Patterdale Having Fits?

Does anyone have problems with patterdales having fits then being sick, my 4 year old bitch has had a few recently. She goes stiff then her legs go & head cranks over then usually vomits then 5 mins later she will come round & seems to have a blank expression & stares at ground then finds her feet again. Could it be epilepsy or something hereditary or due to being worked taking a knock? I was planning on getting a pup from her next year as she's a good worker but am thinking twice now if its in her genes. Anyone else experienced this?

That's not good mate I had a Stafford who started having them every few months he was PTS when the got regular it took him longer and longer to recover and I couldn't bear to see a proud dog piss and shit himself.

What's the vet said I tried the meds for mine but they still happened.

Edited by Westy76
  • Like 2

get to vets and get em to check the dog thoroughly even ask for a x ray had a dog not a patt who started doing this had a massive cancer tumour died not long after not scare mongering just they r not always correct at the vets and this can

be annoying.

I lost a pat dog a few month back , exactly the same as your bitch , took a real big fit out one day whilst out checking earths , then he took a massive fit , carried him to the van , still fitting , drove all the way home , still fitting , by now a hour had past , then phoned the vets , turned around and the dog was dead , shame cos he was a decent dog

Cousin was out with his patterdale and thought he lost him turned out he had , had a fit in rushes , found him but they just got worse and he was pts in the end

Thanks for all the replys. I spoke to the guy who bred her from & he told me her brother from a previous litter same breeding died around Christmas time due to having fits so looks like it is heriditary & not much I can do, I'm gonna take her vets to get a blood test to rule out anything else but it it does seem to be in the breeding so will see how things go but she won't be working next season, shame as she is a little grafter & was hoping to get a pup from her next year to bring on but won't be breeding from her now

I got a patterdale hu does the exact same as yours but only doesnt vomit ive had him about 18 months hes only 3 years old and had 6 or 7 fits but they only last about ten minutes just waiting on a bloodtest to see what it is causing them. Best of luck with yours mate hope u get it sorted

One of mine was knocked down when he was 3. Started getting fits periodically and also when he got a belt of electric wire or the like. You'd know one of the periodic ones was coming - he'd be staring into space a lot for a few weeks before hand.

You can medicate if they have epilepsy and fit regular - Epinatun (sp?) - be aware of the side effects though.

I have a diazepam capsule handy all the time - I think it's the same one they use for children (got it from the vet though) - just shove it up the ass and squeeze when the dog is having a fit.

I was out in the woods on the bike years ago and stopped chatting with a woman out walking her dogs. Hippy chick ;) but sound. Used to own a health supplement shop. Now I would regard a lot of the shit you see in that type of shop as utter quackery but she really seemed to know her stuff. Anyway she ended up getting me Arnica CM for the dog with the fits - can't remember the dose but only gave him a few at most - he hasn't had a periodic fit since - 12 now. Probably coincidental I know.

Have a look in the dogs eyes and see if there is any damage in the pupil - might show you if it had a previous, serious head injury.

Goes without saying that you shouldn't try anything without running it by the vet first.

My patterdale does this without the vomiting or what appears to be like yours, hers is not a fit its a scotty cramp as diagnosed by the vet, when she goes out and gets over excited she goes into what appears to be like a fit. However once you calm her down she is fine. This is hereditary but she can live with it but you would never breed from her. I hope yours is not a fit but it does sound like it. Hope it all works out in the end for you.