Top Line Coursing Dog Men..question About Dog Diets.

Guest vin

You get people that know best,everything they have or seen is the best,there way of feeding or doing is the best and theres a few on here like that,everyone has there own bits of ideas and aslong as there dogs are fit,happy,look well and do the job intended who gives a f**k.

• Like 5

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Chappie as a base meal,i always like to feed tilda wild rice with gree thai curry paste,a tin of amoy coconut milk for added fat and the night before coursing 3 bags of prawn crackers at 12 midnight..

You can feed a dog on fillet steak or Orijen which imo is the best complete dog meal available,[and so it should be at over £60 for 13kg], but if the dog is not getting the required amount of regula

I'm not a top coursing man , but in my experience, fitness conditioning is as, if not more important than the diet. Diet alone won't get and keep a dog running. Many years ago, my OH had a mongrelly

You get people that know best,everything they have or seen is the best,there way of feeding or doing is the best and theres a few on here like that,everyone has there own bits of ideas and aslong as there dogs are fit,happy,look well and do the job intended who gives a f**k.

amen

Oh and obviously none of them can be kept on a self feeder in the summer months. They will get fat on you for sure then but in the winter when they are sore and tired 7 days a week most of them cant hardly eat enough to stay kept up. Its a very fine line with dogs that are good enough to be on a self feeder and those that literally just wont eat enough to stay up the whole winter. Some are just too picky to make it.

So you feed them mostly on some form of complete kibble type diet ? in a feeder or not.

Yes sir in a self feeder and then we toss meat to em or scraps or whatever when we think bout it but like I said not all dogs can be kept that way cuz they gluttons.

I keep my ferrets the same way...lol.

If I did the same with my dogs they would be like bull mastivs in a week and unable to move...lol. (greedy bastardos)

Each too there own. And if its working for you and your getting the results well your doing somethng right.

Mine just on a mixed diet. Fresh meat bones eggs fresh fish and tinned fish bit of veg bit of pasta or rice and and i also use a dry feed aswell maybe once twice a wk.

The thing is it all depends on what thier doing, Most of the time in the winter i tailer there meals too what there doing and work load or if they dip slightly in condtion than certain things can be add or taken away if they get a bit rounded.

Think most will have too have a play about with there diets/feeding time ect too see what works for that dog casue what suits one will certainly not suit the other hence why theres so much diffrence in peoples feed habits. But its nice too hear others as you can get idears and take certain things too try

Likes been said said you can feed them lobster and cavier and not condtion it right you'll get no where

• Like 2

may god be with you :hmm::hmm:

Once upon a time I spent hours boiling meat up, picking the bones out of rabbit carcases which had simmered for hours in my burco boiler, measuring out exact amounts of fat, various supplements etc. The dogs ran well, looked good. Before that, even longer ago, I fed complete: dogs looked good, worked well. Cleaned up a lot of shit though and they farted like hell, no matter what the make of food.

Now I feed raw: takes a zillionith of the time to feed them. Mixture of all sorts of meat and carcases, all raw. Sometimes chuck in some rice and veg, brown bread, very occasionally a bit of complete if I run out of stuff: dogs still look good, work well. Major bonus with feeding raw is no more stinky farts, cleaner teeth, nicer breath, no anal gland problems, firmer shit etc etc. And costs a fraction of a good complete food.

It's a no brainer for me.

• Like 2

Once upon a time I spent hours boiling meat up, picking the bones out of rabbit carcases which had simmered for hours in my burco boiler, measuring out exact amounts of fat, various supplements etc. The dogs ran well, looked good. Before that, even longer ago, I fed complete: dogs looked good, worked well. Cleaned up a lot of shit though and they farted like hell, no matter what the make of food.

Now I feed raw: takes a zillionith of the time to feed them. Mixture of all sorts of meat and carcases, all raw. Sometimes chuck in some rice and veg, brown bread, very occasionally a bit of complete if I run out of stuff: dogs still look good, work well. Major bonus with feeding raw is no more stinky farts, cleaner teeth, nicer breath, no anal gland problems, firmer shit etc etc. And costs a fraction of a good complete food.

