What Kind Of Dog, How You Bush ?

So I've been reading what people require from there bushing dogs and it seems most peoples idea of a bushing dog differ from mine, a dog that gives tongue, dives into cover etc doesn't seem to me the way to go about it, they must scare most of the quarry away before you get any where near. so without trying to cause an argument :whistling::laugh: this is the way I go about " BUSHING "

We're usualy a team of three, me the collie cur and the whippet.

Now the whippet in my mind is a great wee " bushing dog ", nose like a bloodhound, marks like a pointer and takes direction,

when she finds something she'll stand stock still with the " theres something in here boss " look and wait untill I approach and then I'll give her hand signals to where I want her positioned, say usualy the other side of the bush, the collie cur usualy stays on my side, once in position I'll beat the bush usualy with my foot to shift the bunny and hopefully put it in the bag.

this is all done as silently as possible with no dogs giving tongue or crashing in about the bushes as soon as it gets a whiff of something, the only time my two will crash cover is if they're right up th xxse of something they'll follow it in,

wildfoodcass015_zps4b737e56.jpg

Aprilmooch012.jpg

ROEdeer002.jpg

Im not slagging of your method or anything and as long as you enjoy the way your dogs work thats the way it should be but to me it seems like all you doing is pointing not really bushing as such. Id say the most common way well at least for me is just 2 be in the field with the lurcher etc with the busher eg spaniel, terrier or what ever working the cover either flushing it out for the lurcher or snapping it up themselves.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ive owned some lurcher's with great noses,and not scared of cover........... but its absolutely pointless a lurcher pushing into cover for say a rabbit,by the time the dogs half way in,the rabbits ou

I started off with spaniels, being a keeper, and an avid beater. I found that they took to any quarry, but were lacking in range, and not willing to take a line very far. Understandable. So I bred my

i farted tonite an the dogs didunt seem to mind at all so mabe thay cant smell f**k all. the mrs was nearly sick.

I started off with spaniels, being a keeper, and an avid beater. I found that they took to any quarry, but were lacking in range, and not willing to take a line very far. Understandable. So I bred my own cross bred terrier/beagle/cocker and these did the job of fox ejecting very well, from any cover, like reshy areas, to extensive forestry plantations. They would open up like screamers on a hot scent, and my best bitch Jess would even go round game and try to bring it back to me, which meant I could take her out alone, and come back with foxes and roe every day that were driven right past me.

Once I left gamekeeping, I don't have to kill as many foxes, so I now keep Wirehaired pointer that Im entering to boar driving, and tracking, as well as the usual bird and small game pointing. They should also hold a wounded boar at bay. I have a catahoula cur pup from North America, that will be used to drive and bay boar, also blood track deer and drive fox to gun. See how she turns out, but Im hoping for good results other wise its a ton of cash down the shitter.

298.jpg

jessica.jpg

Hollynjess.jpg

loona_zps44fb8353.jpg

Times change, dogs change, but Im always bushing game and vermin!

DnN

• Like 7

Cheers buddy, my dogs rarely get left at home lol so they all end up entered to pretty much everything! I will be fox and boar driving with my gwp and catahoula, I will get pics up of the cat at some point, not got any of her on the comp yet. I will update as I proceed with her. She is well bred. Time will tell mate.

jessica.jpg

How's the chap in the second pic down bred DnN? CockerxFell???

Pretty much aye, some Russell, and some beagle in her too. She was a great hunter. Cast out very well, good finder if there was any game in the cover, it was getting hunted. Hot nosed, open up on track, and drives game well, didn't f**k off into the next county, didn't go to ground, would ignore rabbit and pheasant if there was fox or roe about, but could also be used like a spaniel with the shotgun as she was very obedient, though I never trained her for anything in particular, just worked with her, in her way.

• Like 2

I started off with spaniels, being a keeper, and an avid beater. I found that they took to any quarry, but were lacking in range, and not willing to take a line very far. Understandable. So I bred my own cross bred terrier/beagle/cocker and these did the job of fox ejecting very well, from any cover, like reshy areas, to extensive forestry plantations. They would open up like screamers on a hot scent, and my best bitch Jess would even go round game and try to bring it back to me, which meant I could take her out alone, and come back with foxes and roe every day that were driven right past me.

Once I left gamekeeping, I don't have to kill as many foxes, so I now keep Wirehaired pointer that Im entering to boar driving, and tracking, as well as the usual bird and small game pointing. They should also hold a wounded boar at bay. I have a catahoula cur pup from North America, that will be used to drive and bay boar, also blood track deer and drive fox to gun. See how she turns out, but Im hoping for good results other wise its a ton of cash down the shitter.

298.jpg

jessica.jpg

Hollynjess.jpg

loona_zps44fb8353.jpg

Times change, dogs change, but Im always bushing game and vermin!

DnN

I am extremely jealous! How are the plans coming on for November?

jessica.jpg

How's the chap in the second pic down bred DnN? CockerxFell???

Pretty much aye, some Russell, and some beagle in her too. She was a great hunter. Cast out very well, good finder if there was any game in the cover, it was getting hunted. Hot nosed, open up on track, and drives game well, didn't f**k off into the next county, didn't go to ground, would ignore rabbit and pheasant if there was fox or roe about, but could also be used like a spaniel with the shotgun as she was very obedient, though I never trained her for anything in particular, just worked with her, in her way.

Good to hear, you've basically answered my next question. I like the idea of a dog like that for the work I do, bushing to lurcher and gun, beating and general vermin/keeper work. I have a very general purpose terrier for that but reckon something bigger and stronger would be better suited. Currently a toss up between a spaniel of sorts or a terrierxspaniel. Got to be an adaptable jack of all type dog.

Born Hunter, anything like that, working bred, should do the trick. Bring them up in the thick of it, they go like ducks to water and train easily.

Tyla. November is still on! I will forward updates shortly...

DnN

:thumbs:

I wouldent call the kind I do as bushing.. Well it is but its not serious.. Some stuff I do with friends from up the country we walk reed beds. For hares along moutians and hills. I can't take my terrier up there due to livestock.. The little patches of bramble and headge I do is let my terrier bitch off. My daddy on the right hand side with the beddy cross and me with the saluki whippet.. And whatever breaks each side we've it marked .. My terrier dosent make a sound so its not realy the best.. This season I hope to get out with men that work cover seriously with hounds , lurchers and whatever..