbs:

Just type in "used shotguns" in Google and a ton of sites come up, Chris Potter in Tonbridge always seems to have a good selection of reasonably priced used guns as does Kent wool Growers in Ashford, both give some good advice too.

ATB bruce

Edited by brucemyster

a few weeks!! hope it comes to pass and I don't want to piss on your bonfire but my sons took an eternity, months not weeks, probably from same place if your Kent based, Maidstone?

good luck and I genuinely hope your certificate comes trough asap as it's as frustrating as hell waiting for the post every day, try ringing the issuing office and ask what kind of backlog there is, if any, so that your not left on tenterhooks.

As for a shotgun, after shooting air rifles for years I found I shot best with a semi auto, just felt right :thumbs:

Just type in "used shotguns" in Google and a ton of sites come up, Chris Potter in Tonbridge always seems to have a good selection of reasonably priced used guns as does Kent wool Growers in Ashford, both give some good advice too.

ATB bruce

I asked the FAO what was the waiting time for a licence and he said "a couple of weeks" but he also said the system has got better over the last couple of weeks so fingers crossed it wont take months.