Top Line Coursing Dog Men..question About Dog Diets.

Guest vin

fat is a slow realese energie source, skcat,,,sugars are quik release, in fact fat is sloer than complex carbs

Way slower and really cant be released hardly at all once heart rate is increased to a certain point. Its a resting energy release for the most part.

In the human body fat is only used as a source of energy when carb sources are depleted. That's why long slow running over 30 minute is recommended in humans for losing weight.

In dogs IMO the days leading to a hunt should be carb based so that the dog can store energy sources then when finished the hunt a high protein feed for recovery. But at end of day no diet be any good without fitness

short sprints over a duration of 20mins (interval training ) will lose more weight than a slow run over 30mins ....after exercise a high carb based diet is the best to add recovery , same with dogs .....exercise and diet go hand in hand ,one without the other is no good

Holy mashed potatoes batman. Somebody who actually knows wtf they are talkin bout when it comes to nutrition. I am floored.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Chappie as a base meal,i always like to feed tilda wild rice with gree thai curry paste,a tin of amoy coconut milk for added fat and the night before coursing 3 bags of prawn crackers at 12 midnight..

You can feed a dog on fillet steak or Orijen which imo is the best complete dog meal available,[and so it should be at over £60 for 13kg], but if the dog is not getting the required amount of regula

I'm not a top coursing man , but in my experience, fitness conditioning is as, if not more important than the diet. Diet alone won't get and keep a dog running. Many years ago, my OH had a mongrelly

fat is a slow realese energie source, skcat,,,sugars are quik release, in fact fat is sloer than complex carbs

Way slower and really cant be released hardly at all once heart rate is increased to a certain point. Its a resting energy release for the most part.

In the human body fat is only used as a source of energy when carb sources are depleted. That's why long slow running over 30 minute is recommended in humans for losing weight.

In dogs IMO the days leading to a hunt should be carb based so that the dog can store energy sources then when finished the hunt a high protein feed for recovery. But at end of day no diet be any good without fitness

short sprints over a duration of 20mins (interval training ) will lose more weight than a slow run over 30mins ....after exercise a high carb based diet is the best to add recovery , same with dogs .....exercise and diet go hand in hand ,one without the other is no good

Short bursts your using mostly carbs so i wouldnt recommend that for loosing weight and as for a high carb diet for after training I have to disagree yes they are important to recover stores but protein is number 1 to help rebuild the damaged muscle and recove

yes you need protein but without carbs after exercise its as good as tits on a fish...

Exactly the protein will be pretty much wasted if you dont replenish glycogen stores. Its absolutely imperative.

i think thats in humans rather than in dogs(i.e dogs are much more efficient at burning fat)-as far as i know excercise physiologists did experiments in which they starved dogs and ran them on treadmills-no effect on performance-Though id say they were running them at way below sighthound type speeds..

There are loads of studies done and I am well aware of most of them. And their idea of starving and ours is way different. And yes dogs are more efficient at burning fat especially in a pet which is what most of the studies revolve around but a dog that is raced/sprinted whether it be on a fox or a hare is gonna need carbs no matter what.

Google it if you like: there are loads of articles on how dogs use fat as their primary energy source. I first learned this when I was working in the pet food trade back in the 90s: went on a nutrition course. Dogs aren't like humans in the way they use carbs and fat. Fact is that dogs will survive on just about anything: high carb diet, high protein no carbs, etc etc. Which is why an average diet, one type 'fits all' is used by so many people as most dogs can do quite well on a not completely appropriate diet. It's only when you are feeding for peak performance especially in endurance competitions that dogs need very specific types of food. Look at the Iditarod runners. For many years those dogs were running on fatty fish, dried.

Here's an interesting article I found a couple of years ago: http://nutrition.highwire.org/content/128/12/2686S.full

When they speak of distance dogs here they refer to Beagles, which are running for miles and miles, compared to a coursing dog that may well run a couple of miles or more per course, but is then rested, or should be, for half an hour or so before running again. I guess I can see where Dan is coming from when he says that sighthound are all sprinting, and I guess they are, when compared with a Beagle, but the fact that Greyhounds and Salukis have different nutritional requirements remains true.

I am well aware that dogs use fat better than humans but in your second sentence you pretty much nailed it. When you were in the "pet food trade".

i think thats in humans rather than in dogs(i.e dogs are much more efficient at burning fat)-as far as i know excercise physiologists did experiments in which they starved dogs and ran them on treadmills-no effect on performance-Though id say they were running them at way below sighthound type speeds..

There are loads of studies done and I am well aware of most of them. And their idea of starving and ours is way different. And yes dogs are more efficient at burning fat especially in a pet which is what most of the studies revolve around but a dog that is raced/sprinted whether it be on a fox or a hare is gonna need carbs no matter what.

So Dan how do you feed your dogs please ? give me a clue ?

Google it if you like: there are loads of articles on how dogs use fat as their primary energy source. I first learned this when I was working in the pet food trade back in the 90s: went on a nutrition course. Dogs aren't like humans in the way they use carbs and fat. Fact is that dogs will survive on just about anything: high carb diet, high protein no carbs, etc etc. Which is why an average diet, one type 'fits all' is used by so many people as most dogs can do quite well on a not completely appropriate diet. It's only when you are feeding for peak performance especially in endurance competitions that dogs need very specific types of food. Look at the Iditarod runners. For many years those dogs were running on fatty fish, dried.

