Great Huntsmen

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well lads great huntsmen,they are not born over night,the same as any trade there is a apprenticeship without a older head on board you are going to have problems,when you first start at the bottom as

One of the main problems is that in the past, to become a huntsman you had to start at the bottom and work your way up until you became the huntsman to one of the smaller pack's, do a few seasons and

Not only are fell and most foot pack differant to there mounted counterparts they are funded differently , selction of staff at mounted pack can be by the master masters , on recommendation , i. D

Sir Hugh Arbuthnott

ex Ludlow

Cotswold

Duke Of Buccleuch

Jedforest

A true hound man, and gentleman.

. Did not know he hunted the cots what years would that have been lint ?

1952-64

Edited by Linton Lad

It's all a bit quite in this section so to keep things ticking over i've got a question for you all.

From your experiences what makes a great Huntsman ?

I look forward hear all your opinions

atb RAW

Knowledge,understanding and above all an overwhelming passion :thumbs:

well one out three aint bad :laugh:

• Like 1

Well lads great huntsmen,they are not born over night,the same as any trade there is a apprenticeship without a older head on board you are going to have problems,when you first start at the bottom as you do ,the only hounds you get are draft hounds that have faults,unless you take over a pack that someone , has had to finish due to ill health,but with these hounds that you have got, you still have to make a bond with them,this could take upto as much as 3 years,they are the same as people,we don't all get on with each other, also as a huntsman we all have a different view about the way the hounds hunt ,or the type of hounds we hunt, as a huntsman we are always in the public's eye,yes it is easy to criticize as a follower,hounds should be doing this and why is'nt the huntsman doing that,as i said it takes 3 years for a huntsman to start to get what he is aiming to achieve in the pack,while all this is going on he also has to please, the i can do it huntsmen,the typical type are the terrier boy's,sorry lads, years ago i was one of them,if we wasn't having foxes in the ground the hounds huntsman was shit,IS'NT THAT RIGHT,back on a serious note,the huntsman has picked a few bitches and dogs that he would like to line,now we are on the road to getting a great huntsman,and a pack of hounds that everyone is talking about,the terriermen have now been silenced because they can't cope,the only problem i have seen over the years is ,not many huntsmen stay in the same job long enough to achieve their gold,thus leaving themselves open for a slaging,(some of them need it)not all of them.But when one huntsman is named in this post,that has given so much sport to people,hunted one of the hardest countries around for forty years,bred hounds and supplied them all over the country and over the water,with success,there is only a handfull of terriermen that would sit in the same room as him and talk about hunting and breeding dogs,as for a natural huntsman,it's the love of the chase,you keep hounds 24-7 you will know what i mean,we are still learning 26 years down the road something different,hounds make talk for good huntsmen and the country they run over OD

• Like 6

Well lads great huntsmen,they are not born over night,the same as any trade there is a apprenticeship without a older head on board you are going to have problems,when you first start at the bottom as you do ,the only hounds you get are draft hounds that have faults,unless you take over a pack that someone , has had to finish due to ill health,but with these hounds that you have got, you still have to make a bond with them,this could take upto as much as 3 years,they are the same as people,we don't all get on with each other, also as a huntsman we all have a different view about the way the hounds hunt ,or the type of hounds we hunt, as a huntsman we are always in the public's eye,yes it is easy to criticize as a follower,hounds should be doing this and why is'nt the huntsman doing that,as i said it takes 3 years for a huntsman to start to get what he is aiming to achieve in the pack,while all this is going on he also has to please, the i can do it huntsmen,the typical type are the terrier boy's,sorry lads, years ago i was one of them,if we wasn't having foxes in the ground the hounds huntsman was shit,IS'NT THAT RIGHT,back on a serious note,the huntsman has picked a few bitches and dogs that he would like to line,now we are on the road to getting a great huntsman,and a pack of hounds that everyone is talking about,the terriermen have now been silenced because they can't cope,the only problem i have seen over the years is ,not many huntsmen stay in the same job long enough to achieve their gold,thus leaving themselves open for a slaging,(some of them need it)not all of them.But when one huntsman is named in this post,that has given so much sport to people,hunted one of the hardest countries around for forty years,bred hounds and supplied them all over the country and over the water,with success,there is only a handfull of terriermen that would sit in the same room as him and talk about hunting and breeding dogs,as for a natural huntsman,it's the love of the chase,you keep hounds 24-7 you will know what i mean,we are still learning 26 years down the road something different,hounds make talk for good huntsmen and the country they run over OD

thanks for sharing that with us OD some good points there.

