1 For Dan, Wolfs Kill Coyote..

Saluki246, I'm betting you don't live in wolf country. They are nasty critters. I sat down with David Mench (former lead wolf biologist for N. America now retired) and he showed me some of his video footage when I was in college. It's the stuff that will never make the documentaries. I've seen first hand what they'll do to a hound...there ain't much left after around 12 minutes, just mittens, cap and tail. They do actively hunt the hounds and they do it on a regular basis. Not just in the spring when the pups are out. They do it all year. When you are in the wolves territory it's pretty obvious because there are almost no animals around. They either moved out or are wolf crap. There is a reason why our forefathers got rid of them, trust their wisdom. They are seriously considering messing with humans on a regular basis but fortunately they have an instinctual caution where it concerns humans but it's fading and there's often an individual that is willing to test the boundaries of what it can get away with. I've been followed out of the woods by wolves and it's a bad feeling. That was not a one time event either. There are a lot of folks who think they are neat until they have to deal with them first hand.

Yes, i was in wolf country in turkey as a kid many years ago. From what i can remember, they take a lot of livestock from sheperds, they have the devils own job trying to guard them. They have a dog called the karabash, however, they need a a few of these, as loan dogs have been killed! The karabash dog is massive!

I still like the wolf and respect its power and ability to hunt all sorts of prey and defend it self very well, which is one of the reasons i would not choose to hunt them with dogs, as said, that is my personal choice. I have with my own eyes, seen a wolf pack hunt down a huge moose bull in amarica, a few years ago, when i visited my father, it was a rare site and i was very lucky to see it, all i will say is, they pursued the moose for near on 3 hrs, round and round. They are the top predator for sure. The point you make about hounds ect getting ripped apart, well, they are just defending them selfs, unfortunately, this is how they do it, prehaps thats one of the reasons it is not allowed to hunt them with dogs over their, much the same here with badgers and dogs.

I have also, 22 years ago, kept a wild wolf here in ireland. A friends father imported 2 pups from canada, he was working on the oil plants out their and some hunters had shot the parents, which they wont suppose to do, so he adopted them and after a lot of messing about with customs ect, eventually got them here. To say it was interesting keeping it, was a understatement and i had to show it a lot of respect, after that, i am totally against them being kept in captivity, not fair on them. The wolf is a great dog, in my opinion and it would be a shame to see it gone. :thumbs:

Dan, have you the footage of this?

I understand why they have done this, dogs were on their patch. I really think the wolf is a very misunderstood animal.

Don't get me wrong, i am not against wolf hunting at all, i have known of men in turkey, that have walked down from the mountains over a few days, trying to get to the nearest village in the depts of winter and a pack of wild wolves would follow them, they would wait to see if they got weak, then attack and kill and eat them. In certain parts of turkey., its very wild and some wolves don't see human beings at all, they have no fear of them and when they are on their patch and hungry, they will go in for the kill, as in winter on them mountains, it can get 20 to 30 below.

I just think, its sometimes get blown up too much and a lot of inocent wolves get culled for no reason. The attacks i have mentioned are rare, but from time to time they do happen.

I think if you leave them alone, they just avoid you most of the time, after all the dog, is a wolf, if mated, they produce fertile pups, not the same when it comes to coyotes and foxes. :thumbs:

I understand why they have done this, dogs were on their patch. I really think the wolf is a very misunderstood animal.

Don't get me wrong, i am not against wolf hunting at all, i have known of men in turkey, that have walked down from the mountains over a few days, trying to get to the nearest village in the depts of winter and a pack of wild wolves would follow them, they would wait to see if they got weak, then attack and kill and eat them. In certain parts of turkey., its very wild and some wolves don't see human beings at all, they have no fear of them and when they are on their patch and hungry, they will go in for the kill, as in winter on them mountains, it can get 20 to 30 below.

I just think, its sometimes get blown up too much and a lot of inocent wolves get culled for no reason. The attacks i have mentioned are rare, but from time to time they do happen.

I think if you leave them alone, they just avoid you most of the time, after all the dog, is a wolf, if mated, they produce fertile pups, not the same when it comes to coyotes and foxes. :thumbs:

Dogs can be bred to coyotes.

Dogs can be bred to coyotes.

Do they produce fertile young? Did not know that, as far as i know they did not. But i don't mind being corrected if i am wrong. :thumbs:

Just found this below, interesting, it also seems, dog coyote hybrids are not too fertile, compared to wolf x dogs. :thumbs:

''Coyotes will sometimes mate with domestic dogs, usually in areas such as Texas and Oklahoma, where the coyotes are plentiful and the breeding season is extended because of the warm weather. The resulting hybrids, calledcoydogs, maintain the coyote's predatory nature, along with the dog's lack of timidity toward humans, making them a more serious threat to livestock than pure-blooded animals. This crossbreeding has the added effect of confusing the breeding cycle. Coyotes usually breed only once a year, while coydogs will breed year-round, producing many more pups than a wild coyote. Differences in the ears and tail generally can be used to distinguish coydogs from domestic or feral dogs or pure coyotes.[33] Breeding experiments in Germany with poodles, coyotes, and later on with the resulting dog-coyote hybrids showed that, unlike wolfdogs, coydogs exhibit a decrease in fertility, significant communication problems, and an increase of genetic diseases after three generations of interbreeding.[34]''

Ya they are fertile and you can damn near tell when you catch one thats got some dog in it cuz they usually have some unique color or something about them. Might not be much dog but you can just tell. I aint caught many like that though.

Ya they are fertile and you can damn near tell when you catch one thats got some dog in it cuz they usually have some unique color or something about them. Might not be much dog but you can just tell. I aint caught many like that though.

:thumbs: ..if anyone knows, id say you would Dan, as your out their doing it. :thumbs:

coydogs are fertile. i remember reading about the experiments breeding coyotes to poodles, and they werent very scientific as the 3 generations were bred from brother/sister matings which is almost certainly the reason for the drop in fertility. in fact most hybrids which are fertile ( not sterile like mules) are actually usually more fertile than either parent breed as a result of heterosis (hybrid vigour)

• Like 1