.17 Wsm Update

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've actually just found a WSM at a RFD about 14 miles from me.  Never seen one for real before so I may just pop in and touch it!

I quite agree with both of you, the bullet as I stated before has ample energy to despatch a fox never mind a rabbit at 250 yards, irrespective of if it is fired from a rimfire or a centerfire, no arg

Probably be here before Brexit is settled!

Iv not had a problem yet touch wood

A problem with what mate? Do you have one of these super new nail guns?

If you mean HMR yeah, it's not caused me any dramas. The Odd stoppage but that's down to me.

That said iv heard a few stories now

• 5 years later...

No Bob, Only have an SGC and current financial considerations mean I won't be applying for any expensive toys in the foreseeable future. I've not looked at reports on the WSM for a long time, but I don't think it's made i into Europe. I know a few people have knocked it, but the performance from a rimfire speaks for itself. I think the issue has been the case problems and from it's apparent low profile, I'm guessing it's maybe not getting a huge take up now in the States due to the issue. I wouldn't know, but I've not seen much about it.

On ‎05‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 10:23, Alsone said:

No Bob, Only have an SGC and current financial considerations mean I won't be applying for any expensive toys in the foreseeable future. I've not looked at reports on the WSM for a long time, but I don't think it's made i into Europe. I know a few people have knocked it, but the performance from a rimfire speaks for itself. I think the issue has been the case problems and from it's apparent low profile, I'm guessing it's maybe not getting a huge take up now in the States due to the issue. I wouldn't know, but I've not seen much about it.

Thanks for your reply, I saw one in a gun shop near me recently and remembered this blog. I did think about changing my HMR at one time for the WSM for a bit more oomph, if they ever took off.

ATB Bob.

I have always had a hankering for a 17 rem cf. Now that is a cracker. It's always been  big in Australia and to a lesser degree in the state's. It is a std factory round so there is no problem with forming ammo and  It has a piano string trajectory out to 300. but although I have a slot for one and would love to have one, and can afford one, I can't justify it as well as the 222 and 223, 243 and 270 that I  have. It isn't  the cost,  its that I  know that I would get involved with reloading for it and although it would be fun I don't want to  get involved in another project.

3 hours ago, Underdog said:

It still doesn't make any sense to me , 17 hmr, 17h,17 fireball and the now classic 17rem. So why bring out another 17?.

They should of come out with a .25.

I think the point was it's a rimfire so potentially cheap on ammo but has CF performance. In the US, Federal WSM ammunition is $20 for a block of 50 rounds. For most .17 CF's that would buy around 20 rounds. Shooting Magazine UK report UK prices as £38 per 100 = 38p per shot for factory ammunition.

Shooting UK seemed to like the calibre but not the bolt on Savage. Accuracy was reported as being a single hole at 50yds, 0.75 inch at 100yds, and 2 inches being possible at 200yds: https://www.shootinguk.co.uk/reviews/shotgun/savage-b-mag-target-17-wsm

13 hours ago, Underdog said:

It still doesn't make any sense to me , 17 hmr, 17h,17 fireball and the now classic 17rem. So why bring out another 17?.

They should of come out with a .25.

Or 22 to take advantage of the semi auto platform.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Brickhill said:

Can anyone really see the WSM coming to the UK? 

The .17 hornet seems like a better option or go the full hog and go .204 Ruger .

Events have surprised me a little, but many years ago when it was suggested we will see these "next year", I more than made the point, don't hold your breath?   In fairness, I simply expected it to take 2 or 3 years longer until the UK as poor relations actually had a allocation, I didn't expect events to take the turn they have!

17 hours ago, walshie said:

So the update after 5 years is no-one has one and no-one is likely to get one. 

Pretty close, I think the number in the UK is about in line with hens teeth, and certainly no immediate expectations of them arriving in bulk and taking the market by storm! :thumbs:

1 hour ago, Deker said:

Events have surprised me a little, but many years ago when it was suggested we will see these "next year", I more than made the point, don't hold your breath?   In fairness, I simply expected it to take 2 or 3 years longer until the UK as poor relations actually had a allocation, I didn't expect events to take the turn they have!

Pretty close, I think the number in the UK is about in line with hens teeth, and certainly no immediate expectations of them arriving in bulk and taking the market by storm! :thumbs:

Probably be here before Brexit is settled!

• Haha 2