Your Mews/housing...

Gaz_1989

Free lofting is safer in colder weather I think but all my falcons are in my falcon room on shelf pearchs and screen perches. Really can't wait for the 12th!

Ive spoke to a few people about the risk of tethering during colder months but alot of people seem to do it with no problem.

Surely in theory the tethering perch could be placed 5 foot off the ground to keep the bird away from any ground frost?

yeah u are right min of 3 ft from floor the ones that suffer from wingtip odema are the ones that are kept them out on bow pearches and a bad desighned mews ive bin around b.o.p for a long time and never had probs but some do free loft and have no probs at all its a pearsonal prefrence to be honest...

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is mine i freeloft in moult and teather in season half roof open and half closed so in the moult she can get all elements but sunlight is a must to stop pinched feathers but always have a shaded

Good luck gaz look forward to reading your journey

Pisses me off when folk say thats a bad design of mews, thats not the way to go about it, theres given advice then there is telling somebody what to do, if you dont like the design then dont comment,

Posted Images

Free lofting is safer in colder weather I think but all my falcons are in my falcon room on shelf pearchs and screen perches. Really can't wait for the 12th!

Ive spoke to a few people about the risk of tethering during colder months but alot of people seem to do it with no problem.

Surely in theory the tethering perch could be placed 5 foot off the ground to keep the bird away from any ground frost?

True that's just my way of doing things

:thumbs: im not just a prity face :laugh:

I've got heater in mine in it drops to much!

I did aswell but found it was messing his weight up so stopped doing it

people have kept hawks on bow perches for years with no problem, keeping a perch higher will eliminate the problem but then theres problems with tangling, id say 5ft is more than is needed to be honest, id say average perch height is probably 2-3 foot with the tail feathers they will be closer to the ground so maybe 1.5-2.5 feet.

yeah u are right min of 3 ft from floor the ones that suffer from wingtip odema are the ones that are kept them out on bow pearches and a bad desighned mews ive bin around b.o.p for a long time and never had probs but some do free loft and have no probs at all its a pearsonal prefrence to be honest...

exactly how i had mine.when first manning i used a very low bow perch just so the tail feather were of the floor then soon as i was able to pick her strait up without any baiting i whent to a ring perch which was kept from 3 ft to 3 ft 6 during cold weather

exactly how i had mine.when first manning i used a very low bow perch just so the tail feather were of the floor then soon as i was able to pick her strait up without any baiting i whent to a ring perch which was kept from 3 ft to 3 ft 6 during cold weather

:victory: spot on

What do people think of this idea?

This is my garage...

A85A0B6D-3D7B-44A7-BA58-88C28B41E4FD-184

And inside...

D5724D90-B916-44EC-B27B-9855390BFFEF-184

It is about 20 foot by 15 foot. As you can see in the bottom corner is my brick built ferret court.

I'm thinking about moving the ferrets and using some galvanised dog panels like the ones below to build a pen for a hawk.

BEFB3F02-2AA0-4B2F-86B2-1E4EA4225D80-536

I've got enough of these spare to have 4 for one side (13 foot) and 2 the other side (6' 6"). Obviously the other 2 sides would be the garage walls.

I would put a roof on made from 8' x 4' chipboard sheets and remove the window which can be seen in the photo and fit galvanised bars 5cm apart.

I would also fit shutters to the window so that I can lock her down at night to prevent excess draft or weather getting in.

I am planning to fit vinyl flooring to the whole garage so this will make cleaning easy.

What do people think?

Could this be a good setup?

I dont know mate, i think an outside aviary would be better, better lighting, exposure to weather

Bowing out everyday might not be an option depending on how laid back the bird is, as you know my bird didnt take too well to it. Size wise fine but still think on outside setup would be best