OD, you didn't mention that truly great huntsmen always bring a big flask of piping hot coffee to share with their followers at the end of the day?

Times have changed so has hunting and the job of the huntsman has changed too but pre ban I always liked to see a huntsman with a good voice who liked to use it and a huntsman who could get a bit excited. I'm not saying that was an important skill and to be honest a noisey excitable huntsman isnt the best combination but I love hunting and it should be exciting, hell I wish I could get on my hands and knees and hunt along with the hounds when they are running. So even if it dosnt make for the best or most successful hunting in the strictest sense of the word, some of the best and most memorable hunts, for me, have been where the huntsman has got a bit carried away himself in the heat and excitement of the moment, though I wont name any names :D

Over in Ireland last season watched a few young lads hunting hounds.If you cannot see them you wouldn't know they where there,I can only presume this is a trend coming from England , No noise no urging on.

Something missing as far as I'm concerned,Wouldn't want to whip to lads like that.

Edited by weasle
Guest Leveller

Personally I like to watch hounds work with the minimum of interference from a huntsman.

I favour the man who has bred a good pack of hounds and has put the hard work in house with breeding and conditioning and can trust his hounds to get on with the job and sort it out on their own. Some of the best hunting I have enjoyed has been when they've gotten away, nobody else present just me and the hounds they know more about hunting than any man could ever know.

• Like 3

Times have changed so has hunting and the job of the huntsman has changed too but pre ban I always liked to see a huntsman with a good voice who liked to use it and a huntsman who could get a bit excited. I'm not saying that was an important skill and to be honest a noisey excitable huntsman isnt the best combination but I love hunting and it should be exciting, hell I wish I could get on my hands and knees and hunt along with the hounds when they are running. So even if it dosnt make for the best or most successful hunting in the strictest sense of the word, some of the best and most memorable hunts, for me, have been where the huntsman has got a bit carried away himself in the heat and excitement of the moment, though I wont name any names :D

Over in Ireland last season watched a few young lads hunting hounds.If you cannot see them you wouldn't know they where there,I can only presume this is a trend coming from England , No noise no urging on.

Something missing as far as I'm concerned,Wouldn't want to whip to lads like that.

i suppose it boils down to individual style i think some believe that the best huntsmen do so in a quite fashion.

that would make my next question. Do vocal huntsmen get more out of there hounds than quite one's?

from what i've picked up there are times when hounds need encouragement and then there times they are best left alone to work it out for there selves. it's easy pull hounds in the wrong direction it's a fine line you have to tread to achieve the best from them in the condition and country your working in. I'm not sure if i get more enjoyment out of watching them righting themselves at a check or pointing them in the right direction when a line is dead.

Personally I like to watch hounds work with the minimum of interference from a huntsman.

I favour the man who has bred a good pack of hounds and has put the hard work in house with breeding and conditioning and can trust his hounds to get on with the job and sort it out on their own. Some of the best hunting I have enjoyed has been when they've gotten away, nobody else present just me and the hounds they know more about hunting than any man could ever know.

you just beat me to it :laugh:

Leveller yeah cannot beat getting away on your own...

Hounds may well be better left alone when hunting,but when drawing its nice to hear huntsman,to know where he is,personally would rather get bollocked by a excited huntsman,than see a lad walking around with a if they do they do if they don't they don't attitude.

If I was a subscriber on a quite day would like to hear the huntsman encouraging hounds,as opposed to see him go into cover then spending the next 40 min wondering where he is.

I also think you can tell when a huntsman ain't trying by watching the hounds.

All part of being part of a huntsman I guess everyone's a critic.