What Kind Of Dog, How You Bush ?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ive owned some lurcher's with great noses,and not scared of cover........... but its absolutely pointless a lurcher pushing into cover for say a rabbit,by the time the dogs half way in,the rabbits ou

I started off with spaniels, being a keeper, and an avid beater. I found that they took to any quarry, but were lacking in range, and not willing to take a line very far. Understandable. So I bred my

i farted tonite an the dogs didunt seem to mind at all so mabe thay cant smell f**k all. the mrs was nearly sick.

I always used to think that I went bushing with my kelpies but after reading this thread I'm starting to think that maybe I'm just taking them for a walk during which they enter bushes etc and occasionaly catch things. :blink::laugh:

• Like 2

I always used to think that I went bushing with my kelpies but after reading this thread I'm starting to think that maybe I'm just taking them for a walk during which they enter bushes etc and occasionaly catch things. :blink::laugh:

you and me both :laugh:

your just dog walkers pushing the odd thing out enjoy your walks lads dont forget the bricks to throw in to move the stuff for your runners :laugh:

• Like 2

you are right mate :yes: this lot are talking about "driving game" , we is talking aboot " bushing " :D

you are right mate :yes: this lot are talking about "driving game" , we is talking aboot " bushing " :D

:laugh::laugh: enjoy the bushing :thumbs:

• Like 1

your just dog walkers pushing the odd thing out enjoy your walks lads dont forget the bricks to throw in to move the stuff for your runners :laugh:

Runners? My three are so bloody slow the only chance they have of catching anything is if it's in a bush! :angel::laugh:

Edited to add: oops sorry Troter 58 I seem to have added my comment within your quote box...if you pardon the expression! :icon_redface:

Edited by Neal
  • Like 1

id expect to miss a lot of game in deep cover that the dog wont be able to sent? each to there own.

I love posts like this, does anyone actually realise how good a dogs sense of smell is?.......it's so good that you can't even comprehend it!!

This is what makes me laugh when folk say they need a smorgasboard of mutts crashing about in the bushes making enough racket to wake the dead just to find game!!......err, you don't .

i would have thought reading between the lines that the first post has been badly worded and the game that is missed hasnt been missed due to scenting ability. more likely a variety of things . some game wont apear without being pushed hard. its one thing being able to find and another to be able to find and then drive it out to waiting dogs and/or guns. (the quarry has fair to middleing scenting abilitty also) and there is definately good bad and average scenting ability. and when scent is poor some dogs cant make much of it whilst others can.

• Like 1

I remember working huge overgrown orchards on fox drives before the ban: over 2 acres of brambles: foxes would run forward then sneak back round the sides: but still invisible from the outside: impossible for a human to know what was going on in there: had to rely on the lurchers: watched them running back and forth heads up trying to follow the scent and which way the fox was travelling. Brilliant fun and amazing watching seasoned lurchers putting themselves in the right place when the fox eventually bolted.

• Like 2

I remember working huge overgrown orchards on fox drives before the ban: over 2 acres of brambles: foxes would run forward then sneak back round the sides: but still invisible from the outside: impossible for a human to know what was going on in there: had to rely on the lurchers: watched them running back and forth heads up trying to follow the scent and which way the fox was travelling. Brilliant fun and amazing watching seasoned lurchers putting themselves in the right place when the fox eventually bolted.

Sounds like a great bit of fun love watching the Lurchers working for them selves :thumbs:

Mine enters cover and works it silently the lurchers hug the outskirts incase anything bolts without any pressure, she only gives Tongue when she's on something, the lurchers then position themselves where they suspect the quarry will appear, and hopefully make the catch.

P1010966_zpsebc0288c.jpg

So what are you doing with your foot? :hmm::D