Top Line Coursing Dog Men..question About Dog Diets.

Guest vin

Hello all,

Sorry this argument has been done a few times I'm sure.

Question is..What do you chaps with these 5k Fen dogs and pups costing £1500.00 feed them on..?

Is it BARF or Complete ? or Both ?

I'm in the middle of an old argument with one of my old Coursing pals about diet and running dogs etc etc.

He says that he ran one of his best ever dogs on Redmills racer with a bit of minced meat,but the dog ran poorly on anything else including complete Barf diet.

He keeps the same rules of diet now with his champion field trial spaniels etc etc and he says that his dog that can outwork most other dogs all day long would not be able to do the same on a Barf diet.

The lad really does know his stuff on dogs but i personally think that he,s wrong. . .I think the dog or any dog would do better on a complete Raw/Barf diet and he just didnt know how to feed the correct Raw diet to get the best out of his dogs at the time.

He goes on and on about the old boys from across the pond who fed there dogs serlion steak and says he still beat them with his dogs.. I said he would have done even better if he fed them what nature intended all round..meaning RAW.

So please chaps without any arguments what do you really feed a champion ?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Chappie as a base meal,i always like to feed tilda wild rice with gree thai curry paste,a tin of amoy coconut milk for added fat and the night before coursing 3 bags of prawn crackers at 12 midnight..

You can feed a dog on fillet steak or Orijen which imo is the best complete dog meal available,[and so it should be at over £60 for 13kg], but if the dog is not getting the required amount of regula

I'm not a top coursing man , but in my experience, fitness conditioning is as, if not more important than the diet. Diet alone won't get and keep a dog running. Many years ago, my OH had a mongrelly

I'm not a top coursing man :laugh::tongue2: , but in my experience, fitness conditioning is as, if not more important than the diet. Diet alone won't get and keep a dog running. Many years ago, my OH had a mongrelly Collie lurcher that he fed, without knowing any better, a diet of Vitalin (cheap muesli food) with a bit of tripe. He biked everywhere with the dog: biked it several miles to go ferreting, there and back, then biked it again to get where he was going lamping at least 3 times a week. Most Sundays it would run a few hares as well, and although it wasn't a top notch coursing dog it caught quite a few, purely because it was super fit, and obviously as tough as old boots.

However, I would agree that a diet consisting only of meat and bone would not do a coursing dog much good. I found that my Saluki types needed a fair bit of carbohydrates to run at their best. Distance runners are more likely to need carbs than sprinters, who have a different type of muscle to distance runners. Carbs are slow release energy, unlike fat, which is quick release energy food. Some of the best coursing dogs I've seen running were fed about 50% meat/bone etc and 50% carbs and fat. Carbs coming in the form of pasta, bread or a low protein complete food.

• Like 6

I'm not a top coursing man :laugh::tongue2: , but in my experience, fitness conditioning is as, if not more important than the diet. Diet alone won't get and keep a dog running. Many years ago, my OH had a mongrelly Collie lurcher that he fed, without knowing any better, a diet of Vitalin (cheap muesli food) with a bit of tripe. He biked everywhere with the dog: biked it several miles to go ferreting, there and back, then biked it again to get where he was going lamping at least 3 times a week. Most Sundays it would run a few hares as well, and although it wasn't a top notch coursing dog it caught quite a few, purely because it was super fit, and obviously as tough as old boots.

However, I would agree that a diet consisting only of meat and bone would not do a coursing dog much good. I found that my Saluki types needed a fair bit of carbohydrates to run at their best. Distance runners are more likely to need carbs than sprinters, who have a different type of muscle to distance runners. Carbs are slow release energy, unlike fat, which is quick release energy food. Some of the best coursing dogs I've seen running were fed about 50% meat/bone etc and 50% carbs and fat. Carbs coming in the form of pasta, bread or a low protein complete food.

You can feed a dog on fillet steak or Orijen which imo is the best complete dog meal available,[and so it should be at over £60 for 13kg], but if the dog is not getting the required amount of regular and systematic work , it will never fulfill its potential.

A fit dog fed on table scraps and a budget meal wil do better than an unfit one fed on the aforementioned,imo.

• Like 7

Agree with skycat, coursing dogs need a 50/50 diet o carbs and protein, brown rice, wholemeal bread and pasta mixed with meat or fish is what I've fed them for long enough and along with plenty of work to keep them fit works fine for me, also like to give them a brekfast during the season consisting of wholemeal porridge and couple times a week add egg whites, not saying this is the best of diets but any dog I've had has done well enough for me on this

Distance runners are more likely to need carbs than sprinters, who have a different type of muscle to distance runners. Carbs are slow release energy, unlike fat, which is quick release energy food.

I cant decide if Im more shocked that you actually wrote this or that there are people on here dense enough that said they liked it. I think you might wanna go back and take nutrition 101 all over again doll. Or.... do like I tell all the ladies and get back in the kitchen and fetch us up some biscuits. HAHA!

Edit to say that the difference in speed/endurance in a coursing dog versus a lamping dog aint enough to even talk about the difference in diets. They are both sprinters for arguements sake. Facts are any dog that is ran on game needs quite a bit of carbs in them or else they are gonna fail. Cant wait for the wheat boys to jump on this one. HAHA!

Edited by Dan Edwards
  • Like 1

Distance runners are more likely to need carbs than sprinters, who have a different type of muscle to distance runners. Carbs are slow release energy, unlike fat, which is quick release energy food.

I cant decide if Im more shocked that you actually wrote this or that there are people on here dense enough that said they liked it. I think you might wanna go back and take nutrition 101 all over again doll. Or.... do like I tell all the ladies and get back in the kitchen and fetch us up some biscuits. HAHA!

Edit to say that the difference in speed/endurance in a coursing dog versus a lamping dog aint enough to even talk about the difference in diets. They are both sprinters for arguements sake. Facts are any dog that is ran on game needs quite a bit of carbs in them or else they are gonna fail. Cant wait for the wheat boys to jump on this one. HAHA!

Both sprinters? Wind your neck in. I know loads of dogs that run on minimal carbs and do fine.

fat is a slow realese energie source, skcat,,,sugars are quik release, in fact fat is sloer than complex carbs

Way slower and really cant be released hardly at all once heart rate is increased to a certain point. Its a resting energy release for the most part.

Both sprinters? Wind your neck in. I know loads of dogs that run on minimal carbs and do fine.

Im only gonna have to assume that your definition of fine must not have a damn thing to do with one another cuz you are wrong. Running dogs are gonna have to have some sorta carb source to be ran over and over again. Its a fact not an opinion.

• Like 1

fat is a slow realese energie source, skcat,,,sugars are quik release, in fact fat is sloer than complex carbs

Way slower and really cant be released hardly at all once heart rate is increased to a certain point. Its a resting energy release for the most part.

In the human body fat is only used as a source of energy when carb sources are depleted. That's why long slow running over 30 minute is recommended in humans for losing weight.

In dogs IMO the days leading to a hunt should be carb based so that the dog can store energy sources then when finished the hunt a high protein feed for recovery. But at end of day no diet be any good without fitness