Airedale Terrier

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Am I really the only person that works an Airedale? I got mine from a line of imported dogs: working stock from the USA. Can't fault her: drive, nose, toughness, temperament second to none: works alon

A pure bred KC reg English Airedale will usually sell for around £800 or £900.   Most of the working dog people who got a Redline Airedale from Ian were gifted the dog. Like I said before, he wante

This is jet my bushing terrier     This is buddy Martins redline airedale

Posted Images

Cracking looking dog that skycat be nice if there was a few good working lines as everything I hear about working strain seem like great dogs turn their hand to anything intelligent with the terrier tenacity shame another once great breed ruined in this country by show people

What kind of money do they make???

A pure bred KC reg English Airedale will usually sell for around £800 or £900. :icon_eek:

Most of the working dog people who got a Redline Airedale from Ian were gifted the dog. Like I said before, he wanted to reinstate the working Airedale in its country of origin. It gladdens my heart to hear that there are a few people working them, no matter what job they do. Ian didn't want them to be solely used to breed lurchers.

If I bred a litter I would ask for a token £100, but more importantly I would be checking the potential owners: wouldn't want anyone who just wanted one out of curiosity for the hell of it, only to get rid if it didn't work out EXACTLY as they had dreamed. They are very easy to train providing you have the right mindset, and the ability to control their drive without being heavy handed when they are young, as they are surprisingly sensitive, though tough as old boots when working. They are super intelligent, always wanting to learn new stuff and play new games. Play is crucial to their proper development, together with lots of freedom. I don't know a single guy in the States that keeps their Airedales kennelled in small pens: most have very large areas (what they call back yards: usually an acre or two!) to mess around in, and they are sociable dogs, so don't do well if kept on their own for long periods of time.

Some people say they take a long time to mature, but bearing in mind that I only have experience of the one Airedale, I haven't found that to be the case, but they do remain playful all their lives. Dill is just as happy to fetch a ball out of the lake or on the playing fields as she is to hunt: what matters to her is doing SOMETHING that engages her drive: balls, rabbits, other game, as long as she is moving, running, thinking, she's happy.

There is no way I would let a pup go to a someone who wanted a dog to sit in a kennel 23/7 and run the guts out of it once a week. They truly are family dogs with an edge.

• Like 8

YES martin does own a sporting lucas 2.8 guy

The dog I mentioned is martins dog, like I said heard it second hand its a good dog, But if martin has told you first hand what the man says will be 100% and no bull

I have no doubt in my mind that dog will have come across work, and if it couldn't do its job he would have no worries saying so, martin has allways had the next best thing wether it be dogs guns or clothing

He will try it and give a honest opinion he is one of the best dog men in our area and has walked the walk

as a dogman I have alot of respect for him!

Cracking looking dog that skycat be nice if there was a few good working lines as everything I hear about working strain seem like great dogs turn their hand to anything intelligent with the terrier tenacity shame another once great breed ruined in this country by show people

How do you know they have been ruined unless you tried a kc,?

Someone who used to run Airedale rescue in the UK told me that she knew of a couple of KC dogs that were being used in the shooting field: as pickers up, I think. The sad fact is that virtually all show and pet Airedales in this country have had any instinct stifled: not what their owners want at all :cray: The few that I have met have been very lacking in anything resembling fire of any sort. I would love to hear of some KC Dales working, but have failed so far in my attempts ... but the Aussies use them so there must be a spark of the old instinct left in them somewhere: with proper encouragement it might burst into flames?

Personally I wouldn't risk using a KC dog over my bitch unless I had seen it out in the field actually working: too much of a risk to take with what would be the only litter I bred of pure Dales.

Or should I take that risk? What do you think? Certainly the overall conformation is better (IMO) than some of the types that turn up in the US working lines: straight stifles being one thing I'd be glad to see less of. But by how much would that brain power, thinking working instinct be dulled down? :hmm::hmm::hmm:

what was the Airedale like on fox or badger were they ever at any of the old trials? hows theyre gameness when the teeth bite back?

I'd say not ,even from what I've read in America lads question there gameness,they are used to hunt in packs holding things at bay,don't know if they would be stupid enough to stick there heads down a hole and get a mouthful of teeth twice, just my take though.

Someone who used to run Airedale rescue in the UK told me that she knew of a couple of KC dogs that were being used in the shooting field: as pickers up, I think. The sad fact is that virtually all show and pet Airedales in this country have had any instinct stifled: not what their owners want at all :cray: The few that I have met have been very lacking in anything resembling fire of any sort. I would love to hear of some KC Dales working, but have failed so far in my attempts ... but the Aussies use them so there must be a spark of the old instinct left in them somewhere: with proper encouragement it might burst into flames?

