Gwp's Cross Labs

I have a labradoodle that will pluck and oven ready a shot bird but a pricked bird will be given a sling and painkillers until it is better. Helluva dog!!

Must be the poodle in it........... :angel:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have a GWP x lab and she is my best dog. great nose, hunts, points, retrieves , endless energy and kills vermin. as a keeper she is everything i need. Im not interested in a dog to show off sending

I have a labradoodle that will pluck and oven ready a shot bird but a pricked bird will be given a sling and painkillers until it is better. Helluva dog!!

had this coversation with a fella who has kept german pointers along time and he says that a even a deceent german pointer coming on a pricked bird left behind by someone else will not point it but go

havn't read all post but gist is can a dog scent wounded birds I was advised that when training retrieves with my spaniels before throwing dummies fire blank starter into dummie bag to scent up the dummies with the smell of gunpowder have always done this so can't compare with not doing it.JUST adding to the subject for discussion.

havn't read all post but gist is can a dog scent wounded birds I was advised that when training retrieves with my spaniels before throwing dummies fire blank starter into dummie bag to scent up the dummies with the smell of gunpowder have always done this so can't compare with not doing it.JUST adding to the subject for discussion.

Just to clear up i'm not saying that a dog cant scent a wounded bird...of course it can. Especially if that bird is dropping bits of blood along the way it makes things alot easier. What i'm saying is i have difficulty in believeing that dog that gives up on a runner has done it because its realised its not the hit bird its looking for. I'd have said the dog just gave up.... :thumbs:

I have a GWP x lab and she is my best dog. great nose, hunts, points, retrieves , endless energy and kills vermin. as a keeper she is everything i need. Im not interested in a dog to show off sending it back 600 yards or anything stupid. I just need a dog that will work. its got the instincts of a pointer with out the skittishness and biddable like a lab.

100_1383.jpg

• Like 9

Just to clear up i'm not saying that a dog cant scent a wounded bird...of course it can. Especially if that bird is dropping bits of blood along the way it makes things alot easier. What i'm saying is i have difficulty in believeing that dog that gives up on a runner has done it because its realised its not the hit bird its looking for. I'd have said the dog just gave up.... :thumbs:

understood

Interesting thread.

I am just training my first lab so I am pretty inexperienced but watching her work I would say the reason if she gave up on a runner wouldn,t be , she knew it wasn't pricked . Surely it's more likely the pricked bird is given off huge amounts of scent that is increasing as it is wounded and bleeding and adrenalin are increasing where as a runner scent could be becoming fainter and fainter . So it's got to be the strength of scent that influences the dog . After all we must be working the dog in areas where birds have been living for months where stale scent must be thick on he air.

But I am new to the gundog game so I maybe wrong.

Interesting thread.

I am just training my first lab so I am pretty inexperienced but watching her work I would say the reason if she gave up on a runner wouldn,t be , she knew it wasn't pricked . Surely it's more likely the pricked bird is given off huge amounts of scent that is increasing as it is wounded and bleeding and adrenalin are increasing where as a runner scent could be becoming fainter and fainter . So it's got to be the strength of scent that influences the dog . After all we must be working the dog in areas where birds have been living for months where stale scent must be thick on he air.

But I am new to the gundog game so I maybe wrong.

Ok scenario here......your standing at a drive, a cock bird falls 150 yards behind you in a large clump of bushes. You know it's a runner so you send the dog. Dog gets too bush and is working it when a cock bird breaks out to the right and runs to the nearest wood. The Keeper sees it but your dog refuses to take the line and you don't pick the bird. So do you think the keeper would be happy with you saying "couldn't have been that cock bird as my dog knows the difference between a pricked bird and a healthy bird!!".....

"Oh does it..... Must be a good dog that. Thanks for coming today, heres your wages and Don't come back".... Lol

Hi labtastic

If you read my post I am agreeing with you.

In the scenario your describing and the dog failed to find in the bush I would get over and work her through it all ways and if still nothing get her on the line of the runner as quick as possible hopefully showing the keeper I was thoroughly trying to find the bird. There is no way I would start speculating on which bird it was and how clever I thought the dog was.

I am mostly in the beating line so often only get the chance to help the pickers up when they are still looking for difficult birds at end of drives and as I have not seen the birds go down really just put her in to an area and try and let her work it out. But from what I have seen this ain't a bad thing as some folk keep interfering and giving commands and whistles to their dogs to where they think the bird is rather than letting the dog work it out quietly .

But I tend not to say much just listen and try and learn

Cheers

green shank

• Like 1

Ok right mate I re read you post again and see what your saying.... Got a 'was' and 'wasn't' mixed up.... Lol

Not really directed at you, it's just my observation on picking up over the last few years. I agree with your last post though. I've mentioned plenty times that picking up dogs are much different to trialling dogs. Both excel in what they are trained too do..:-)

I have a GWP x lab and she is my best dog. great nose, hunts, points, retrieves , endless energy and kills vermin. as a keeper she is everything i need. Im not interested in a dog to show off sending it back 600 yards or anything stupid. I just need a dog that will work. its got the instincts of a pointer with out the skittishness and biddable like a lab.

100_1383.jpg

Why is it stupid to send a dog 600 yards,so you would walk the 600 yards ?." Me not stupid Lone Ranger " me train retriever to its strengths " So why have a dog and bark yourself !

We have a moral duty to try and pick all wounded game on our estate..

Stick in

Tiercel,

Your first point is valid,myself can't understand why some one would want to cross s gundog breed,each has their own place..

As for your second point.I wouldn't train nor expect a Lab to quarter and point nor would I expect a pointer to retrieve a runner 600yrds away over wire fences and burns...