I feed exactly the same

wise words Penny..

The bit about it costing less money might prick a few ears up to the advantages of RAW/BARF.

my oldest dog will not eat anything else..I have tried every brand in the local PAH and ended up on the OZ formula at £60 a sack... Thats when I switched ? even my own vet tries to sell me on the science plan etc etc. . . I told him he needs to educate himself....lol.

I have cut my feed bill down by 75% in the last 2 years. . . and my dogs are better off by it. ;)

Distance runners are more likely to need carbs than sprinters, who have a different type of muscle to distance runners. Carbs are slow release energy, unlike fat, which is quick release energy food.

I cant decide if Im more shocked that you actually wrote this or that there are people on here dense enough that said they liked it. I think you might wanna go back and take nutrition 101 all over again doll. Or.... do like I tell all the ladies and get back in the kitchen and fetch us up some biscuits. HAHA!

Edit to say that the difference in speed/endurance in a coursing dog versus a lamping dog aint enough to even talk about the difference in diets. They are both sprinters for arguements sake. Facts are any dog that is ran on game needs quite a bit of carbs in them or else they are gonna fail. Cant wait for the wheat boys to jump on this one. HAHA!

Both sprinters? Wind your neck in. I know loads of dogs that run on minimal carbs and do fine.

Im only gonna have to assume that your definition of fine must not have a damn thing to do with one another cuz you are wrong. Running dogs are gonna have to have some sorta carb source to be ran over and over again. Its a fact not an opinion.

i just got my one used of not eating and he died on me

cop dog i got a service of 60lb weight and the best condition i seen on any dog got 6 raw chicken wings 100 grams heart an a large mug redmills and all the green veg he could get into it..plus plenty work..the only changes in the dogs diet was the 100 grams could of been beef or tripe

Edited by Banter

all i will say on ths subject is......how come we are so smart when it comes to our dogs and whats best for them...........when far smarter folk than me

cant decide whats best for us humans, we get so many conflicing opinions in what is best for us but then when it comes to dogs we know EXACTLY

what they need......all i can say is WE DONT, we have an idea and we do are best and judge by performance which isnt a bad thing by the way.......

But we just cant say what is best as we cant decide whats best for us,,,,,,,,,,onE day it's good for us the next it isnt, even salmon was bad for you not that

long ago FFS.

all i do is give a very varied diet with a few supliments and hope for the BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hear ya and actually no salmon was never "bad" for you but I agree 100% and know exactly what you are talkin about. There are just certain amounts of "toxins" in all food and if foolishly over consumed can over time cause issues in certain people. The media and our ignorant ass governments and all the bullchit scare tactis is why so many people think this is good for you but that is bad but next week its the exact opposite.

Oh and obviously none of them can be kept on a self feeder in the summer months. They will get fat on you for sure then but in the winter when they are sore and tired 7 days a week most of them cant hardly eat enough to stay kept up. Its a very fine line with dogs that are good enough to be on a self feeder and those that literally just wont eat enough to stay up the whole winter. Some are just too picky to make it.

So you feed them mostly on some form of complete kibble type diet ? in a feeder or not.

Yes sir in a self feeder and then we toss meat to em or scraps or whatever when we think bout it but like I said not all dogs can be kept that way cuz they gluttons.

If I did the same with my dogs they would be like bull mastivs in a week and unable to move...lol. (greedy bastardos)

Oh ya partner I get ya. I got a male dog here that there is no way I can feed like that. Our line of hounds though that we keep is awesome for feeding this way. None of them will ever get over weight, not even in the summer months when we are barely running them. They are just about perfect when it comes to feeding and care. To be honest ya don't even know that ya own them. They never bark and are extremely clean and well mannered. Wish my fast dogs were like this. HAHA!

Oh ya partner I get ya. I got a male dog here that there is no way I can feed like that. Our line of hounds though that we keep is awesome for feeding this way. None of them will ever get over weight, not even in the summer months when we are barely running them. They are just about perfect when it comes to feeding and care. To be honest ya don't even know that ya own them. They never bark and are extremely clean and well mannered. Wish my fast dogs were like this. HAHA!

Wow that is very impressive Dan.