What Kind Of Dog, How You Bush ?

So I've been reading what people require from there bushing dogs and it seems most peoples idea of a bushing dog differ from mine, a dog that gives tongue, dives into cover etc doesn't seem to me the way to go about it, they must scare most of the quarry away before you get any where near. so without trying to cause an argument :whistling::laugh: this is the way I go about " BUSHING "

We're usualy a team of three, me the collie cur and the whippet.

Now the whippet in my mind is a great wee " bushing dog ", nose like a bloodhound, marks like a pointer and takes direction,

when she finds something she'll stand stock still with the " theres something in here boss " look and wait untill I approach and then I'll give her hand signals to where I want her positioned, say usualy the other side of the bush, the collie cur usualy stays on my side, once in position I'll beat the bush usualy with my foot to shift the bunny and hopefully put it in the bag.

this is all done as silently as possible with no dogs giving tongue or crashing in about the bushes as soon as it gets a whiff of something, the only time my two will crash cover is if they're right up th xxse of something they'll follow it in,

wildfoodcass015_zps4b737e56.jpg

Aprilmooch012.jpg

ROEdeer002.jpg

• Like 2

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ive owned some lurcher's with great noses,and not scared of cover........... but its absolutely pointless a lurcher pushing into cover for say a rabbit,by the time the dogs half way in,the rabbits ou

I started off with spaniels, being a keeper, and an avid beater. I found that they took to any quarry, but were lacking in range, and not willing to take a line very far. Understandable. So I bred my

i farted tonite an the dogs didunt seem to mind at all so mabe thay cant smell f**k all. the mrs was nearly sick.

id expect to miss a lot of game in deep cover that the dog wont be able to sent? each to there own.

Thats were a good springer or little lab comes in then.... :thumbs:

• Like 1

this is where I have a problem with yapping, surely a yapper alerts the bunny thats sitting in a bush 30 ft further down the field and I'd expect any decent dog to know when somethings on without the need of a yapper, I suspect you guys miss alot :hmm:

Edited by KittleRox

this is where I have a problem with yapping, surely a yapper alerts the bunny thats sitting in a bush 30 ft further down the field and I'd expect any decent dog to know when somethings on without the need of a yapper, I suspect you guys miss alot :hmm:

It takes more than a yapping terrier to disturb the bunnys where I go...

no mate we see plenty thats why a good bushing team will shine working as a team the dogs not screaming just a yap buts the dogs on and we miss a few but its good sport you never know whats coming out for a run :yes:

• Like 1

I mainly bush bramble patches and ditches covered in bramble, and this time of year also the edges of crop fields with two terriers and have the lurcher on the slip. She can and does work of it well but I prefer having the ability to not slip her in certain situations, locations, and like I said above my two give noise if they pushing something out so even if whatever's home comes out the far side of a bramble patch for example when I do slip the lurcher she knows which way to go because of the noise as do I.

English rabbits mate.......surely thick as f**k... :whistling::D

you guys are doing it awe wrong and I'm right lol

seriously though I suppose its not black and white and depends on the ground you hunt,

roundabout me its mostly ditches, field boundarys/ hedges, small patches of whin etc so I suppose I've honed my methods to work with this type of ground :thumbs: