After Vin's Food/diet Thread. What About Condtioning

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

f**k me..I'm out of breath reading this let alone going on some of the aforementioned training regimes..for the odd rabbit and a few rats I can't really see the point :-)

I give mine a good lay off and myself . It's hard slog in the winter with working long shifts and getting the dogs out as much as possible. I would say they remain reasonably fit with walking about th

ALL THIS QUAD TALK WORK THEM TO FITNESS THATS THE ONLY WAY, TROTTING BEHIND A CAR ETC,, KEEPS THEM IN TRIM, AND THATS ABOUT IT,, TRUTH KNOWN CHUCKING A BALL ON A SCOPE 20/30 TIMES WILL DO THEM MORE GO

Posted Images

ive only ever had lamping dogs ive just got a coursing bred pup dont think im

going to change how i get him fit i start off end of july 4 mile a day on bike then

after 2 weeks 8 mile every 3 days start lamping september twice a week by

october im out everynight i can, the pup im going to be starting this year has

just started getting out behind the bike he,s quite heavily built so im going to

take things easier with him behind the bike

After i read Vin's diet thread. Thought in conjuntion with diet theres the condtioning and fitteness training also thats just as important.

So whats everyones thoughts on this. What do you do

I mostly try to road mine along side my truck every day or night that I can. I let them run down along the creeks, rivers, and through the timbers too. If they chase something so be it. I like watching them hunt and jack around and I bet we killed a dozen coyotes or better this year just doing this. If I'm just roading them though I will jog them a lil ways to let them empty out and then I will sprint them for a mile, then jog them for bout a mile, spring them for a mile and kinda jog them for another mile or so and then jump em up in the truck and head home. I don't spend a lot of time roading them for miles cuz diesel is so damn expensive. I do have my nights though where I road them for miles and miles and miles. I like doing that every now and then too.

• Like 1

good topic Tiny.. a lot like to keep it all top secret in the coursing world...lets hope one or 2 will share a few pearls of wisdom upon us all.

Roadwork and running behing the motor/bike gets them looking fitter and helps toughen up the pads..But there is no alternative to running them fit also at the same time...they need to be behind something to acquire the final levels of fitness and the bike just doesnt give them that..they need something edible and fluffy 6inches from the end of there nose a full speed to inspire them to push that bit harder..lol.

I also belive in getting them out young and building up there stamina...no point waiting for the lungs to develop..help them along the way and develop them even bigger. ( this is a very fine line with a pup making sure you never over do it at the same time ).

For an example ..look at them 2 pups of Fuji's . . . he,s had them out from day 1 stomping up and down hills and mountains etc etc.. they will have bags of stamina of that I am certain. . . I would like to see how pups from the same litter have done with none of the same treatment ? Some leave them until there a lot older to even start fitness training and conditioning.

All I know is my old mate you used to say about a dog " is it fit ? " or is it " running fit ? " the 2 things can be miles apart.

Also for a little more fuel... a lot of them Bull X types can look fit down to the genitics of the breding and extra muscle bulk etc etc... but not always be as fit as they look to be.(hope that makes sense ).

Great post and aint that the truth bout a bulldog or a cross. Them dogs wont be in real good shape until they look damn near skinny. If more folks knew that right there they wouldn't be talkin bout how bulldogs don't have any stamina cuz in fact they got loads if they are in shape.

• Like 1

After i read Vin's diet thread. Thought in conjuntion with diet theres the condtioning and fitteness training also thats just as important.

I mostly try to road mine along side my truck every day or night that I can. I let them run down along the creeks, rivers, and through the timbers too. If they chase something so be it. I like watching them hunt and jack around and I bet we killed a dozen coyotes or better this year just doing this. If I'm just roading them though I will jog them a lil ways to let them empty out and then I will sprint them for a mile, then jog them for bout a mile, spring them for a mile and kinda jog them for another mile or so and then jump em up in the truck and head home. I don't spend a lot of time roading them for miles cuz diesel is so damn expensive. I do have my nights though where I road them for miles and miles and miles. I like doing that every now and then too.

Just out of curiosity... how much is diesel per litre in your part of the world? :thumbs:

• Like 1

Just out of curiosity... how much is diesel per litre in your part of the world? :thumbs:

Nowhere near as much as it is in yours but I'm also driving an 8500 pound truck with a 6.4 liter powerstroke so I aint quite getting the mileage yall are. Anyhow its bout $4 a gallon here where I live. Its different all over the country though cuz of different tax laws in different states.

Thanks dan.

Buy a smaller truck :laugh:

Not quite sure of the $ to £ conversion... but id certainly be well happy paying £4 a gallon. :thumbs:

£2 .59 a gallon

Takes the piss don't it,,, how the feck you can complain at that dan,, feck knows,,, I bet it's 20 years since it was that price here

• Like 2