Micro/grey Ferret Problem!!!!!

Hi,had a problem with my micro/grey albino ferret jill the other evening.She's nearly 3 years old & had a litter of 5 kits 4 weeks ago.Everything has been going fine when the other evening she looked like she was playing in the saw dust like she does when I could see her rolling in distress when I got closer I could see she couldn't stand up & had lost the use totally of her front legs & her rear legs were weak.She had her front lip curled & was breathing really heavily.I bought her into my conservatory where the wife put her on a towel & I put warm water on the back of her neck & to drink thinking she might have heat stroke.She didn't improve & we were really getting more & more worried thinking I might loose her & the kits weren't weaned yet & needed her still. The misses started looking in the medical book & online for the symptoms then she asked me too get some food for her so I did & the misses started spoon feeding her the meat which to my surprise she ate. Things still weren't improving & I was thinking the worst when the misses called me & said 'look!' she was back to her feet walking around very wobbly but walking we bought the kits in in a cat box & put her back with her babies so not to cause them both any more distress. She was very tired let the kits feed & went to sleep.Expecting the worst in the morning I went into the conservatory to see her bouncing round the box like zeebedee on speed(back to usual). Just wondered if anyone has experienced this? I've put it down to a 1 off fit as she is fine now.Any thoughts anyone? Thanks

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

People fed bread and milk because they didn't know any better MILK IS BAD FOR FERRETS .... Ferrets are lactose intolerant and milk just scats straight through them ... Just look at the yellow squirts

Maybe with all that exotic breeding there's something missing in its diet like Friday night caviar .Mate there all the same a ferret and since you think yours is so wee you should of been pumping m

I have bred plenty of micros and they don't come on any slower than a a normal ferret kit FFS all they are is a small ferret nothing special .........

She has minced chicken & fish.Kits are just starting to weaned but with micro/grey's its too early for them to be fully weaned & my ferrets eat really good grub!

Isn't a grey ferret a silver?

Why are your ferrets any different to others to be weaned longer?

Not silver! Greyhound is the type.They do take a little longer to wean I don't no exactly why maybe there size as there small.

They're just ferrets mate, they maybe smaller but they still develop at the same speed, any pics of these greyhound ferts then?

Maybe with all that exotic breeding there's something missing in its diet like Friday night caviar :laugh: .Mate there all the same a ferret and since you think yours is so wee you should of been pumping meat into them from three weeks to give them the best start in life . Ive got a litter here that are on a full rabbit in the morning and a full one at night and theres no much coming out ,second year in the trot that jills had twelve and theres never been a problem with jill or kits

• Like 4

Surely this is a wind up ??? Thought she had heat stroke so put WARM water on her neck and to drink ... Micro greys taking langer to wean .... C'mon ..............

• Like 2

Aye, minced chicken and fish is ok. . . . . but I wouldn't feed it alone. Seen kits end up with bone problems etc, as well, with that kind of diet. I'd be looking at getting a good bit of flesh and bone into both the kits and the mother. Even without taken the kits off the jill now, they will quite happily pile into some fresh meat, and this will both give them a good start and also take some pressure off the jill. Sounds like she is struggling to support the litter,. . . . . possibly due to her size. Rearing a litter takes a fair bit out of a ferret.

As has been said - if it was sun stroke, you want to be cooling down the ferret, not warming it, so a cold, damp towel would have been better.

Also - no matter the size or strain of the ferret, the earlier they can be eating (of their own volition) flesh, the better a start they will have. It doesn't mean that the jill will stop feeding them. . . .

And finally - traditionally, the 'type' known or referred to as a greyhound ferret. . . . . . were not 'micro' or small, it was more to do with the long, lean body shape, with roached back, and quick hutning action. . . . . hence 'greyhound'.

Good luck with her :thumbs:

• Like 2