Advice On Buying Adult Dogs At This Time Of Year.

best way to bring a pup on yourself, least you no if it turns out rubbish its for the right reasons. alot will ruin a dog and then sell it on, like said if you dont no them or the dog be carefull. i was going to try and buy a dog in but people i no wont sell a good dog and i wouldnt want some one elses mistakes.

The only way to buy a dog ever is if you are buying from a guy that you absolutely know is a no bullshit kinda man. Dont ever buy one from any other type of person. Ive bought a few dogs over the years and in all that time I only bought 3 that were worth a damn and they all 3 came from the same guy. 2 the first go around and 1 the second go around. Every single other dog I have ever paid for I got hosed big time. HAHA!

Edit to say thats techinically not true. I paid about $1100 dollars one time for the best dog I ever owned plus got a bitch and 2 pups out of him. I never really considered it buying though cuz the fella had that much in fuel brining him to me. Luckiest day of my life in dogs Id say and I wont forget it.

Edited by Dan Edwards

cannot see the point myself, if it works out well then its someone else's dog anyhow and not your work, to me half the fun is putting the graft into em in first place, and making them into summat, that way if it goes right at least you know you doing well with dogs.

Not many will sell anything that's half decent anyhow unless its daft money and even then at this time of year its a risk , likely end up with someone elses garbage, trials no good as quarry is soft in summer, better to wait for a pup to come along and put the hard work in yourself, that way no one to blame but yourself , some want it too easy and for me that makes it just as easty to get rid when the next hobby comes along and takes there fancy,

• Like 1

not all dogs being sold are gonna be dirt, there is many a man due to financial difficulties end up with no other choice than to part some dogs. some people may have pups showing enough signs which also may make them part a dog as they may feel like they will not get enough work for them. so you have a chance of buying decent. but if it was me i would buy a pup and if your stuck for hunting dog buy a working dog too, to tie you over til the pup is starting.

not all dogs being sold are gonna be dirt, there is many a man due to financial difficulties end up with no other choice than to part some dogs. some people may have pups showing enough signs which also may make them part a dog as they may feel like they will not get enough work for them. so you have a chance of buying decent. but if it was me i would buy a pup and if your stuck for hunting dog buy a working dog too, to tie you over til the pup is starting.

A friend of mine has just sold a very well bred 2.5 years old bitch on here for almost half what he paid for it,its unspoilt and can do the business, people just need to be cautious.

Edited by inan
  • Like 1

I bought a saluki bull gh of preloved last year and my bro in law owns her now as my circumstances were bad last year so wasnt fair on dog i gave her to him and shes possibly the best lamper iv ever seen but shes only a lamper.

Unless you can take it out and give it a trial - Avoid like the plague-

Also many people get seriously ripped off like this, plus even if you were lucky enough to get a dog that was a decent worker for it's previous owner, it has no bond to you, uncertain temprement, may have underlying illness so much could go bad.

Get a decent pup and put in the time and effort, get to know the dog completely, it's hard work and time but it saves you a lot of cash and potential heartbreak if you try to cut corners by buying an adult.

best wishes

I say get a pup... Unless you get a trail or know the dog :) I got a whippethound 2years back was told he was live to hand and very obedient... He was the exact opposite, he would tear rabbits apart and run off if he missed a rabbit, there's a lot of lads out there that will say anything to make a few quid at the expense of others.

• Like 1

iv bought in adult dogs and anything i own is there for good.so not all are part timers

be careful as most dogs will have got there bad habit and from my experience not very meany blokes will sell a good or even half decent dog they only pass on there crap and ask top dollar for them. why not buy a pup and do it right from the start. but that's just me each to there own good luck what ever you decide.