Big Thanks To " Djh60 " .....

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I never post because I havent really got anything to contribute just wanted to say how much I enjoy reading your posts OP, between you Millet and fireman you've made this one of the best sections on t

I'll second that for sure and perfect words OP,i couldn't think of how to put it.

Have you tried mealworm's in that trap yet Pete..the wild bird's here go mental for them.. :yes:

Sorry, mate. Missed that one in all the excitement! I'm f**king Gagging for mealworms!!! Trouble is, out here, arse end of small town back of beyond? I couldn't buy a bloody budgie, let alone anything as 'exotic' as worms.

I Will sort it out though. I'll rig a warmed box set up and breed my own. With mealworms available? My scope would increase exponentially :yes:

Your scope would deffinitely extend Pete..because they all love them at all times of the year..you can also order them online but i don't know status on ordering item's via a card..but if you do manage to source some they will breed readily albeit slow they will breed.. :victory: ..

This is just a quick link i googled if you research a little more i'm certain they could be easier option's available..

http://www.livefoodsdirect.co.uk/Category/Mealworms

Para; No worries, mate. If the young take the time to read my posts, they'll find nothing but absolute enthusiasm. Good example. And links to how to get themselves trained in Ringing.

I had thought of putting something on my Signature, about that I'm a qualified and licensed Ringer. But, I thought that'd be a bit like listing what kit I own. Bit sad.

No. I just carry on chatting to my mates here. They know the score with me. Anyone else wants to try to bust my arse? I figure they can just do a bit of detective work, before trying to police me ;)

. They know the score with me.

:victory: ..keep doing what you are doing it's all good stuff.. i took a picture of a Sisken cock several week's back and it had alittle silver bit of bling on it and i have seen several wader's also with bling on them so to speak (ring's) we know.. ;) ..anyway i think it's a good project for monitering our wild bird's with this ever changing climate..

I never post because I havent really got anything to contribute just wanted to say how much I enjoy reading your posts OP, between you Millet and fireman you've made this one of the best sections on the site :yes:, always the first forum I check when I get on the comp.

Keep it up lads :thumbs:

• Like 3

Have you tried mealworm's in that trap yet Pete..the wild bird's here go mental for them.. :yes:

Sorry, mate. Missed that one in all the excitement! I'm f**king Gagging for mealworms!!! Trouble is, out here, arse end of small town back of beyond? I couldn't buy a bloody budgie, let alone anything as 'exotic' as worms.

I Will sort it out though. I'll rig a warmed box set up and breed my own. With mealworms available? My scope would increase exponentially :yes:

just leave some Liver out and get some Maggots on the go.........live food excites them all this time of year,

• Like 2

Just leave some Liver out and get some Maggots on the go.........live food excites them all this time of year,

:toast: Isn't it just bloody marvellous how blind one can be to the patently obvious?! :laugh: I can barely grasp that you needed to tell me that!

Maggots it is ....! :boogy:

keep up pete ffs lol :boogy: and any you got left over, pop down the brook and put a size 8 hook through it and drop it in the water, the fish will make a valuable change to chops and f****n chips old mate :D

BGD ..... Thank you. There's really no 'Smiley' or trite words that can convey just how deeply that went.

I, for one, am humbled and moved.

I'll second that for sure and perfect words OP,i couldn't think of how to put it.

• Like 2

Just got this chap .....

HOUSP_zpsd55d7b75.jpg

Very under rated birds. Sparrows count, big time, with me too. Because my C Permit endorsement states that I can " Set small traps, for sparrows. And ring any incidental catches. " So, in effect, I'm officially out to catch sparrows. I want to have a good tally, by the end of the year. Show I'm doing my job.

That's one more then :)

• Like 2

They is nothing wrong with sparrow's Pete.. :thumbs: ..since all this pvc modernization has taken place over the past few year's they have lost all there place's to nest near me...so they have addapted and took up residence on the back of the house which is covered in ivy..evry year my back garden is a feed station for them and there young aswell as the blackbird's..the sparrow's get any left over aivery food aswell as chicken food and the black bird's get soaked dry dog food every day.. :victory: ..

I also rigged some nest boxes up for the sparrow's which have never been used.. :cray: ..i wonder if it is because the wall is facing west.. :hmm:

spuggybox002_zps94f17590.jpg

spuggybox001_zps75979036.jpg

West? Industry standard for nest boxes says North, through to East. A life times study has shown me that sparrows will take a North facing, ivy covered wall every time.

Perhaps if the RSPB spent a few quid on chucking up such walls and planting ivy beneath them, on their reserves ....?

Nothing obviously wrong with your boxes. I see you've followed the " Terrace " idea? Personally, I find it a lot less bother to just run up my standardised, single boxes. Then hang as many as the situation merits.

Saying that? I haven't had a single nest in about three years! F**kers have adapted to getting in behind the RSJ's of all these squeaky new sheds the farmers got massive grants to build. Result is that I can't get at them and they completely ignore my lovely, spacious boxes!

So, yeah. My advice? Whack those boxes round the north side. See what happens then.

I bought a terraced street house once. Had the soffits and fascias replaced with gleaming, white UPVC. Then said to the guy;

" Before ye go, mate? Do me a favour and just nip back up there and whack a 32mm hole through that fascia. Every few feet. Let the sparrows in. "

:D

• Like 1