What Kind Of Dog, How You Bush ?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ive owned some lurcher's with great noses,and not scared of cover........... but its absolutely pointless a lurcher pushing into cover for say a rabbit,by the time the dogs half way in,the rabbits ou

I started off with spaniels, being a keeper, and an avid beater. I found that they took to any quarry, but were lacking in range, and not willing to take a line very far. Understandable. So I bred my

i farted tonite an the dogs didunt seem to mind at all so mabe thay cant smell f**k all. the mrs was nearly sick.

id expect to miss a lot of game in deep cover that the dog wont be able to sent? each to there own.

I love posts like this, does anyone actually realise how good a dogs sense of smell is?.......it's so good that you can't even comprehend it!!

This is what makes me laugh when folk say they need a smorgasboard of mutts crashing about in the bushes making enough racket to wake the dead just to find game!!......err, you don't .

No but if the cover is large . . . . it does tend to help if the dog enters it. . . . rather than you just giving it a wee kick. And certain quarry will not leave large covers unless pressed hard, preferring to just run around inside. From what I have seen anyhow . . . . .

You seem to have a fair problem with folk using smaller dogs to hunt and push out cover? :hmm:

No, I don't have a problem with it.......I have an opinion about certain things but not a problem.

If you only want smoke blown up your arse then say so at the start of each post ;)

Calm down darling. I didn't have any desire for you to blow smoke up my arse, or indeed put anything up there. . . . . . . a drink first would at least be polite!

• Like 1

Ok, a sensible question.....how large does cover have to be before a dog is unable to pick up a scent to hunt in your opinion?

I wasn't suggesting that it would not pick up the scent mate, I was just saying that noisy wee cover bashers do have their place. Plenty of times I been out and the runners know something is in there, but cannot efficiently work the cover in order to make it bolt. As you have said, decent dogs can scent game often miles off, if the wind is right :thumbs:

• Like 1

havent got a clue mate. but if its a big patch you can stand there kicking it all day an nuthins coming out. an it saves geting all torn up by brambles if you have a little dog to go in there and flush it out. its kind of the point of this new section thav set up for us.

Ok, a sensible question.....how large does cover have to be before a dog is unable to pick up a scent to hunt in your opinion?

I wasn't suggesting that it would not pick up the scent mate, I was just saying that noisy wee cover bashers do have their place. Plenty of times I been out and the runners know something is in there, but cannot efficiently work the cover in order to make it bolt. As you have said, decent dogs can scent game often miles off, if the wind is right :thumbs:

I know you didn't say that matey, but it was said on this thread.

Ask a few terrier lads how often they have had a dog off lead only for it to pick up a line and finally found a couple or more hundred meters away in the middle of some wood or scrubby place, working merrily away at some critter.

To say a dog would not be able to pick up a scent at the distance most lads mooching have their dogs running about is frankly ludicrous.

id expect to miss a lot of game in deep cover that the dog wont be able to sent? each to there own.

I love posts like this, does anyone actually realise how good a dogs sense of smell is?.......it's so good that you can't even comprehend it!!

This is what makes me laugh when folk say they need a smorgasboard of mutts crashing about in the bushes making enough racket to wake the dead just to find game!!......err, you don't .[/quot

"A smorgasbord of mutts" lol

A terrier and a couple of lurchers around a bit of cover is a good few hours fun in my book.... Bring Fido down we could make our own Smorgasbord lol

• Like 1

I know you didn't say that matey, but it was said on this thread.

Ask a few terrier lads how often they have had a dog off lead only for it to pick up a line and finally found a couple or more hundred meters away in the middle of some wood or scrubby place, working merrily away at some critter.

To say a dog would not be able to pick up a scent at the distance most lads mooching have their dogs running about is frankly ludicrous.

Yer I agree it's a dumb thing to say as well mate! I cannot account for the words of others. But perhaps their dogs just cannot use their nose. I have seen plenty of lurchers (often dedicated lamp dogs) that could not find game ina phone box, if you tied to round their neck with the phone cable.

My two, and the dogs kept by friends have followed lines for some impressive distances, miles on the hill sometimes.

And yes, I have been out and had terriers do the disappearing act and then be found below doing their thing.

I was not responding to the scenting point. Just the idea that using dogs to work cover was just having a load of mad mutts running about screaming their heads off.

I think we may actually be in agreement?

Ive owned some lurcher's with great noses,and not scared of cover...........

but its absolutely pointless a lurcher pushing into cover for say a rabbit,by the time the dogs half way in,the rabbits out the,other side,and in a hole,leaving you shouting here Bruce here.

Neither do i remember ever seeing rabbits being scared out of cover,because dogs were yapping in cover next to it,after all if they where that easy to get out you wouldn't need a bushing dog you could just walk around barking like a dog :laugh:

Miss the bushing great way to spend a hour on a summers evening.

Edited by weasle
  • Like 8

my terrier whn hes on scent he runs with his nose touching the ground and only speak when he sees what hes after and the lurcher wil follow him and wil do in cover if need be.also dont forget different weather conditions will hold scent better than other times.

• Like 1

Surely it depends on many things: the direction of the wind/breeze for one. My experienced lurchers will deliberately go down wind of a large plot of cover, and if the terriers aren't getting any scent they'll use the lurchers: once the lurchers stand still getting air scent, then the terrier goes in to try and find the ground scent.

Other times when the terriers go in on ground scent, the lurchers will look around and space themselves out to cover the maximum area possible: talking about huge brambles here: maybe house sized. Obviously, working wood land of many acres is something different.

• Like 3

Bushing can be such a varied type of hunting, the land, the quarry, the dogs, the person are all variables. For instance, if you were going out for a fox would you approach things the same as if you were going out for a rabbit? What type of land would you prefer for each? What dogs would you take if you had the choice? What do you want out of the day?

Bushing can be hunting up rough ground purely with a brace of lurchers and a stout stick, hunting tight brambles and hedges with a terrier and a sharp lurcher or knocking large thorns and spinneys through for fox, muntjack or roe............. In each senario I can see the advantages and of course disadvantages of a noisey terrier, a crackers but steady and silent spaniel, just silent hard hunting lurchers, or deep scenting hound crosses. We all find what works for us and quite often simply what we enjoy, whether or not it's supremely efficient.

Personally, I do like a noisey little terrier that won't hunt too far but lets you know what the crack is with a good yip when things are getting hot! I also love seeing a wise lurcher slip into a spinney or patch of thorns hunt it through with that educated nose and explode out yards behind your sunday lunch! How the feck I could hunt thick hedgerows and brambles without a terrier I'm not sure, a spaniel would probably work but that yip really does help in my opinion. Likewise, would I feck want a noisey little thing when quietly trying to hunt other patches out when the lurcher can be slipped from 2, 3 or 4 hundred yards away silently and get the job done. That said, I'll probably get a spaniel or spaniel/terrier next....

Kinda disregarding national laws and times with all this, we can all dream eh? :thumbs:

• Like 4

I like a cover dog to give a yap when pushing game from cover this gathers the troops and less chance of the fox slipping away although they still try. we also try to keep as quite as possible and keep dogs on leads until we are in position then we slip the cover dog in. by the way we hunt swamps that are chocked up with reeds and the foxes love them.