Long Net Poles

DanAdams

Hi all, i'm part of the way through making a budget long net and was thinking about the poles earlier. Because I'm trying to make it as cheap as possible I don't want to spend £4 on each pole buying the proper ones . I was just wondering what people use. I heard some people use hazel? Thanks Dan

Hazel for me every time. It's free, is plentiful, grows straight and hardens off nicely. Usually cut mine in winter when the sap is down, then let them dry and harden off.

If he's got to wait till the saps down and dry them he's not going to be using them this year

Must be me, but it seems everybody wants to buy, buy, buy. Where are all the people gone who make, make, make?............lol. Really nice when you use something that works, which you made and cost next to nothing. Cut some Hazel now and store in the dry, by the time it's used, it'll be dry enough and it will get dryer.

Must be me, but it seems everybody wants to buy, buy, buy. Where are all the people gone who make, make, make?............lol. Really nice when you use something that works, which you made and cost next to nothing. Cut some Hazel now and store in the dry, by the time it's used, it'll be dry enough and it will get dryer.

I make 99% of my own gear but hazel poles are no good for the baskets that I make, if they were consistently the same diameter I use them but as they are not I buy the poles.

midsizebasket002_zpsd17a5aa2.jpg

midsizebasket003_zps628ac24d.jpg

Ive used tradional Hazel for years, still do, but the object of the basket system is to store your nets and poles, the smaller basket i use holds four 5 yds stop nets, using the fibreglass poles. thats 8 poles.

There is no way you can get hazel thin enough, and would still hold your net.

Hazel is fine with the tradional system, and fibreglass with the preset and basket.

Theres room in the sport to use both, its not the case of sticking to just the one method.

tent poles buy cheap tents from car boots chuck tent away poles are us but i do make some spikes for the ends and weld them in :laugh::thumbs:

Be carfull using these tent poles, i were sorting some stop nets out on the green when one of these splinterd, i didnt get them in me but if my hand had slipped down the pole the outcome wouldnt have been good, atb, buster.

• Like 1

I don't use quick sets and seeing LC's basket was made for 10mm glass poles, it's only them that will fit in them. That said, this chap seems to do well with his makeshift netting gear.

http://www.thehuntin...me-longnetting/

Most commercially available baskets will accommodate hazel poles so I dont see the problem with using them.

TC

Edited by tiercel