Wat Makes A Good Bushing Dog?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had a bushing terrier going back a couple of years and whilst she was a very fiesty terrier with a good nose, she would hunt up on scent fields away and had very poor recall when she was on a scent.

dont think id ever get mine to retrive. im lucky to get things ofvher before there ragged to bits.

For what I do and the land I work. . . . .this is what I (think) I require. . . .   A dog that. . . .   Will face any cover, with determination.   Will give tongue when on a good line and when q

Posted Images

lurchers will do the job ly

If the lurchers are in the cover then who's on the outside catching what flirts out? :laugh:

more than 1 lurcher here and they work as a team when use to it daily
good to see the mods enjoying the new section as we know how much they wanted it lol ;)

Imo a good busher won't stray too far from me and the lurcher, can understand me pointing in different directions, gives mouth only on sighting quarry and not just on scent, a good nose, bags of drive, not afraid of brambles/nettles...sure there's loads more but there's a few of the top of my head.

I have a bitch that does all of the above, great little dog she is.

• Like 1

When I first bought my current eldest bushing dog Rust (the old kelpie in my avatar) I already had a lone lurcher who did his own bushing and catching. As a result, the kelpie thought, "Sod this, I'll just wait outside and let him do all the hard work." With time though he realised he'd catch more on the inside and they decided to swap roles.

Although I favour an obedient dog I have to admit my youngest kelpie (approaching six) does occasionaly cock a deaf one. I remember one occasion, when she was much younger, and she was certain there was a rabbit in a sopping wet rape field which was laying almost horizontal. Despite repeated requests, she refused to come out until she'd evicted the rabbit but she paid the price with her cheekbones stripped of skin, leaving her looking like a Seminole with war paint.

Apart from obvious things like nose etc I'd say the most important difference which makes a bushing dog is their attitude and their desire to get in no matter how difficult it may appear.

• Like 1

A dog that will face young nettles all day is something special.

Obediance doesnt have to be gun dog standard as long as they dont go into selective hearing mode.

Think i would be happy enough with somthing along these lines

I want drive, obedience, nose, stamina, balls, intelligence, speed, giving tongue and the right size in a bushing dog.

To me a bushing dog should be a ferreting companion as well. Which means that I also require him to mark and be ok with ferrets.

Since bushing only is fun when you have enough dogs, the dogs should be able to work in a pack. I don't like overly dominant dogs.

Some of my permissions are quite big with only three dogs, I like my dog to range quite a bit. Not only should he be physically able to cover a lot of ground, he should desire to do so.

I bush with a Epagneul Breton, a little JR and a Chiuahua x local terrier. Recently I've been taking a working terrier pup with me sometimes as he'll replace those that will retire in a few years time.

Will try to put op some pics of the bushing pack in the near future.

If hunted (bushing and ferreting) with cockers as well but they don't suit me. They hunt far to close for my liking (character wise, I love them)

I'd like to try a springer or springer cross in the future. I've seen some very handy German Jagd x Teckel dogs as well, which seem very driven and have what I'd like (nose, drive, size, coat) but could lack in the obedience department.

I will also be breeding my Breton in the effort to downsize his offspring.

Edited by Bossie

For what I do and the land I work. . . . .this is what I (think) I require. . . .

A dog that. . . .

Will face any cover, with determination.

Will give tongue when on a good line and when quarry is sighted.

Is highly driven.

Can work independently, i.e is not dancing about my feet, but will get off and work big patches of cover or woodland.

Has the obedience to be at least mostly directed and called back when the game is gone, or has been driven to ground in impossible to reach places etc.

Works steadily and methodically, not madcap dashing about.

Will follow fleeing quarry if the situation arises, out of my sight, at least for a while, until it goes to ground, or is lost, and then will promptly return to me of her own volition (as often I wouldnt know where to start whistling).

CANNOT or WILL NOT fit or go to ground!

Is broken to stock and ferrets.

Will grab quarry if the situation arises and either dispatch, retrieve or hold until help arrives.

Can be worked to the gun, if needed, not to the standard of a spaniel, but to the point where they can be taken out and flush birds for me to shoot.

Marks to ground.

Makes me smile.

I think that's about it. . . . . . . not sure if folk would agree or not, but that's kind of what I have in my mind.

P.S although lurchers will hunt up and work cover well, they cannot do the job of a dedicated cover dog in many places.

• Like 2

For what I do and the land I work. . . . .this is what I (think) I require. . . .

A dog that. . . .

Is highly driven.

Can work independently, i.e is not dancing about my feet, but will get off and work big patches of cover or woodland.

Has the obedience to be at least mostly directed and called back when the game is gone, or has been driven to ground in impossible to reach places etc.

Will follow fleeing quarry if the situation arises, out of my sight, at least for a while, until it goes to ground, or is lost, and then will promptly return to me of her own volition (as often I wouldnt know where to start whistling).

Will grab quarry if the situation arises and either dispatch, retrieve or hold until help arrives.

Can be worked to the gun, if needed, not to the standard of a spaniel, but to the point where they can be taken out and flush birds for me to shoot.

Marks to ground.

Makes me smile.

I think that's about it. . . . . . . not sure if folk would agree or not, but that's kind of what I have in my mind.

P.S although lurchers will hunt up and work cover well, they cannot do the job of a dedicated cover dog in many places.

i have a dog here that will do all of the above and more, so according to you he is a bushing dog. to me hes just a lurcher :tongue2:

A dog that. . . .

Is highly driven.

Marks to ground.

Makes me smile.

i have a dog here that will do all of the above and more, so according to you he is a bushing dog. to me hes just a lurcher :tongue2:

I'm not entirely sure i'd be happy with my running dog giving tongue on scent . . . but each to their own.

This argument could go round and round. . . . . but whatever you say mate, and as good at hunting up and working cover as your dogs are. . . . and trust me, ours are also plenty good at the job.

. . . . . . in a lot of situations and on land we have . . .. there is absolutly no way in hell those dogs could be as effective as a purpose bred small busher, terrier or spaniel.

Obviously you will disagree. . . . . but it's a fact of life :thumbs: