GWP Lurchers

Guest reload

Interesting read on what others have found with the GWP lurcher.

I have hunted alot with Pure bred GWP and to be honest, they are tremedous hunters, find game anywhere, and will go all day.I have seen the do some exeptional things in the field.

They are not easy at all, personally i would rather run a pure one with a lurcher than run a GWP X as a lurcher.

regards reload

post-46-1187684221_thumb.jpg

post-46-1187684275_thumb.jpg

post-46-1187684372_thumb.jpg

Edited by reload

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

5/8 greyhound 3/8 gwp been a good bitch to me 

? dunt gerrus wrong when a were young and keen it were alright ? but now it's minimal effort for maximum gain ,I go about it like I'm agen the clock fastest time wins ,so u berra keep up cos once I'm

Blackie-'can I have a 68,and owe you one love?'???  Never keep a women if you don't MUFF them out at least once a week?

Posted Images

i can understand that reload,i think for a large part of the hunting i do a pure gwp would do fine.

for any young un or newcomer who looks at the footage on here or the ferreting dvd i made at the end of last season and thinks they want one.THINK AGAIN..............they are not beginners dogs so my advice would be to get in some experience with another type first.

they need alot of excercise to keep them sane,i cant see me ever wanting anything else but that dosent mean id recommend one.

Thanks for the response

I've had these type of dogs for about eight years now, all from the same family with a bit of whippet greyhound added which produced an easier dog to live with. Quiet in kennels and didn't need the amount of work the half pointers had to have. My original dog was half GWP half lurcher and to be honest lacked a yard, but I have seen some half GWP half greyhound that were plenty fast enough.

Edited by spot1

I wonder, before the ban of course, how such cross' would have faired on tough, hard to kill game?....ive seen PURE gwp do some things that would cause a Game bred dog to look twice at its own abilitys...i wonder what a GWP x Staghound (coyote killing lurcher) would be like?...

Kye,..

im not sure,mine took the odd pre ban fox but nothing to show me they could do it regularly.

she loves the ratting but thats not the same.

id like to try a faster gwp cross.my bitch isnt really a running dog.at daytime bunny catching on the steep fells she does great but is so limited at any other lurcherwork.

my bitch may aswell be a pure pointer because she is seriously slow.

she is priceless to me and i cant thank my good mate(half and half on here) enough for coming to my house that night years ago telling me about the litter.

she is slow and heavy built,but then she survived an injury that would kill most lurchers and had a very hectic rabbiting season last time round and didnt miss anytime through injury.she didnt just run on nice ground either,i travel for good ground its all woods and quarry/wastelands here.

if i was to get another lurcher id want a faster dog,still gwp bred but faster. BUT whilst my bitch could do with being faster she can supply me,herself and the fox that visits my garden every night rabbits for most of the year without having to run by using her nose and hunting skills.

food for thought :hmm: ..............and definately a case of horses for courses.

Phil, might be able to get you onto some nice land with your pointer struggling with the computer don't want to put my telephone number on the screen how can I get intouch with you.

I have a gsp x grey and he's fast enough for the things with antlers(before ban) but lacks agility and acceleration on bunnies and fox..........he's coming on well though

Are all pointer x's ridiculously slow to mature? And i'm with phil on the emotional rollercoaster, one minute not a foot wrong, instinctively does what you want, blind trust in mine and his abilities to catch, endless stamina then other nights i may as well not be there hunting with him, i could do better running backwards, he looks as if every rabbit is his first he's ever seen and will pull up 10 yards(rare) from cover and come back........other nights he runs straight through often taking things out on the way through!!

I shoot all my foxes but when they run as they sometimes do, even if you cut them in half!! he will grab and catch, shake, nip and bay!! he's not a killing dog but, i was worried about this but his style is like that of pointers in denmark on red deer to nip and bay and hold so i let him get on with it!! of course if theres another dog there he'll hold, kill and then run off with it! makes measuring my shot distance hard when he retreives them...............generally i am very pleased.....i do want a smaller faster more agile dog for the rabbits as i have small fields, pointer x is not a dog for small fields but i think he would be excellent on the moors(which is where he was bred for)

i know an awsome gsp x greyhound its huge fast and could take anything iv got a pure bred gsp that goes hard on a fox and can almost catch a rabbit i dont no any good gwp and iv never owned one but i wouldnt hesitate doing my own gsp cross grey go for it i reacon

• 14 years later...
On 23/08/2007 at 21:59, gelert said:

I have a gsp x grey and he's fast enough for the things with antlers(before ban) but lacks agility and acceleration on bunnies and fox..........he's coming on well though

Are all pointer x's ridiculously slow to mature? And i'm with phil on the emotional rollercoaster, one minute not a foot wrong, instinctively does what you want, blind trust in mine and his abilities to catch, endless stamina then other nights i may as well not be there hunting with him, i could do better running backwards, he looks as if every rabbit is his first he's ever seen and will pull up 10 yards(rare) from cover and come back........other nights he runs straight through often taking things out on the way through!!

I shoot all my foxes but when they run as they sometimes do, even if you cut them in half!! he will grab and catch, shake, nip and bay!! he's not a killing dog but, i was worried about this but his style is like that of pointers in denmark on red deer to nip and bay and hold so i let him get on with it!! of course if theres another dog there he'll hold, kill and then run off with it! makes measuring my shot distance hard when he retreives them...............generally i am very pleased.....i do want a smaller faster more agile dog for the rabbits as i have small fields, pointer x is not a dog for small fields but i think he would be excellent on the moors(which is where he was bred for)

All pointers and the crosses are slow to mature normal for a pointer to mature and settle in to its trade well.its around the 2.5 years mark. Very very heads strong. I've 3 Pure gwps and  litter of 4 gwp x bull lurcher on at the min 8 weeks and keen ad mustard

10 minutes ago, Huntsmaster95 said:

All pointers and the crosses are slow to mature normal for a pointer to mature and settle in to its trade well.its around the 2.5 years mark. Very very heads strong. I've 3 Pure gwps and  litter of 4 gwp x bull lurcher on at the min 8 weeks and keen ad mustard

You got photos of the sire and dam

mate?