Driving Fields

I use it as a way of keeping up with the course and keeping dog and quarry in lamp ...

Is that not cheating and making it easier for the dog. :blink: .when on foot i regularly loose gear when it goes beyond the beam..but the dog come's back for the next go or keep's trying in the dark which usualy result's in a miss..or sometimes a kill..personaly again on this subject i think lamping while driving field's will produce mediocre pooches that could well excell if walked normaly..

• Like 1

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i give it a thumbs down... dog men talk of testing the dog.. well as far as i see it you chase the rabbit/hare/fox down then throw the dog out the window at 20+ mph   not very sporting is it if th

Driving around a field slipping dogs on quarry is in no way hunting or any test for a decent dog ... It's just s way of bad dog men to brag that they have big numbers and bluff themselves that they ha

not with dog, gun or a 4x4.. maybe a field or two across from were i am ment to be (longnet)....   i know farmers that would trench the field if people started on there with 4x4.. i have already bee

I believe them same dog's would be fooked after 6/7 hr's on the lamp doing the same number's on foot.. :thumbs:

I believe any dog would be fooked after 6/7 hrs but if your dog wouldn't be then how do you think it would cope with 6/7 hrs of getting dropped out on foxes ?, its horses for courses mate...

I believe them same dog's would be fooked after 6/7 hr's on the lamp doing the same number's on foot.. :thumbs:

Which dogs do you mean? are you talking 6 or 7 hours on rabbits?

Any dog's on anything apart from katie. ;)

I believe any dog would be fooked after 6/7 hrs but if your dog wouldn't be then how do you think it would cope with 6/7 hrs of getting dropped out on foxes ?, its horses for courses mate...

Fair point.. but could them same dog's walk for that long and and do the same number's on good land that would produce the same amount..

I use it as a way of keeping up with the course and keeping dog and quarry in lamp ...

Is that not cheating and making it easier for the dog. :blink: .when on foot i regularly loose gear when it goes beyond the beam..but the dog come's back for the next go or keep's trying in the dark which usualy result's in a miss..or sometimes a kill..personaly again on this subject i think lamping while driving field's will produce mediocre pooches that could well excell if walked normaly..

Why would you think it as cheating?

As a personal thing... i have seen more gear and got more runs by venturing off road... i rember the first time i did it. Back of summer in a vw passat estate i ran 2 hares where you would never of thought to walk into..

Drove the land for donkey's years....would i have caught as much on foot...not a hope in hell. Sadly it's shot to shit now so it's all on shank's pony for me. The dogs get graft..but nowhere near the amount as they used to get. No i'm not a thief...No i'm not a chav..No i'm not a junkie...Just a bloke that wanted to put gear in front of his dogs. Started in the old GLF model of subaru so that'll give you some indication as to how long ago i started :thumbs:

• Like 2

Personaly i would say a dog is more taxed on foot as it has to make more distance up rather than being flung out of a car window on something that has been chased around the field to tire it out..and while the the dog is on foot it has to cover in the region of 30mile or more on a good night's lamping...where a dog that has been driven around will have to run and walk less than half that distance in a night..and above all that you will keep yourself half fit in the process of going it on foot..

Well said millet :victory:

Driving around a field slipping dogs on quarry is in no way hunting or any test for a decent dog ... It's just s way of bad dog men to brag that they have big numbers and bluff themselves that they have good dogs ... Take the vehicle away from them and will make them and their dogs looks very average ... If you want to hunt then get out of the truck and learn some field craft by walking the ground ......

Well said, the lads who walk have the best and most tested dogs :victory:

That's the most load of bollox av ever heard FACT

Have you seen the helicopter video footage of lads from your area? here it is :victory:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbgEvJKZT1E

If this is testing dogs I'd give up the game tommorow should be ashamed of them selves! And them dogs are the biggest pile of shit i have ever seen. Idiots.

Fair point.. but could them same dog's walk for that long and and do the same number's on good land that would produce the same amount..
I can't comment for other people but if a dogs fully fit and can run i can't see why it wouldn't, I think it all boils down to the breeding and conditioning, look at it this way if your dog can do it and you decided to start driving fields with that same dog it would still be able to do the hard nights on foot wouldn't it ?.

The way you work the dog is just another factor, any decent dog man should have that dog in peak fitness if he's giving it enough work.

• Like 1

:thumbs: @ Lucky ..horses fo coarses and all that.. :yes: ..what you do is upto you and a bit of debate don't hurt anyone on the net..good luck to all what ever you choose to do.. :victory: .

Edited by Millet

A dog cannot be got to peak fitness without walking and lamping for 6 or 7 hours.

Good diet, and proper exercise play a big part,but running quarry makes them peak and if your lamping from a motor there getting more than enough running to reach there peak.

A dog cannot be got to peak fitness without walking and lamping for 6 or 7 hours.

Good diet, and proper exercise play a big part,but running quarry makes them peak and if your lamping from a motor there getting more than enough running to reach there peak.

:hmm: No you definitely have not convinced me :no:

• Like 1

:hmm: No you definitely have not convinced me :no:

You really should gove it a try mate you dont know what your missing :thumbs: just get a scooby legacy and some of those off road tyres and away you go.. the uk is your oyster :thumbs:

You think a dog lays down and goes to sleep between runs from the motor?? he/she is up on their toes from start of the night to the end. Another thing...no one in their right mind is gunna sling a dog from the motor at 30 mph. motor should be stopped till the dog is out . By which time the quarry has a head start of a slip from foot..Very rarely did we ever get a slip of less than 70/80 yards..by then the fox was running flat out aswell..Doubt most mouthing off on here have ever experienced a proper hard nights lamping from the motor on quarry that bites back. :thumbs:

• Like 2

Its not about the hours spent walking its about the tackle that gets put in front of the dog and has a couple of lads have already said you will never in a million years get to run the same amount walking as you would driving the land,like lucky said you soon get to see what a dog is realy made of on a good night in the motor,lamping from 10 at night untill 5 in the morning thats alot of ground getting covered.