Pest Control Newbie

Shaunm hi.

Try HIBU/ part of Yell ,it certainly surprised me ,£12.00 a month all in and it is superb for me at least, 4 jobs last week from it and I only do it part time as have a full time night job.

I had read nothing but bad reviews about Yell ,and regretted joining within minutes of doing so,but glad now I did, I know of people spending fortunes a year on it but getting no calls .

I do not have a website as it would mean me refusing work or putting off for days .

My main advertising costs £51.00 a month for a local magazine, it is top class though & hits 11'000 houses, check out similar in your area.

What the previous posters say about the Pest forum I agree with totally,I couldn't be arsed to ask a question in the end as the old stagers who know it all would reply with come back when you get experience.

I have the level 2 but no exam will compensate for common sense when out in a field or in a roofspace,

Class site this and I doubt I have seen one reply on any thread belittling anyone new or inexperienced no matter what the question.

Keep it up folks highly enjoyable.

I dont think your make it rich as a pestie, but will have fun on the way. Try getting some really good flyers and postcard sized adverts, laminate them and staple to telegraph poles and notice boards and in shop windows, its all about getting your name out there, keep trying you will get some work and if good and can talk to the customer will get repeat business and more importantly recommendations.

Choose well for your adverts, perhaps a logo, a colour that will set you apart from the others, keep to it, and then customers will be drawn to it, may help them track you down at a later date. If your in the NPTA then put this on the ad, it all helps.

I got 3000 flyers for less than £100 a good investment. put through doors, if you see mole hills in a garden stop and put flyer in letter box? all helps

Good Luck

yes an update would be interesting , I must say I had booked a level2 course , but have now carried on with my regular self-employed work instead of taking the plunge , I've cancelled my place on the course. .

I did however go on a mole control course as my market research showed this is what the majority of people in my area where after,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and it has really taken off.

unsure as to whether this will pay all my bills ,but for now it's great without all the extra hassle of starting up completely in a new career with a piece of paper and NO experience.

The best way is to knock on doors, Look at other pest controllers work and you will soon find out you can take the the jobs away from them. Some of larger firms are taking customers for granted with poor service and bad practice. All my work comes from walking into shops/commercial/industrial units and asking the question. I have a website but i find most customers i talk to will look at the site as soon as i leave, some call back and some i have to visit again but most will have checked out my site. Dont let anyone tell you how to run your company if you want to add to your list of talents (building, window cleaning etc) just do it, its called customer service. Take a look at the facilities management companies. I dont post much on forums because Pete and Matt are spot on you dont need somebody telling you you not a pest controller !!!!!!

iwm24.com

The best way is to knock on doors, Look at other pest controllers work and you will soon find out you can take the the jobs away from them. Some of larger firms are taking customers for granted with poor service and bad practice. All my work comes from walking into shops/commercial/industrial units and asking the question. I have a website but i find most customers i talk to will look at the site as soon as i leave, some call back and some i have to visit again but most will have checked out my site. Dont let anyone tell you how to run your company if you want to add to your list of talents (building, window cleaning etc) just do it, its called customer service. Take a look at the facilities management companies. I dont post much on forums because Pete and Matt are spot on you dont need somebody telling you you not a pest controller !!!!!!

iwm24.com

Exactly. ;)