Training A Bushing Dog

Take your dog to a place with plenty of rabbits and even better with a mate who has a good working dog and it will soon catch on . Then the more you work it the better it will be . Make sure you train the dog to come back when you call it other wise you will be out longer then you wanted.

• Like 1

I found with my 2 getting them out ratting improved there bushing and general hunting. thay started on rats quite late really as I didn't have meany permissions for rats at the time. I think with rats there's a strong sent and then strait away thay get to make a kill witch improves there pray drive. I'm not saying i expect mine to catch in cover that often because thay don't but at the end of the day that's why there crashing through the cover to try and catch. I think it also improves there marking. even if ratting isn't ur thing it's worth giving it a go.

What about overexcitement causing recall problems, as sometimes my one will switch off to any commands !

Recall best taught as you're mooching along. Get the dog used to an excited hiss, tone of voice, which the dog eventually learns means: get over here fast, there's something to hunt.

Much easier if you can find another trained experienced dog to work with first, but getting the pup wound up to go and retrieve/find an old rabbit skin under a bramble also works. Make sure the dog always gets a suitable reward for its efforts. Food treats don't work in this situation when the dog is hunting hard and fired up. The only thing that works is more stuff to hunt, even if it is you that has put the stuff in the cover. It's easy to get a terrier pup wound up over a rabbit skin.

The only time I've had to resort to a shock collar was with a particularly 'deaf' terrier: about a year old. Used it twice, but not when working: just out running like a robot after the other dogs. Only used it that one day, spot on recall ever since. Timing is everything with a shock collar.

• Like 1

To be honest, i'd stock break it, and sort it's recall, and maybe a few other bits and bobs, before I started trying to get it hunting hard. Just like any other dog. If bred right, the hunting part should just come. :thumbs:

Ive got a patt pup recall 90% when on playing field soon as were out and gets in cover recall goes out the window... Will not come out and just keeps going from one scent to another.. Hes not getting any better, hes only 10 month will he get better or worse ? Im struggling lads hes me first pup... Cheers

Ive got a patt pup recall 90% when on playing field soon as were out and gets in cover recall goes out the window... Will not come out and just keeps going from one scent to another.. Hes not getting any better, hes only 10 month will he get better or worse ? Im struggling lads hes me first pup... Cheers

My Jack Russell's exactly the same mate, he comes back but just not straight away.

Mine will not come back at all once in, just keeps going going and going, he can hear me as sometimes looks... Just going to keep him from cover for a month work on recall or do i let him do what he does and hope he starts to listen ?

as already said recall etc comes first by all means get him out with a good busher t show him game but not two often or he might just become a follower and be no good by himself or worse one what plays the lurcher game and hags about on edge of cover waitin for chase take him out fo last hlour were rabbs are just comin out t feed heell soon be in ther