Here's an interesting article I found a couple of years ago: http://nutrition.highwire.org/content/128/12/2686S.full

When they speak of distance dogs here they refer to Beagles, which are running for miles and miles, compared to a coursing dog that may well run a couple of miles or more per course, but is then rested, or should be, for half an hour or so before running again. I guess I can see where Dan is coming from when he says that sighthound are all sprinting, and I guess they are, when compared with a Beagle, but the fact that Greyhounds and Salukis have different nutritional requirements remains true.

I am well aware that dogs use fat better than humans but in your second sentence you pretty much nailed it. When you were in the "pet food trade".

Dan: I've tried to take your comments in good humour, but you still have to keep bitching away at me spitefully. Why? The fact that I worked in the pet food trade doesn't actually mean that I don't work my dogs, have studied the best ways to keep them fit and running for nearly 30 years. I never stop trying to learn more about how to feed them, so instead of sniping away at me, why don't you explain how your feed your dogs, the reasons for doing so, and the results you expect from feeding certain types of nutrients at certain times; such as before and after hard work.

I wild wolf is unlikely to get carbs,,, apart from the stomach of a herbivore,,, even then I dowt they eat that much , of it,,, they will rely on fat as energy,, and protien wich can be turned in to energy,,, also Remember our running dogs proberbly doo more than a wild wolf ,,, yes they might run for a few miles to kill a big beast,,, but then hang around the carcas for a few days befor catching somthing else..

There not going up the dales banging rabbit after rabbit over,,, or running 4-5 hares in a day ect ect

Them wolves dont eat Redmills or Gain complete . . . This is whats puzzling to me. . . Should we use both RAW and complete...this seems the way most are doing it.

I havnt given my pup any complete so far from 8 weeks old...its been totally RAW and she,s looking well on it..But I also worry that im not doing her the best I possibly can by not giving her some Complete too...?

I've been looking upon Minced chicken carcass as the complete (kibble) part of the diet and then adding beef/lamb/rabbit/chicken livers / fish and lots of lamb/mutton fat plus assorted raw veggies

I've been mixing approx 50% chicken carcass to 40% red meat etc etc and rest the veg..The pup gets extra lamb/mutton trims and offcuts..plus a few tins of tomatoes every now and then go in the mix.

Its all down to an old argument with one of my very old coursing pals from the good old days... He says no coursing dog will last the day on a RAW/BARF diet.

I think he,s wrong. :whistling:

never really fed my dogs on raw alone. but i am aware that my dogs dont appear to have the same stamina on dry food alone. so i feed both dry and meat to my dogs.

Dan: I've tried to take your comments in good humour, but you still have to keep bitching away at me spitefully. Why? The fact that I worked in the pet food trade doesn't actually mean that I don't work my dogs, have studied the best ways to keep them fit and running for nearly 30 years. I never stop trying to learn more about how to feed them, so instead of sniping away at me, why don't you explain how your feed your dogs, the reasons for doing so, and the results you expect from feeding certain types of nutrients at certain times; such as before and after hard work.

HAHA! Stop it crazy. I aint bitchin at you.

The ones that can be fed on a self feeder I keep one in front of them at all times. When they run out I hope that I seen that they were out and usually I can cuz they tip the sumbitchin thing over. The fat asses I cant do that with so I hate them but if they are good they get to stay but I have to feed them every day and that sux. I keep fresh water in front of them usually two times a day and we run the ever livin hell out of them. I try to toss them some chicken leg quarters or what not when I have them but I could care less either way. I dont worry too much about nothin. The good ones thrive and the other ones dont make the team. Come see them run and catch though, I promise any of you that you will not be disappointed even in the slightest.

Oh and obviously none of them can be kept on a self feeder in the summer months. They will get fat on you for sure then but in the winter when they are sore and tired 7 days a week most of them cant hardly eat enough to stay kept up. Its a very fine line with dogs that are good enough to be on a self feeder and those that literally just wont eat enough to stay up the whole winter. Some are just too picky to make it.

Oh and obviously none of them can be kept on a self feeder in the summer months. They will get fat on you for sure then but in the winter when they are sore and tired 7 days a week most of them cant hardly eat enough to stay kept up. Its a very fine line with dogs that are good enough to be on a self feeder and those that literally just wont eat enough to stay up the whole winter. Some are just too picky to make it.

So you feed them mostly on some form of complete kibble type diet ? in a feeder or not.

Brown bread pasta redmills tribe beef cod liver oil v tablets fish whole rabbit and hare no guts all this but just mix it about

All of the above except i use gain,Garlic,milk eggs, scraps,fat ,tins of oily fish,what evers around,good varied diet.Easy as that really,saves reading vets journals and worrying about carbs and shit..;)

Do many lads give a starve day once a week?

Iv always fed a Top End Greyhound Complete meal Redmills Racer/Exel ( before it seemed to go off the boil ie loose stools )

Now i swap and change between Gain 28% and Gain Record Breaker or mix the 2

Pups either Gain Puppy and Sapling or Australian Puppy and Sapling

Then Mix with Quality Beef/Horsemeat/Chicken/Turkey/Veg/Pasta/Rice

and supplement with White E' Bonemeal'That Bit Xtra' Super Solvtax Horse Oil or Curragh Oil

Done Lurchers and Greyhounds the same way and all Well Enough on it.

Give them a marrow bone once in a while if in Hard hard work a touch of b12 once per month and thats about it.

Dufalite if they have had a hard race' day or night once in a blue moon.

:thumbs: They have changed the formula on red mills racer now and it seems better, i feed this along with what you have mentioned above works good for me.

Formular One Complete Biscut aint bad if your looking for a cheaper option than Gain ect

24% @ around 10-11 per 15kg bag and 28% @ around 11-12 quid a bag.

Mix it with some Quality meat and veg ect and they will do alright.

Seen that biscut, heard its decent enough. Thanks.