Dawlish Warren

The back beach ( into the estuary) and along the spit at the far end of the beach can be decent for bass, you'll need peeler or live eels you can get a water taxi accross to Exmouth docks for your eels ( they sell them somewhere near the back beach too but I'm not sure where) or in teingmouth, look up Wrigglers ( I'll try and get you a number if you struggle), it's only a fiver for around 40 eels.. You'll need fairly light gear for the eel fishing just use them free lined with only a swivel on the mainline/ trace connection or if it's really pulling a small drilled bullet to bounce it along.. There's also flounder in the Estuary..

You can fish off the boulders on the warren for mackerel, garfish odd bass and below the red rock on the small jetty every year there is decent bass caught off there ( best at night on the incoming tide, peeler crab is best of if you want to sit it out for a beast fish whole squid or mackerel flapper.

From there your onto Dawlish beach, odd decent bass, and the town breakwater get busy with mackerel bashers in the summer, fish the incoming tide and it's best on an evening tide..you've also got the harbour pier at the far end of Dawlish, again mackerel and Gar and the odd pollack..

Up the estuary can be very good ( going back towards Starcross, about 1and half miles from Dawlish warren, fish peeler crab at low water by the wreck or in front of the yacht club and there a lot of school bass with fish going to 3 pound or so and the odd big one, best I heard of last year was just under 10 pound..

Drop me a pm when your down and I'll let you know where's fishing

Atb

Kev

• Like 1

Probably a bit of mackerel fishing mate, what kit have you got?

If you've got a carp rod you could fish a float of some feathers off the breakwater, I use a lightweight float rod fit some of my eel fishing for bass, it's a nice way to fish just letting the eel drift with the current.

What type of fishing do you do normally?

I do carp fishing mainly with a bit of course fishing, I was looking at rods on eBay and some tackle for sea fishing like but I'm not 100% on if its suited lol this is how basic I am on sea fishing is the breakwater the wall type thing lol I'm gonna get a little book or something cos I have no idea what makes a fishy spot in the sea lol is there plenty of mackerel to be had there?

Thanks mate

Yeah mate, the breakwater is basically a wall that goes out into the sea, there is one right in Dawlish town centre and a small one at the end if Dawlish warren beach... Feathering is the most common way to fish for mackerel, it's dead simple, cast out a string of feathers with a weight at the end ( fish the biggest weight your rod can handle) you then jerk the rid back as you retrieve, basically sweep the rod back and windup the slack, then cast out and do it again.. When the mackerel are in you can catch 6 at a time, I don't take loads of fish personally but some will take home a hundred fish,, that's up to them seems a bit over kill to me as frozen mackerel does not make the best of eating..

Drop me a pm when your down if I'm about I'll show you the ropes...

• Like 1