Working Collie

WELL IM OFF TO BED NOW UP IM THE MORNING A 5 DAY TRIP LOOKING FOR THESE RABBITS,,WHAT GETS ALL THIS CHAT GOING,, ON HERE,,,LOL

Lucky you, I've a load of sheep to de-dag at feet trim. Guess that collie might come in handy, but I'll leave the bull x at home. Enjoy, and fill ya boots

ONLY GOING TO SPOT IT OUT MATE,, IT MITE BE A LONG LONG WAY FOR SHAG ALL,

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ive lost count of the amount of times ive stood and watched a farmer working his Collie,especially on the hills.The way they cover the ground,tirelessly for hours at a time,working on minimal commands

I worked as a hill shepherd for many years when I was a youngster...I worked sheep and cattle with my collies and also hunted them alongside my lurchers and terriers...and lamped rabbits with them too

Personaly,..   I think you ether get on with herding dogs,.or you don't...

Posted Images

Some dogs tended to wait for deer to bounce of a fence or make a mistake etc etc before they got hold or made a catch, wonder if they were trying to herd the deer instead of catching it? :laugh:

Then again maybe not because this behaviour was also common in crosses without any collie in there makeup :hmm:

• Like 1

dan with the exception of red deer , there are dogs over here that took deer ( pre ban ) (keep myself right here) :angel: with ease . there was a line of lurcher we kept years ago (30) :icon_redface: big dogs 28"-30" hare dogs . these animals would break off hares to go after deer , every time . and if they made contact once it was game over , no fecking about . the one thing that puzzles me is ,, the better deer dogs pissed about on teeth , whereas the lesser deer dog smashed the jaggy boys . strange ? :hmm: very little saluki and no bull blood . just good big dog put to good big dog :victory: the 80s and 90s , everyone had the deer fever :laugh:

• Like 1

I just wanna see a dog go to the head on whatever critter its messin with. I dont care if its a cow or a coon, I want that sumbitch at the front end at least 90% of the time. A good collie should act that way. If they dont then they pure shit in my opinion. You wouldnt know that by playing ball with one.

BTW you bored bro? LOL!

Personally, I like it when they pick the rabbit up by the back and bring it to me sqealling. But, different strokes I guess. lol (not to redirect the conversation :whistling: )

I could see the point of a collie that did some sort of agility work being useful for breeding. Though it most likely wouldn't compare to a dog out working a good part of the day. But like anything else, you really have to look at the dog and see what it offers you.

ATB

Edited by Mickey Finn

dan with the exception of red deer , there are dogs over here that took deer ( pre ban ) (keep myself right here) :angel: with ease . there was a line of lurcher we kept years ago (30) :icon_redface: big dogs 28"-30" hare dogs . these animals would break off hares to go after deer , every time . and if they made contact once it was game over , no fecking about . the one thing that puzzles me is ,, the better deer dogs pissed about on teeth , whereas the lesser deer dog smashed the jaggy boys . strange ? :hmm: very little saluki and no bull blood . just good big dog put to good big dog :victory: the 80s and 90s , everyone had the deer fever :laugh:

Its funny you say that cuz the absolute best coyote dog I ever seen by far wouldnt even a chase a deer. He'd literally just look at me like he was tellin me to f**k off.

Its funny you say that cuz the absolute best coyote dog I ever seen by far wouldnt even a chase a deer. He'd literally just look at me like he was tellin me to f**k off.

there you go pal , is it coincidence :hmm: im talking dogs that hit deer once and game over . seen a big brute of a dog called murdo . a legend on them big boys , one day he was running alongside Charlie and wouldn't lift :icon_redface: seen it too many times ,,, :hmm: ?????????

As Phil Lloyd said earlier in the thread; some people just don't get on with collies (that may not be verbatim but I couldn't find the post to quote it).

I started out with lurchers because that was what I thought I wanted/needed and chose collie crosses becauses they were what I prefered. However, I found, with the benefit of experience, that I actually got on better with the pure breed than one with added sighthound. As I've said many times, I know I'd catch more with a lurcher and the majority of people on here would laugh at the lack of game I catch but I'd rather spend the day with my dogs than anybody elses.

• Like 3

As Phil Lloyd said earlier in the thread; some people just don't get on with collies (that may not be verbatim but I couldn't find the post to quote it).

I started out with lurchers because that was what I thought I wanted/needed and chose collie crosses becauses they were what I prefered. However, I found, with the benefit of experience, that I actually got on better with the pure breed than one with added sighthound. As I've said many times, I know I'd catch more with a lurcher and the majority of people on here would laugh at the lack of game I catch but I'd rather spend the day with my dogs than anybody elses.

good post and thats all they have to please is you, and no one else ....

The collie we have at work he's a big heavy lad about 25 tts always coming Back with rats rabbits and recently leverets once fetched a fox cub back just puts them by the parlour door has endless stamina and isn't hyper works the cows steady until one spins an he's on the nose and has no reverse one day we where moving one off the stud bulls off the cows he turned on me I was stuck between a wall and the cow box nowhere to go ( my own fault not thinking ) and the bull came for me dog got between me an him latched to the nose until I got out got a fair bruising but never let go if that's not game I don't know what is if I were to breed a collie that would be the one I'd use only problem he has rips strips of other dogs

• Like 1

had one on the farm i work on great temprement round people and dogs good worker and caught a few rabbits and rats too ...did think of putting him to a greyhound bitch but nothing came of it sadly ...

I'd say I'd always have a cow dog over a sheepdog required more balls to face some old bitch who decides she isn't leaving the field than a sheep

yeh alot of people say the same, maybe that line of cow dogs got more fire in there belly then. :thumbs:

A crap photo but I got this dog as a birthday present in 1987. He came from a pet home in Nottingham aged 8 weeks and through stubbornness and youthful enthusiasm he made a ferreting/bushing/lamping companion to a keen youngster who really wanted a bedlington greyhound :laugh: ...........

post-1118-0-17056700-1371502759_thumb.jpg

I'd say I'd always have a cow dog over a sheepdog required more balls to face some old bitch who decides she isn't leaving the field than a sheep

I agree in some respects. And have thought the same, but many cow dogs, don't have to do many miles, very often. And spend most of their time moving them about a yard or short distances, not much running. More bullying the stock.

Whereas hill collies often have to run all over the fecking hill, all day long.

Maybe a hill collie that also musters cattle lol. :thumbs:

• Like 2