Why? Does the title HPR not give you a clue as to what the dogs in the right hands can do?

TC

Like i said each breed to their own specialty,i`ve only seen 2 HPR breeds actually used in the picking up mode.And while we are on the subject of picking up..there are 2 categories of picking up, hoovers and pickers up for long distance birds that have flown on !" Each picker up plays a very important part on the shoot day of which the shoot could not function efficiently without the two working together "..

But reading,and as you seem to be an exponent of the HPR breed could you answer me this question :" In the right hands " does the HPR dog know the difference between wounded game and game just sitting tight..As i have little experience of the breed,i was just asking your advice.

Thanks...

I can only speak of the dogs I have owned. In my opinion the one I used for picking up did know the difference between fresh birds and a pricked runner, funnily enough he would not point when he was in retrieving mode so to speak and seemed to focus on the retrieve. I had never thought about it till I read your question. Sadly I only had one season picking up before I lost him.

About the only thing he was rubbish at was beating, he could not get used to working at close quarters and kept on wanting to range further. That said one drive he had and that was enough for me. You are right I am a HPR fan or rather a GWP fan one of my regrets is that I did not discover the delights of them earlier in life. They are not for everyone you have to be able to trust the dog when they run big. I have a mate in Canada who hunts prairie grouse on horseback with two GWP working up to half a mile away from them.

People who have the need to be in total control of their dogs would have a heart attack watching the way the GWP work, When I started training him it was a total shock and took me a while to get my head around the fact that the dog did know better than me.

In hunting mode they very rarely ground scent prefering to air scent, although they will sometime ground scent and change to air scent when they get downwind of the target. If I am honest and this is just my opinion a lot of dog handlers could do with a few days out with a compotent HPR handler, they would learn a lot on the use of the wind to the dogs advantage.

TC

The other dog was no where near as good as a retriever as the first one I had. His strength was hunting and pointing.

Nice looking dog Bobba-fett, the reason I want a GWPxlab is I believe GWP's can be headstrong, so by crossing with a lab will improve biddability and retrieving capabilities. Just my thoughts and bear in mind this will be a second generation cross between two first cross parents, not that this would make much difference...would it?

Tiercel,

Your first point is valid,myself can't understand why some one would want to cross s gundog breed,each has their own place..

As for your second point.I wouldn't train nor expect a Lab to quarter and point nor would I expect a pointer to retrieve a runner 600yrds away over wire fences and burns...

Why? Does the title HPR not give you a clue as to what the dogs in the right hands can do?

TC

Like i said each breed to their own specialty,i`ve only seen 2 HPR breeds actually used in the picking up mode.And while we are on the subject of picking up..there are 2 categories of picking up, hoovers and pickers up for long distance birds that have flown on !" Each picker up plays a very important part on the shoot day of which the shoot could not function efficiently without the two working together "..

But reading,and as you seem to be an exponent of the HPR breed could you answer me this question :" In the right hands " does the HPR dog know the difference between wounded game and game just sitting tight..As i have little experience of the breed,i was just asking your advice.

Thanks...

I can only speak of the dogs I have owned. In my opinion the one I used for picking up did know the difference between fresh birds and a pricked runner, funnily enough he would not point when he was in retrieving mode so to speak and seemed to focus on the retrieve. I had never thought about it till I read your question. Sadly I only had one season picking up before I lost him.

About the only thing he was rubbish at was beating, he could not get used to working at close quarters and kept on wanting to range further. That said one drive he had and that was enough for me. You are right I am a HPR fan or rather a GWP fan one of my regrets is that I did not discover the delights of them earlier in life. They are not for everyone you have to be able to trust the dog when they run big. I have a mate in Canada who hunts prairie grouse on horseback with two GWP working up to half a mile away from them.

People who have the need to be in total control of their dogs would have a heart attack watching the way the GWP work, When I started training him it was a total shock and took me a while to get my head around the fact that the dog did know better than me.

In hunting mode they very rarely ground scent prefering to air scent, although they will sometime ground scent and change to air scent when they get downwind of the target. If I am honest and this is just my opinion a lot of dog handlers could do with a few days out with a compotent HPR handler, they would learn a lot on the use of the wind to the dogs advantage.

TC

The other dog was no where near as good as a retriever as the first one I had. His strength was hunting and pointing.

Cheers for your reply,

But that's posed me another question "Hunt mode" do you call hunt mode when the dog has seen the bird fall ?.So to say when you send the dog no matter what distance it will pick the wounded bird only or same on a blind retrieve even if a healthy bird is sitting tight near to the area of the wounded bird it will leave that and hunt for the wounded bird..

Ta

Cheers for your reply,

But that's posed me another question "Hunt mode" do you call hunt mode when the dog has seen the bird fall ?.So to say when you send the dog no matter what distance it will pick the wounded bird only or same on a blind retrieve even if a healthy bird is sitting tight near to the area of the wounded bird it will leave that and hunt for the wounded bird..

Ta

Again I am only speaking for myself, what I seen and how my dog behaved. If I sent him on a retrieve, be it blind where I would cast him down wind and trust his nose to find the bird. Or a seen runner he would, looking back, ignore all other types of game being totaly focused on his retrieve. To be honest from a pup he was nuts about retrieving just lived for it.

If I wanted him to hunt it would be 'get on,' and he would search for game. Once I said 'go back' he would just go into retrieving mode and ignore other scents

There is a winged pigeon in a gutter under the sloping tree I have cast him down wind and he has just wionded the bird and is heading towards the scent.

2005_1106pigeons0009.jpg

Mission accomplished.

2005_1106pigeons0011.jpg

TC

Edited by tiercel