Personally I wouldn't risk using a KC dog over my bitch unless I had seen it out in the field actually working: too much of a risk to take with what would be the only litter I bred of pure Dales.

Or should I take that risk? What do you think? Certainly the overall conformation is better (IMO) than some of the types that turn up in the US working lines: straight stifles being one thing I'd be glad to see less of. But by how much would that brain power, thinking working instinct be dulled down? :hmm::hmm::hmm:

As you know i have a half bred from kc dog,And shes still as slow as a wet week.

I have a love hate relationship with her really,I would take her out hunting with any redline and even fox hound and her nose drive would match them,Thats what she lives for and to be honest my walks would be a lot duller and i wouldnt see half as much as i do without her.I go up the mountains with her a lot and you can watch her hunt out of sight and come back into sight from a totally differant direction ,come back a pat a roll and gone again,no matter how far you walk she will keep going.

When you think of a terrier you think of a dog that will run into anything and ask questions later,but found mine way to clever for that and will only take fox when she can get a neck hold,she wont get bit(big fault in my eyes).But there again plenty of times just been a walk in 1000+ acre forestrys and shes found them and hunted them to catch them in first place. :hmm:

Even when she has neck holds she would leave it as soon as jobs done, quick roll and gone again,Its the hunt she lives for........

If i had to explain her working style i would say imagine a fox hound x collie,and forget the terrier bit.

In short i would say the kc ones still have the nose stamina and brains they just dont get to use it,but id still use the redline. :laugh:

All above from trips to ireland :bye:

• Like 1

What kind of money do they make???

A pure bred KC reg English Airedale will usually sell for around £800 or £900. :icon_eek:

Most of the working dog people who got a Redline Airedale from Ian were gifted the dog. Like I said before, he wanted to reinstate the working Airedale in its country of origin. It gladdens my heart to hear that there are a few people working them, no matter what job they do. Ian didn't want them to be solely used to breed lurchers.

If I bred a litter I would ask for a token £100, but more importantly I would be checking the potential owners: wouldn't want anyone who just wanted one out of curiosity for the hell of it, only to get rid if it didn't work out EXACTLY as they had dreamed. They are very easy to train providing you have the right mindset, and the ability to control their drive without being heavy handed when they are young, as they are surprisingly sensitive, though tough as old boots when working. They are super intelligent, always wanting to learn new stuff and play new games. Play is crucial to their proper development, together with lots of freedom. I don't know a single guy in the States that keeps their Airedales kennelled in small pens: most have very large areas (what they call back yards: usually an acre or two!) to mess around in, and they are sociable dogs, so don't do well if kept on their own for long periods of time.

Some people say they take a long time to mature, but bearing in mind that I only have experience of the one Airedale, I haven't found that to be the case, but they do remain playful all their lives. Dill is just as happy to fetch a ball out of the lake or on the playing fields as she is to hunt: what matters to her is doing SOMETHING that engages her drive: balls, rabbits, other game, as long as she is moving, running, thinking, she's happy.

There is no way I would let a pup go to a someone who wanted a dog to sit in a kennel 23/7 and run the guts out of it once a week. They truly are family dogs with an edge.

Its people who think like this, that makes this forum,

As you know i have a half bred from kc dog,And shes still as slow as a wet week.

I have a love hate relationship with her really,I would take her out hunting with any redline and even fox hound and her nose drive would match them,Thats what she lives for and to be honest my walks would be a lot duller and i wouldnt see half as much as i do without her.I go up the mountains with her a lot and you can watch her hunt out of sight and come back into sight from a totally differant direction ,come back a pat a roll and gone again,no matter how far you walk she will keep going.

When you think of a terrier you think of a dog that will run into anything and ask questions later,but found mine way to clever for that and will only take fox when she can get a neck hold,she wont get bit(big fault in my eyes).But there again plenty of times just been a walk in 1000+ acre forestrys and shes found them and hunted them to catch them in first place. :hmm:

Even when she has neck holds she would leave it as soon as jobs done, quick roll and gone again,Its the hunt she lives for........

If i had to explain her working style i would say imagine a fox hound x collie,and forget the terrier bit.

In short i would say the kc ones still have the nose stamina and brains they just dont get to use it,but id still use the redline. :laugh:

All above from trips to ireland :bye:

Interesting that: mine is decidedly different with her attitude towards fox, bearing in mind that she has only come into contact with them accidently of course, due to the law, but the first one she got on bit her on the snout, and from then on it was terminate the bugger as fast as possible, and make sure it was dead before leaving it, but now she's even started retrieving them to me if she's found them out of sight in deep cover: Look what I got! Airedales thrive on praise.