True Bushing Terriers Few And Far Between

csd_88

I'm not a fan of terriers bushing ! All the terriers I have seen are slow, mute and a pain in the arse when they sink, not only that bit if you have a few out and carnt keep an eye on everyone you got a good chance of loosing one to ground or even multiple dogs going to ground.

Anyway that's how I find it and have seen a few accidents happening using pure terriers. But I know there's the exceptions out there my mate has a lakey russel type bitch that smashed cover and sings like mad when she's onto something, she's not gone to ground as she's never been shown And a little bit big for fox earths. Doe's anyone else run a terrier on with these qualitys and how they bred? I couldn't imagine there being to many about

Edited by csd_88
  • Like 1

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Anyone that says terriers are bad cover dogs obviously hasn't been out with enough terriers.

My new bushing terrier comes from the 9th generation of working bred terriers who work boar, badger and fox from a nice breeder here on the continent. They work on boar as a pack. Very allround dogs i

I'd rather be out with one or two terriers than a spaniel they both have there good or bad points but a spaniels got more bad ones than the terrier for me a suck as 10000mph at everything which is pus

I agree with you mate.

Seen one, what I would call 'proper bushing terrier' that I can think of. . . . it was a black and tan russel type, bitch, worked cover well, sang like a canary, and would go to ground, but only really for a wee run through and play, wasn't interested in sticking.

• Like 1

you'd be surprised bud there are a few around me..

i know what your saying about them disappearing from time to time . my first terrier i ever had used to do it all the time. which was a nightmare on times.

needless to say the next terrier i had was a pup that i managed to mold in way that i wanted to work.

theres more than you think, but noy an ideal dog for bushing, imo if a terrier is a good busher it is a bad terrier....

How so mate, I must admit, i've met a couple that would bush charlie well. . . . . and worked well to ground. They pretty much were just obsessed with finding that one quarry, whatever the circumstance. :thumbs:

• Like 1

Agree with you in a way hot meat but they have there uses, anyone would be glad to own my mates she hits cover hard and fast and gets threw the tightest of cover and you know when somethings about as she screams her head of. She's caught a few charlies in cover and is game as fuk. don't think he'd ever cover her with a terrier tho and add to the gene pool but she'd produce some handy bushers put to a Beagle or something

i aint dissing a terrier for bushing im just giving my opinion, to me a bushing terrier needs to be able to be under control off a lead, the ajority of terriermen who keep terriers for there intended purpose would never let a dog off the lead unless he was in ful control of the situation, i own a terrier for bushing who uses her voice an does numerous other jobs, but she is deffo not a digging dog an is actually a failed digging dog. to me a terrier should be put in an dug out, however i like to get the most out of my dogs an if they show potential at a job other than the one i intended, then ill let the dog do the job. a proper terrier allowed off a lead to bush would in most cases find somewhere to drop in, an most of the terriers i have seen an rated at the bushing job just werent your average terrier in temp... just the thoughts i have on the matter

• Like 1

i aint dissing a terrier for bushing im just giving my opinion, to me a bushing terrier needs to be able to be under control off a lead, the ajority of terriermen who keep terriers for there intended purpose would never let a dog off the lead unless he was in ful control of the situation, i own a terrier for bushing who uses her voice an does numerous other jobs, but she is deffo not a digging dog an is actually a failed digging dog. to me a terrier should be put in an dug out, however i like to get the most out of my dogs an if they show potential at a job other than the one i intended, then ill let the dog do the job. a proper terrier allowed off a lead to bush would in most cases find somewhere to drop in, an most of the terriers i have seen an rated at the bushing job just werent your average terrier in temp... just the thoughts i have on the matter

Makes sense matey :thumbs:

worked terriers in a pack for years with the runners if brought on proper they work close in and do not drop in put time in to them and they do there job not hard really they all work to a whistle on recall time spent pays in the long run :thumbs:

• Like 1

My new bushing terrier comes from the 9th generation of working bred terriers who work boar, badger and fox from a nice breeder here on the continent. They work on boar as a pack. Very allround dogs in that particular line (digging, retrieving, bushing/mooching, tracking wounded deer/boar etc).

The pups dam and sire have each been used on 50 hunts last season both on boar, badger and fox.

When out for boar they now what they are after and do not drop in the first hole they come across. Not only down to the terrier but also down to the handler. A proper terrier should be worked on as much game as possible imho.

Maybe to digging terriermen this kind of allround use is below their standard, I rather like to get as much use from one dog as possible. And running for 20 miles behind a boar through a cornfield in summerheat is as much of a challenge as being below ground next to a fox.

Edited by Bossie
  • Like 5

I have a good russell bitch. She has a good pace at working cover, fantasic nose and has a good voice. The only downside she has is going to ground but this is because she was introduced to it. She is soft and will come out after half an hour or so.

I'm putting her in pup next year to keep one back and I'm trying to find a stud dog now so that I can see it work over the winter. I'm thinking of a cocker so that it reduces the urge to sink. I won't use another terrier because I think that there would be far too much chance that the pups would go to ground even if the sire was an out and out busher. It's not proving easy to find a dog that will match her pace of work, drive and nose though so if anyone can help then please pm me!

ATB

Sam

with terriers the urge to drop in is almost always there. and my best bushing dogs are the worst culprits. occupational hazard i say.

i used to be an obsessive earth hunter. and would travel hole to hole with terriers leashed. but now prefare to do a bit of everything with my terriers. i would probably be able to do well with spaniels or crossbreds, but i like terriers. so i take the rough with the smooth.

to answer the post i have one terrier that i find very usefull and does everything you say. but does drop in at every chance it gets.

and to be honest i wouldnt want it if it didnt it gives it another string to its bow :thumbs:

• Like 2