Usa Lurcher (Stag X Collie)

I'm happy with how much they look alike. In my experience, other litters that have been this close in appearance have also had a very good success rate in the talent department. I've never yet had a close litter like this all turn out to be duds, but I suppose it could happen. Good selection of the parents likely tips the scales in favor of a good turnout. Either way, I like it when they are close in type and conformation.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

9-24-13 (7 1/2 Weeks):  

6 months old and getting started. I snapped a couple of quick photos after I took them out of the truck today.   Tommy:   Foxy:

Here they are on 9-2-13:

They look really nice for sure!…i can't help but wonder why you chose a collie though?…how do they hunt the bobcats?…you use hounds to find them first?…lambing?…or are the dogs expected to find, hunt and kill them buy themselves?…i really like collie blooded dogs, a lot,…but from what I've seen over here, there hasn't been one animal hunted where collie blood would benefit the dog?…I'm not saying collies are bad hunters, anyone thats ever been around them knows that they are!…i just don't see how a Collie x stag would of been your first choice?…I'm not having a go at all, they look lovely pups!

• Like 1

Socks- Your only the second person to pick her out. She's got the most going on in her head of the bunch at this point. I think there is some real dog genius there. They are going to switch off on who is the top dog a few times in the next year but if she was the only one I had kept, I wouldn't be sorry at this point. She comes in the house the most too.

Kye- I'm not certain what to expect. I have some ideas but I might be totally wrong. The sire is going to have great effect on these pups and he is a particularly unique dog that is far above other collies I've seen. He's got a twisted, devious side to him and he will sneak out of any situation to get a cat. Granted, he's only ever seen farm cats but once he's seen one, he's very calculated about how he goes to sneaking away to go and get it. I've watched him pull this off several times and it's not as much that he's sneaking off for cats as it is about how he goes about doing it. It's really something to see. I don't need a dog to kill a bobcat, I would rather they just held them at bay so if they are not hard on them it's a bonus for me. If they are tough on them, I just hope they don't put to many holes in them worrying the carcass after it's dead. I won't know that for a long time yet. It'll take them a good three seasons to become good at catching bobcats if they've got the right stuff in the first place. Bobcats are very hard to catch one after the other. A good dog is likely to catch cats at around 60% (track for track). I've seen better but not very many of those that go better than 60%.

• 2 months later...

I can see why you guys like this kind of dog. I have not been writing about them very much because I've been up to my ears in dog work the last few months and have not been around the house as much. I still like my leopards and I'm having fun killing coyotes with the stags but I'm having a ball with the lurchers. I've been taking them out on their own outings but I have started taking them long a lot more with the other dogs and letting them come in to trees and even put them on a couple of jumped races. As expected, they are learning very quick so I'm taking easy and not pushing them to hard. I had a close call with the wolves yesterday and had to move out of a good area but the wolves pushed most of the game out of that area anyhow. I tracked the roads out and didn't find hardly any critters around that part of the country. Be glad you don't have any wolves around where you live. They're huge, powerful and all sorts of trouble.