Hanging Game

Do they not want the guts for checking for disease in the animals?

Well I hang the hares without the guts just like the rabbits :thumbs: works alright for me

Each to their own I guess

ATB

Adam

my missis just read a book "a field full of butterflies" wrote by one of the penfolds , a local gypsy family that settled here and did a scrap metal yard, they reckon to soak rabbit in milk over night! my self i soak in salt water to draw out the blood and urich acid as all ready stated. as for pheasant ..... well if my dog wont eat it neither will i!

I just skin rabbits, run them under the tap and cook them..

I aint had a pissy rabbit..

Used to work in restaurant's years back, often ordered rabbits in and most was stinking of burst shit bags..

Mind I have seen some shocking gutting skills :bad:

Yeah it will.. Its starting the cooking process salt or Acid (vinegar)..

Its drawing moisture/liquid/blood out..

I have done it and have not done it..

I get some nice rabbits that eat heather on the fells, they taste different to the local rabbits.

I have caught and cooked rabbits within the hour lol..

I was hard up few years back and I ate rabbit nearly everyday.. The slow cooker was never off..

Now I would rather give them to my dogs.

right now just because you mentioned "slow cooker" you have got me started! a month back i bought an old "prestige pressure cooker" remember them! £2.50 new seal a fiver it does the 8 hour job of a slow cooker in 20 mins. you could put a pair of boots in it for 40 mins and they would melt in your mouth. a forgotten art!

• Like 1

I always hang rabbits in winter months a day or 2 and sometimes up to 3 days if really cold, but always thumb the belly to release the pee or it'll be retained and can be easily burst making meat taste shite, the rabbit when first shot will not pee but after leaving a few mins to relax all nerves etc it'll go no problem, as for pheasants up to a week in very cold weather but at the mo all meat can be butchered up on arriving home it wont hurt.

Some say pheasants should be left till they have bugs and maggots are crawling from them ...........i think not lol but i read this a lot but a few days hanging is fine but with birds they always say leave the guts in till you ready for em, not sure thats a good idea either and it definately is'nt in rabbits which should be gutted pretty much soon as shot them to give the meat a chance of tasting like meat and not farty old guts lol

Deano

I have pressure cooker to...

Excellent of a stovies type dish..

I like the slow cooker,as you can just leave it running with out fear of it catching..

If I was shooting young rabbits this time of year(3/4 grown).. I would give them a quick wash, dice some veg such as peppers,courgette & abergine place them in chest cavity..

Rub rabbit all over with seasoned garlic butter and roast them in the oven.. serve with new pots and salad.. Its well nice..

scran.jpg

• Like 1

reguarding gutting it used to go like this ''this for the pot?'' meaning mine or his, if it was yes it was pounched when picked up..if not or there were loads its a group effert at the end, that always starts with the ancient skill of of 'who can we con into it' followed by the banter and erghhh my turn is it lolol.

(weighs more for longer if you leave gut bags in).

we once wound some one up on a bad day, he coped well untill the very last hurdle (i thought he'd cheered up), 'can i have the squirrel for fur-the-furrits'..i reply 'hmmm tell yu what go halfers''

feck sake them things just dont want to saw in half hahaha he had a right mood on him and tantrummed the rip saw out..

obviously after 20 minutes ''ahhh go on then you have it'... cleared the air, he realised and was back to funnin again lolol....he was going to saw the woody in half too hahhah

ermm there was three of us mind, but the third backed me up with 'have my third then....'

never hung anything though tbh..always seemed well manky by then. cant beet eating before the hours up tbh.

Edited by ghillies